Eating Enough Protein

2»

Replies

• tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    I eat cheese, nuts, meat/jerky/fish, eggs, GREEK YOGURT has a LOT of protein, and LOTS of fresh, crispy veggies. it adds up throughout the day. :)
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Eat lots of meat. Check my diary if you're wondering how it can be done. I regularly get 200g a day with no shakes. Make protein sources the main focus of your meals and you will have no problem.
    What would you suggest for those folks on a budget that makes large amounts of meat cost-prohibitive, or who have ethical qualms (which I'm loathe to debate) about eating animal flesh?

Eggs
    And for vegans, or those who have egg allergies?
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Here's one of my typical breakfasts. It goes a long way toward meeting my 140 grams protein goal/day & tastes amazing!

Land O'lakes - Fat Free Half N Half, 2 tbsp (30 ml)
    Tea - Brewed, prepared with tap water (black tea), 1 cup (8 fl oz)
    Gourmet Nut - Dry Roasted Edamame, 1 oz (30g)
    Kashi - Go Lean Crunch - Honey Almond Flax, 0.5 cup (28 g)
    Chobani - O% Fat Free Greek Yogurt , 6 oz
    Syntrax Nectar - Whey Protein Isolate Fruit Juice Flavor - Caribbean Cooler, 2 scoops (56 g)
    Dole - Pineapple, Fresh, 2 oz.

Calories 580 / Fat 6 grams / Carbs 46 grams / Protein 86 grams / Fiber 13 grams

I find if I can get in a good amount of protein at breakfast, the rest of the day is much easier, since my protein goal doesn't seem insurmountable. And the recommendation for protein is 1 gram/pound LEAN BODY MASS.

Other great protein choices include: chicken, turkey, steak (sirloin or filet), fish, roasted edamame (1 oz + 14 grams protein), protein bars (I love Quest), cheese (light string cheese = 5 grams/stick), greek yogurt. When I have a salad for lunch, I include 4-6 oz chicken, 1 oz fat free feta cheese & 1 oz roasted edamame--that's an easy 40 grams protein in one meal!
  • sydneyplainjane
    sydneyplainjane Posts: 140 Member
    This thread is really helpful! I'd always heard/read that it was 1g of protein per pound, but if it's per LBM, that sounds more reasonable for me - so, I should be getting about 100g's per day, which is more doable.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Ive actually read that if you use 1g/per pound of GOAL weight in protein, that seems to help as well.

Just what Ive read... not saying it works or if it doesn't
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,760 Member
    Eat lots of meat. Check my diary if you're wondering how it can be done. I regularly get 200g a day with no shakes. Make protein sources the main focus of your meals and you will have no problem.
    What would you suggest for those folks on a budget that makes large amounts of meat cost-prohibitive, or who have ethical qualms (which I'm loathe to debate) about eating animal flesh?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
    Read this, includes vegan alternatives. It is hard to get in a lot of protein on a vegan diet, but you should be going for .8 to 1g per 1lb of LBM not your current weight. As some one else mentioned you can use your goal weight, it should be pretty similar to the LBM.

Use PB2 instead of peanut butter to up protein without as many cals. It is dried powder without all the added fat. 2 TB=5 g protein can be added to smoothies and lots of other things as well.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    This TDEE calculator is telling me to eat 1g/lb of body weight, which is 186.2 g of protein per day. Will 15-30% prevent muscle catabolization? I don't want to go through the process of losing weight to lose muscle since I can't lift weights until February. Don't get me wrong, I am not super muscular or anything but I don't want to be burning muscle instead of fat.

If you re not lifting, you will not need quite so much. If you are not lifting however and are worried about muscle loss, I would not be at a deficit in the first place. Try to get some kind of resistance training in.

That being said, I get over 165g a day.

If you arent lifting.. wouldnt you need more to prevent muscle loss? your body has no reason to keep the muscle you do have?
  • DatMurse
    that is far from accurate.

.82 x current body weight is fine
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    This TDEE calculator is telling me to eat 1g/lb of body weight, which is 186.2 g of protein per day. Will 15-30% prevent muscle catabolization? I don't want to go through the process of losing weight to lose muscle since I can't lift weights until February. Don't get me wrong, I am not super muscular or anything but I don't want to be burning muscle instead of fat.

If you re not lifting, you will not need quite so much. If you are not lifting however and are worried about muscle loss, I would not be at a deficit in the first place. Try to get some kind of resistance training in.

If you arent lifting.. wouldnt you need more to prevent muscle loss? your body has no reason to keep the muscle you do have?

Activity increases your need. No activity = less protein required.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member

Eggs

Dairy for those who have egg allergies, and whatever it is vegans eat for vegans. If you're vegan then you need to do more research on this.

Chia seeds, perhaps. Good source of protein.
  • Sarauk2sf

Eggs

Seitan.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    For breakfast I had instant oatmeal, 1/4 cup milk, 35g whey protein powder and 2 TBSP of peanut butter all mashed together. YUM. Total of 45g protein. I aim for a little over 100g a day as I am a distance walker/runner plus work the kettlebell REALLY HARD. I find that with my protein that nice and high I have little trouble staying satiated and have plenty of energy for workouts. I usually do 2 servings of whey isolate a day @ 35g protein each, plus milk, eggs, and whatever meat hubby has on the grill that night.

Edited because I am a dork with the spellingz this morning.
  • DatMurse

wouldnt it be activity increases need for calories so no activity = less energy required?
    well anyway,
    I havent seen anything that would say someone would need lower protein for muscle retention without lifting. Obviously no one would ever create a study over such for something so pointless

OP you cant even do body workouts?
  • Sarauk2sf

wouldnt it be activity increases need for calories so no activity = less energy required?
    well anyway,
    I havent seen anything that would say someone would need lower protein for muscle retention without lifting. Obviously no one would ever create a study over such for something so pointless

OP you cant even do body workouts?

Check out the Aragon and Helms roundtable vid - they discuss it there. (Sorry on my phone so can't link)

Basically, less muscle used, less muscle damage, less muscle repair and so less MPS

ETA: There are some studies also - will link if I find them