what should i change in my diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• _sam125
    _sam125 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    ok i looked at your past week..

despite what some other people have said, WHAT you eat definitely does matter, a LOT. a lot of people say, a calorie is just a calorie, but this is totally wrong. you're body processes different things different ways. i noticed you're eating a lot of processed foods/white bread, which is fine, but i would try replacing these items with whole grains. what you eat doesnt only affect your weight, but your health overall. the body has a very hard time breaking down processed food and fast food, which has a lot of trans fat which is super bad for your body. also, white bread has been processed and has removed all the nutrients from the wheat, so it really does nothing for you.

Of course, these things are totally fine in moderation, but not great for you as an everyday thing.

Also, i would definitely eat more, especially in the protein department. with 1200 calories when you want lose quite a bit, your metabolism will slow down and store the food (as fat!)

feel free to message me if you have any questions :)
  • swissbrit
    Options
    I found this article helpful when I got frustrated with no loss for a while and went back to weighing everything.:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    The type of cals you eat only matters for reasons other than amount of cals, basically the way they affect blood sugar and how the cal is utilized. Cause at the end of the day a cal is just a unit of energy. But it's how the body uses that energy. White and PROCESSED CARBS like bread make your sugar skyrocket and then you crash, because it's HIGH GLYCEMIC, that's stuff that makes you so hungry later once you crash that you literally wanna eat everything in sight. Protein is IMPORTANT because it fights hunger, rebuilds muscle and helps keep you satisfied longer. PROCESSED HIGH FATTY FOODS matter because they generally aren't great for you in high doses because the trans fat etc can wreak havoc in your body. MY problem with the latter is that generally speaking a meal at any fast food joint (mcds, Wendy's etc) is gonna cost you your entire allowance of cals (most of the time). Is it really worth going hungry for the rest of the day? Not logical. Take from all this as you will, but bottom line is you're gonna get half of us saying yes, we did it all clean and the other half saying if it fit in my macros I ate it. And both types have been successful on here. Here's all I can offer:

- ALWAYS use your scale, measuring cups etc. (it's so easy to eat 200 cals in mayo etc.)
    - Try to always sneak in a veg or fruit, do your best to always incorporate clean foods.
    - If there's a better alternative use it. Like kick that white bread and get some good sprouted grains breads etc.
    - Play around with cals. I lost JUST FINE on 1600-1700 NET a day, (35 pds in 5 months, fine with me)

Good Luck!
  • swissbrit
    Options
    I found this article helpful when I got frustrated with no loss for a while and went back to weighing everything.:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

fogot the link Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh:ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell:
  • kaylorraine44
    kaylorraine44 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    From what I saw I think you should add more fruits and vegetables to your diet. As well, try to limit processed foods like pop tarts or granola bars. Good luck!
  • emaybe
    emaybe Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    To our "calorie is a calorie" and fast food-loving friends in this thread... Sure, you can definitely lose weight eating crap if you're careful about counting calories. Hell, you can lose weight by starving yourself or throwing up your food after you eat. But it doesn't mean that you're going to be healthy or keep the weight off after your "diet plan" doesn't provide enough nutrients to sustain you.

The inarguable truth is that if you eat healthy foods, your body will be better nourished. A better nourished body hungers for less. Plain and simple.

Enjoy your processed excuse-for-food weight loss plan if you truly believe it's working for you, but don't push your unhealthy mentality on someone who is legitimately asking for help.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    To our "calorie is a calorie" and fast food-loving friends in this thread... Sure, you can definitely lose weight eating crap if you're careful about counting calories. Hell, you can lose weight by starving yourself or throwing up your food after you eat. But it doesn't mean that you're going to be healthy or keep the weight off after your "diet plan" doesn't provide enough nutrients to sustain you.

The inarguable truth is that if you eat healthy foods, your body will be better nourished. A better nourished body hungers for less. Plain and simple.

Enjoy your processed excuse-for-food weight loss plan if you truly believe it's working for you, but don't push your unhealthy mentality on someone who is legitimately asking for help.

I don't know what in the world you're talking about. I hit my macros every single day. Those are the nutrients my body needs. Those are the things that matter to me. That is healthy... You eat how you want and I'll eat how I want. OP can decide for themselves how THEY choose to live but don't sit here saying we're all unhealthy because you don't want to eat that way and you perceive certain foods as "processed excuses for food". You can be unhealthy eating "clean" if you don't get enough of certain macronutrients.... fyi.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options

Blah blah blah. :drinker:
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

I bet she'd be in a better mood if she just ate a little bit of ice cream...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    if you have 55 pounds to lose you might need to be eating more.

I wondered how long it would take for this old saw to be offered. To clarify: a symptom of "not eating enough" is LOSING WEIGHT. If a person isn't losing weight, well, it's pretty clear that "not eating enough" is NOT the culprit. :huh:

i see reading comprehension skills are on the low o did you really not see the inclusion of the word might? :huh:

There is no "might". What you suggest is impossible.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Lighten up, Francis.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Wow. Not even a full page in and we're full of all kinds of misinformation.

I think the OP needs to faithfully track calories for a week or two and see what happens. My kitchen scale changed my life.

^^this...to both points.

Log absolutely everything. Weigh where possible.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

/smh

Strawman as usual is strawman.

Also, I would argue that either extreme is not the healthiest

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excluding-the-middle.html

Another also...mental health is important as well.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

I bet she'd be in a better mood if she just ate a little bit of ice cream...
    Yep. Ice cream makes me happier. And a diet that includes food you enjoy is more sustainable. That means you will be MORE likely to keep it off, not less.
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Oh dear I feel bad that I turned you on to the forums lol and now you are probably more confused than you were when asking the question. If you want we can go over your food and stuff when I see you tomorrow :) read the article I posted on Facebook too :) sometimes the advice you get is good here, other times it's garbage. Even with all our working out I am losing 1 lb avg per week. If you are doing that too, you are good!!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    only my meats.. if it comes with a label i use go by that..

I would say to weigh and measure everything you eat. Why? Because sometimes 1/4 of a cup of something does not equal the quoted grams. Sometimes the weight on the package is not accurate.

For example, tonight the package of tilapia said a half of a pound. A pound is 16 ounces, therefore half of that would be 8 ounces. Therefore, each piece of fish in that package should have been 4 ounces. Not so. Each piece of fish in the package was 5 ounces, which means the fish in the package was over a half of a pound. Always weigh foods prior to cooking.

Take trail mix as another example. 1/4 cup is supposed to equal somewhere around 30 grams (I think that's what the package says). Well, no, it depends on the pieces you put in the trail mix-,more/less nuts, the same with the dried fruit. When I weighed my 1/4 cup of trail mix, it came to more than the 30 grams.

Peanut butter is essentially a solid. It needs to be weighed as well.

Measure all liquids too when using them. No eyeballing allowed unless you are absolutely certain you can do it. For example, every time my honey says something is a certain amount, it turns out to be. If he eyeballs something and says it's a certain amount of ounces, he is almost always right on. However, cooking is his favorite thing to do, so he has an eyeballing talent. Most of us do not.

In looking at your diary, I notice you have a lot of sodium rich foods, namely potato chips and fast food. You could be retaining some water as well. I would suggest replacing those foods with more home prepared meals.

I also noticed you logged in house cleaning in your diary. That's not exercise, it's part of your day. The exercise you log in is what you do to get your heartbeat going and sweat pouring off you-running, walking fast, weight training, elliptical, bike, swimming, etc.

I notice that your exercise calories seem a bit high too. There is no way you burned 130 calories in 10 minutes of strength training, and I doubt your burned over 200 calories from 25 minutes of low impact aerobics. If you are using MFP's calorie estimations, you might want to put in less calories than it says because they overestimate by quite a bit.

You can also take your heart rate during exercise and estimate your calories that way. Once you know your heart rate during exercise (each time you exercise), you can use this calculator for exercise: http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

Accuracy in logging exercise in and exercise out is a must. :smile:

I think the bottom line is that you are eating more than you think and overestimating your exercise calories.
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Honestly, once you've got your measuring and calorie journal well under control and accurate, I would recommend upping your intake to about 1500 cals and cut out processed foods as much as possible. Also, up the % of your daily intake coming from protein and healthy fats (avocado, but butter, etc) and lower your % intake from carbs. You don't have to go "low carb" by any means, but even dropping your carb intake to 35% of your daily total should make you see a difference :)

I would normally suggest going Paleo, as I saw an insane amount of difference in the first month I made the switch, but many people aren't quite ready to give up grain for good. Good luck!!!!
  • jenladey
    Options
    eat breakfast ( eggs, oatmeal, greek yogurt..) stop eating so much salt and carbs, add
    more healthy fats like almonds, avacados to help yourself stay fuller