Hello, do I need to keep losing weight or?

Options
I really struggle with my body as I don't feel happy.

I have been doing Insanity. Done it once and am trying it again, but haven't got the motivation. Not sure if that's because I've already done it once over or not. I have nearly finished week three.

I don't know what I'm really asking.

Here are some pictures:

http://s15.postimg.org/mofgpxaqj/back.jpg

http://s18.postimg.org/sbiwi2v2x/side.jpg

http://s23.postimg.org/ezlxh0rwb/front.jpg

I weigh about 12 and a half stone and am 6 foot 1. Went to the doctors and was told I was the perfect weight. Since doing Insanity my scales are actually saying I'm heavier (was about 12, 2)! Not sure whether this is muscle or not.

When I look in the mirror though I see someone who is overweight, with lots of stretch-marks, loose skin from previously being 19 stone.

I'm very obsessive with my weight and it holds me back. I need to do my Insanity workout today, but I keep putting it off.

What do you think I need to do?

Thanks, and sorry. Just at a bit of a stumbling block.

Replies

• _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about weight, if you are still unhappy try recomposing your body. This can be done with weights and there are some great threads about body composition on MFP. You will probably even gain weight, but the results will be more what you are looking for.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    dont lose any more weight
    lift heavy
    also probably go see someone about seeing things
  • BennettV72
    Options
    Personally, I would not say you need to lose more weight. I see ribs in that front view pic!

If you're not happy with the way your body looks, maybe look into toning, etc? But I think losing any more weight would be a mistake as I see you as quite thin.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to lose any weight. You might be happy if you actually gained some muscle. Try eating slightly above maintenance and lift heavy. If you gain too much fat that way, try eating at maintenance. But I don't think you have too much fat, so my suggestion is to eat above maintenance for now.
  • Arthursmama
    Options
    You are not overweight. You are slim. Really slim. Perhaps, if you like, you could do with some more muscles. But if you have already realized that you are obsessive with your weight and you really see yourself as overweight, it is really time to go and see a doctor. You may have a Body Image Disturbance...
  • Thomaslol
    Options
    You are not overweight. You are slim. Really slim. Perhaps, if you like, you could do with some more muscles. But if you have already realized that you are obsessive with your weight and you really see yourself as overweight, it is really time to go and see a doctor. You may have a Body Image Disturbance...

It's Body Dismophia I have so same as Body Image Disturbance I would imagine.
  • Thomaslol
    Options
    Yeah I probably need to start lifting.

I wouldn't know where to start.

I don't particularly like going the gym.

I'll have to Google different stuff. I'd prefer to buy some weights, but I know they can be expensive.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I looked at all of the pictures, and you're thin from all angles - and the side one especially makes you look VERY thin. I agree with the others on here...you should listen to your doctor, and if you're still seeing the person you were at 19 st. then you'd probably be better getting help than trying to lose more weight. If you feel like you have loose skin, then definitely try lifting/toning, because that will fix that, or at least improve it greatly.

You have worked so hard - losing seven stone is no small feat (and this is coming from an American who has, yet again, forgotten what a stone is in pounds...I know seven times that is a lot, I think right around 100 pounds). Please continue to take care of yourself by doing what's best for you: find a way to see yourself as the thin and healthy person you are, and be proud of all you've accomplished!
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I used to be 145 pounds. And thought I was fat for some reason. Now, although I want to lose a few pounds (I'm 173 now.) I'm fairly happy with my body. You are just being insecure tbph. Grow up, learn to accept yourself and if anything, gain some muscle mass.

Cheers

Just because you added your personal experience to your opinion, that doesn't make the way you phrased it any less insensitive or disrespectful, "tbph". Telling someone who may have a body image disorder to simply "grow up" is not going to change the way he feels about himself.
  • Nightwing1990
    Options
    He does need to grow up and accept himself for who he is. I meant what I said, and reality is harsh sometimes.
  • Thomaslol
    Options
    He does need to grow up and accept himself for who he is. I meant what I said, and reality is harsh sometimes.

Yeah it's true, but it's very hard when you see something that a lot of other people don't see.
  • Nightwing1990
    Options
    No, what's very hard is being homeless... Or having cancer. Gl htough
  • Thomaslol
    Options
    I have Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and I might try and do that. My motivation and determination has really plummeted. I just want to go out and buy a massive tub of ice cream or big bar of chocolate to myself.

I just need to get some weights.

Sometimes I go the gym but I find it too intimidating using the weights.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    You might be at a place where you would be happier trying to gain some weight. Have you had your body fat percentage tested? The recommendations I've read are to cycle between 10 and 15% body fat. You look like you might be close to that range. There are plenty of people on here that could give you good advice about lifting. Also, check out bodyrecomposition.com

It might also help to find some sport that can give you fitness goals that are separate from how you look.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    You could also start with body-weight exercises (push-ups, pull-ups, etc.) if the gym intimidates you. Of course, if you can afford a personal trainer, a good one could help you get comfortable in the gym pretty quickly.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    This might be a little off track, but you sound rather down to me. When you mentioned a massive tub of ice cream or big bar of chocolate, that sounded like emotional eating responses, as well as plummeting motivation. I've been at weight loss for a LONG time and I become weary at trying. I'm just wondering if your mood is impacting how you feel about your body. Do you have someone you can talk to?

I also struggle with weight training at the gym, and am thinking about getting a trainer for a few sessions. I think it would help me with the loose skin from so much weight lost.
  • Nightwing1990
    Options
    I have Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and I might try and do that. My motivation and determination has really plummeted. I just want to go out and buy a massive tub of ice cream or big bar of chocolate to myself.

I just need to get some weights.

Sometimes I go the gym but I find it too intimidating using the weights.

Doesn't sound like you want to gain muscle, and because of that you aren't going to.

Cheers
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Also, you've done an AMAZING job with your weight loss! I just looked up stone to pound conversion. Are you eating any goodies on maintenance? With as much as you've lost, and if you are at goal, maybe a little ice cream or a fun size package of candy would fill the urge you are feeling.

I understand looking at yourself and not seeing what others do. I'm 5 pounds from goal, but still see a lot of fat. Others don't see it because the clothes cover it and I pick things to wear that make me look good. But by all the charts and measures I am no longer overweight and I also have a normal amount of body fat. I just have to accept that my body is not ever going to look like the body I had at 16, or like what I THINK other people have.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I really struggle with my body as I don't feel happy.

I have been doing Insanity. Done it once and am trying it again, but haven't got the motivation. Not sure if that's because I've already done it once over or not. I have nearly finished week three.

I don't know what I'm really asking.

Here are some pictures:

back.jpg

side.jpg

front.jpg

I weigh about 12 and a half stone and am 6 foot 1. Went to the doctors and was told I was the perfect weight. Since doing Insanity my scales are actually saying I'm heavier (was about 12, 2)! Not sure whether this is muscle or not.

When I look in the mirror though I see someone who is overweight, with lots of stretch-marks, loose skin from previously being 19 stone.

I'm very obsessive with my weight and it holds me back. I need to do my Insanity workout today, but I keep putting it off.

What do you think I need to do?

Thanks, and sorry. Just at a bit of a stumbling block.

I put image tags around your pictures so others could see them too.

You don't need to lose any more weight, as you are thin enough. However, I strongly suggest talking to someone about your body image issues, which are skewed. No amount of weight lifting, exercise, or weight loss will make your feel okay about yourself, but figuring out WHY you hate your body might.

Best of luck to you. :smile:
  • Thomaslol
    Options
    This might be a little off track, but you sound rather down to me. When you mentioned a massive tub of ice cream or big bar of chocolate, that sounded like emotional eating responses, as well as plummeting motivation. I've been at weight loss for a LONG time and I become weary at trying. I'm just wondering if your mood is impacting how you feel about your body. Do you have someone you can talk to?

I also struggle with weight training at the gym, and am thinking about getting a trainer for a few sessions. I think it would help me with the loose skin from so much weight lost.

Yeah I feel down today. Don't know why.

Yeah I can talk to people, but they just say I don't need to lose weight etc.