new recipes..how to figure out how people it serves?

Options
Makoce
Makoce Posts: 938 Member
So Im trying to make a new recipe on MFP diary for our homemade chilli.
I normally have 1.5 cups of it.
But you can only put in recipes by serving of people??

The whole thing consists of ---
Hunts Tomato Sauce 8 oz - Tomato Sauce , 4 container (9/10 cup (62g) ea.) - 280 calories
Del Monte - Stewed Tomatoes - , 1 container (1.8 cups ea.) - 123 calories
Beans Pinto - Trader Joe's Organic, 1 container (1 4/5 c.s ea.) - 385 calories
Kroger- Per Can Label - Dark Red Kidney Beans, 1 container (1 4/5 cup (130g) ea.) - 385 calories
Onions - Raw, 0.5 cup, chopped - 34 calories
Beef - Ground, 85% lean meat / 15% fat, crumbles, cooked, pan-browned (hamburger), 5.5 serving ( 3 oz ) - 1,197 calories

Total: 2,404

How in the hell would I figure out how many people that serves / what 1 1/2 cups would be?

Anyone? I feel like im making it more complicated than it is.

Replies

• carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Recipes generally are written to do about 8 servings.

What I usually do though is when it's done, measure it by cups into another pot and see how many cups are in the final product, then figure out how many 1 c (or 1.5 or whatever) servings that would be for the whole thing.

I live by myself, so sometimes I'll call it 8 servings (or 10 or whatever) and then I just take about 1/8 out each time and assume it averages out okay by the time I finish it all up.
  • Makoce
    Options
    Recipes generally are written to do about 8 servings.

What I usually do though is when it's done, measure it by cups into another pot and see how many cups are in the final product, then figure out how many 1 c (or 1.5 or whatever) servings that would be for the whole thing.

I live by myself, so sometimes I'll call it 8 servings (or 10 or whatever) and then I just take about 1/8 out each time and assume it averages out okay by the time I finish it all up.

I dont think my family would let me measure it out like that, haha!
    It does make a lot.

I just really wanted to get into knowing exactly what Im eating in my recipes instead of using the database.
    But its obviously harder than expected.
  • Marjrides
    Marjrides Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I tend to "guesstimate" on my larger recipes, but when I make chili and soups we have supper and then what is left I portion out to freeze for future use. I use the same ladle all the time and our bowls hold 3 ladles worth, so I freeze 9 ladles worth in each container ( 3 servings) and figure the number of servings by how many containers I end up with plus, or course, what we had for supper. Since I normally use the same ingredients in the same proportion to each other it usually come out close to what I guesstimated the first time. It is easy to change the number of servings for a recipe if needed when I get done. It may not be exact science but probably evens out in the end. This has worked for me for almost two years on MFP.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I made soup and ended up having to put it in a bowl, one bowl at a time, to figure out how many bowls it made... and it's what I called a serving.

Real pain, I hate doing recipes frankly! Tomorrow I'm making shepherd's pie and it's going to be another nightmare. Will have to guesstimate a lot.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I cant quite work out how much beef you have in that recipe, but about 100g would be a typiclalperperson serve.
  • Makoce
    Options
    I cant quite work out how much beef you have in that recipe, but about 100g would be a typiclalperperson serve.

16 ounces