I am so confused about how many calories I should be eating

Options
MFP has me set at 1200 but I keep reading around the boards that I should be eating more. I can only do light exercise and will often eat back the calories burned (I am supposed to, right?). I don't know what calorie amount I should be aiming for in order to lose weight given my limited ability to workout.

I have only been actively working on my calories for 2 weeks now so I don't have any weight loss history to look back at and see if I am even losing on 1200 calories.

Replies

• p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I don't want to get onto a fad diet that will make me lose weight but completely restrict everything that I eat. I want to be healthier in every way

Listen to yourself. This is a lifestyle change.

Eat in a calorie deficit and you will lose weight. Science. This applies whether you exercise or not.

Eating back the calories you have exercised away makes the exercise pointless, if your goal is weight loss and calorie control.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,099 Member
    Options
    Generally people here choose to aggressive a weight loss goal. The recommendation of 1 pound per week is what most except for those who are obese should start at. If you have only a little to lose less than 1 pound per week might be even better for you. The problem with 1200 calories is 1) Many people who are on 1200 calories don't eat back their exercise calories thus making their deficit much to large leading to lots of muscle loss. 2) Some people default to setting their activity level on sedentary when they are really lightly active, thus making the deficit bigger than it should be.

Since you are eating your exercise calories as you should, I would just stick to the MFP guidelines unless you have set your weight loss goal to 2 pounds per week. If you have done that switch to 1 pound per week and take the calorie guidelines for that eating most of your exercise calories back.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options

Eating back the calories you have exercised away makes the exercise pointless, if your goal is weight loss and calorie control.

Not if she is following the MFP method. MFP already builds in the deficit to lose the amount of weight she indicated when she first set it up. So, yes, she should eat back the exercise calories so that she does not create too large of a deficit and lose weight too quickly.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Follow what MFP has set for you for a few weeks and if you find yourself overeating frequently or getting too dizzy/shaky, increase your intake to 1300-1400 and see if that makes you feel better. Don't worry too much about the number if it works for you and is healthy (1200 or higher per day, according to most professionals). Some people on the boards have strong opinions about eating at 1200 calories, but that's mostly for highly active, male, and/or tall dieters. They generally aren't talking about sedentary, female, and/or short/petite dieters. If you can only do light activity, 1200 calories may be perfect for you.

As long as you're at a deficit, you will lose. I feel better eating around 1380 calories per day, some people might think that's not enough and that's alright because it's my journey and mine alone. Don't do what I've done and worry so much about the numbers that you lose sight of the journey and your goals because your consistent healthy habits are the important part.

ETA: Personally, I do not eat back my exercise calories, but I know a lot of people swear by it. Do what works for you. At 1200 calories, you should probably eat back the exercise calories.
  • slgthatsme
    Options
    You have all been so helpful. Thank you!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Well how much do you have to lose? You might want to switch to 'lose 1lb a week' instead of 2 if you get hungry. Either way, 1200 calories plus exercise calories is fine, you just have to make sure to weigh all your food and not overestimate your exercise calories.
  • slgthatsme
    Options
    Well how much do you have to lose? You might want to switch to 'lose 1lb a week' instead of 2 if you get hungry. Either way, 1200 calories plus exercise calories is fine, you just have to make sure to weigh all your food and not overestimate your exercise calories.

I need to lose at least 75 lbs
  • emaybe
    emaybe Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Exercise is never pointless...