i might be an idiot....

Options
so my neighbor and i signed up for a 5k race this saturday morning. i've never run that far in my life! i walk 6 miles a day, 3 to 4 days a week. but running? i'm 20 lbs overweight and 45 years old! i think the paramedics will just follow us and wait for me to keel over. my goal is not to simply finish... but to NOT FINISH LAST!!!!

Replies

• AndreaMMil
    AndreaMMil Posts: 165
    Options
    so my neighbor and i signed up for a 5k race this saturday morning. i've never run that far in my life! i walk 6 miles a day, 3 to 4 days a week. but running? i'm 20 lbs overweight and 45 years old! i think the paramedics will just follow us and wait for me to keel over. my goal is not to simply finish... but to NOT FINISH LAST!!!!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!
  • msamson31
    msamson31 Posts: 45
    Options
    If you are already walking 6 miles a day you CAN do this with no problem. Kudos to you for getting out there and doing it. Let us know how you did!!
  • AndreaMMil
    Options
    Let us know how you did!!
    i will... just as soon as i'm released form the hospital!! :laugh:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race. You don't have to sprint...just jog. When you think you can't go another inch...go another inch anyway and then walk until you feel "recovered". Then jog again. Save your fast run for the finish!!!! There is nothing wrong with finishing last either...that is much better than the person that didn't enter at all. I bet you will do better than you think!!!
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Along the lines of Slow and steady winning the race...
    I have a story that tells this LOUD AND CLEAR!
    Here in Kansas City there is something called the MS150, it is a bike race over labor day weekend. 150 miles from start to finish. a lot of people start the practice for this in March.
    Thousands start, Very few finish.
    So I have a friend that decided one year to join in the ?fun? somewhere around July - August. SO he started with less practice then the rest.
    He thought that he would do one of the days and see how he was doing and go from there.
    AT the same time my mothers karate teacher had been in this race for years, he is an older gentleman, and do I wish I was only 1/2 as fit.
    So my friend got there and saw that there where three groups of people...
    Group # 1 is what he called the bike studs. They are the ones with the special bikes and gear and skin tight outfits.
    Group # 2 is the "Normal" bikers that have not done this before, but they are pretty cocky after all it is a bike trip how hard can it be?
    Group # 3 is the group of people that are at the back of the group, they are a little mix of people in all age groups Most of them had been in this before, And where willing to give advice if asked... This is the group that my friend joined in. He happened to get right next to my Moms teacher.
    At first he was stunned because when the gun went off the first two teams took off like a bat out of H E C K!
    The 3rd group just got on their bikes and started peddling like it was a Sunday bike ride in the park.
    My friend just Happened to get next to my moms teacher. Who said “Do not do that, give it a couple of hours and you will see why.”
    Sure enough a couple of hours later when they where still peddling like it was a Sunday in the park ride.
    They passed the 2nd group. They where panting like they where about to die, and some of them where dropping out of the race.
    a few more hours later they passed a few of the racers in the same condition.
    Yes they got to the hotel latter then the first group, but they beet a large portion of the 2nd group.
    By the next morning over 1/2 of the second group was going home. The third group was tired yes, but they got on their bikes and finished the race.
    My friend was ecstatic.
    Now, my advice for you is. Do not start out like you are there to beat the running of the bull. You are not on a time trial here.
    At first you might be at the back of the pack. But I DOUBT unless there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with you that you will come in last. BUT LETS SAY THAT YOU DID!!! SO WHAT!!! DID YOU DO IT? YES! WAS IT FUN? YES! DID YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW? YES! DID IT CHALLENGE YOU? HECK YES! and THAT my dear is the POINT!!!
    :wink: :bigsmile:
    --Diann...
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Follow the couch to 5k plan and you'll be there in no time :)
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Yay Wanderlust! I remember you talking about this forever ago! And now it's here! You can do it!!!!!! I have faith! And can't wait to hear all about it! Diann pretty much gave plenty of motivation! But...I'm here for you!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • AndreaMMil
    Options
    thanks kistinbee! this is all to gear up for that 60 mile walk in october. i better make sure my insurance is paid up by then because i will fall over dead by the end!
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Wanderlust: you can do it! Already walking 6K. You probably walk faster than I run. Just keep it slow and steady. I took a learn to run course a few years back (older than you are now) and they advocate running 10 minutes, walking 1 minute. A 5 K would take about 3 of these plus a few xtra minutes. I still follow this mantra and FYI I entered 2 races (up and down a mountain) and I wasn't last! Just remember slow and steady like the tortoise and the hare! Let me know how it turns out!

Carol
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    go go go go go!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: I can't wait to hear from you on Saturday!!! :flowerforyou: