Today was my cheat day, I feel guilty

Options
I'm starting from the beginning! I'm new at here (1 month give or take) I'm 18 year old girl, and I have lost over 15 kg. I used to be 68 kg and I'm tall only 165 cm, which is a lot for me. I slimmed down (the process was/still going for period of 6/7 months) now I weight 53 kg. I wear jeans size 25/26/ shirsts size S and etc. Everyone is telling me that I look really good and it's not good to lose more weight and I don't intend to. I feel great when I'm eathing healthy and exercising, but when I cheat with some food I feel really guilty, and I'm afraid that I'm going to gain the weight again. My goals on MFP are to maintain the weight I'm right now, and I have to eat about 1200 calories a day, + (165) my exercise which is 30 mins, 4 or 5 days of the week. I NEVER eat my exersize calories, I eat like 800/1000 calories a day max. Today I had a cheat day and I eat about 1300/1400 and I feel so guilty, and I know it's not that much, but I just can't help it. I don't have cheat days often, maybe like 3 times in a month. I really like to maintain my weight, guys do you have any suggestions how to do that besides sticking to my daily calorie amount and deal with the guilt?

Replies

• JustMeee333
    Options
    Sounds like you're on the verge of developing an unhealthy relationship with food. So, probably need to talk with a therapist.
    You need to stop feeling guilty for eating to live, ultimately.

Also, if you can't deal with the amount of food 1365kcal brings, why not try food that is richer in calories, but less in volume?
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    You have to figure out what works best for you, in the long term. Some people do cheat days, others fit their treats into their daily lifestyle (IIFYM). I really think you should be eating more than 800-1000 calories a day, because I think that's pretty difficult to maintain over the long term.

Have you tried figuring out your TDEE and BMR? TDEE=Total Daily Energy Expenditure, and BMR=basal metabolic rate. The former is how much energy you use during the course of a typical day, and the latter is the minimum amount of energy your body requires. I suggest checking out a site (or a few), plug your numbers in and figure that out.

There are many other people on here who can give you much more detailed information than I, but figuring out your TDEE and BMR is a start.

Good luck!
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    It's a good point to eat richer in calories food, because I know 1300 calories is not much, but I feel so bloated right now. Thanks for the reply. If the guilt thing still goes on I will look for help. (I'm really trying to stop this, I don't intend to feel that way and I don't like it)
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    @DelReMi Thank you so much for the reply. I will look for other sites. Maybe I won't do cheat days anymore, but more like cheat meal? Does this even make any sense? Do you think it's a good idea? lol
  • moragaragazza
    Options
    I agree with JustMeee333. You don't want to start an unhealthy relationship with food. Maybe you don't need the "cheat"day? You say that you feel great when you eat right and exercise so why sabotage that! Reward yourself with something other than food like fresh flowers, manicure/pedicure, or a good soak in a hot tub. You will feel and look great and there is no guilt!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    @DelReMi Thank you so much for the reply. I will look for other sites. Maybe I won't do cheat days anymore, but more like cheat meal? Does this even make any sense? Do you think it's a good idea? lol

Personally, I don't like the idea of a "cheat" anything. I'm definitely in the If-It-Fits-Your-Macros camp. I guess for some people a cheat meal or a cheat day works; my SIL does it, and she looks at it like a way to keep herself on track the rest of the week, because on X day she can have that brownie sundae, or pizza or whatever it is. My MIL did the same sort of thing when she quit smoking- she would give herself a cheat day, and then try not to have one on that day, even though she *could*. It worked for her, but she's a crazily disciplined lady.

Try it out and see if a cheat meal works for you? But I think you might have better results and not feel icky afterwards if you figure out how to incorporate the less than healthy things into your regular routine.

ETA: I want to clarify the above by saying, what I mean is, if you're having a chocolate craving, have a piece of chocolate, rather than deny yourself that desire- all things in moderation makes over-indulgence less likely.