Does ("caffeine free") herbal tea count as water intake, or

Options
I haven't been drinking much straight water recently, but downing tea by the gallon because it's soooo cold!
As I was logging my food just now, I got to that darned water glass and went "wait a minute..."

So, does "caffeine free" herbal tea count as a glass of water? I realize that all tea has a minute amt of caffeine in it, whether or not it claims to be free....

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    yeah it's fine. It's not really pure water you need, but fluid in general (well as long as it's not alcohol ;) ).
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I only count plain water as water, but there are lots of differing opinions on this.
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It totally counts as water! I use it to curb sweet cravings all the time, my favorites are Wild Sweet Orange from Tazo and True Blueberry from Celestial Seasonings.
  • DesertSunsetRain
    Options
    You need 8 glasses of liquid a day.

There are many debates on whether or not you should count it as water.

My belief is that you should count it as water, because you are drinking a liquid. If the liquid has calories, add it to your diary, if it doesn't then just add it to the glasses of water you drank.

I mean drinking 8 glasses of water on top of 4 glasses of tea seems a bit overboard. 4 glasses of each is the same thing. So why not count it as water?
  • Ashleysh22
    Options
    absolutely. all water you drink counts as water intake. tea, coffee, kool-aid, etc. these are all just flavored waters. and on that note, most beverages have water in them. if you are trying to reach a certain goal (ie consume 8 cups of water a day) than yes, absolutely, you should count the tea/coffee.
  • CaseyBee
    CaseyBee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Ohmygosh, have you TRIED the Chocolate Hazelnut tea by STASH? The smell is much stronger than the taste, but WOW.
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options

So, does "caffeine free" herbal tea count as a glass of water? I realize that all tea has a minute amt of caffeine in it, whether or not it claims to be free....

I'm not going to weigh in on the water question (I think it should count but I'm not an expert) but about the tea itself....

Herbals don't contain any caffeine because they don't come from camellia sinensis (the tea plant). They are called "tisane" instead of tea because they are prepared the same way as tea but they come from different plant bases. If it's decaff tea, it will have trace amounts. If it's herbal and labeled "Caffeine Free," it should be totally caffeine free. Rooibos, or "red bush" tea is also caffeine free, as it is a tisane.

(My parents own a tea shop).
  • CaseyBee
    CaseyBee Posts: 163 Member
    Options

I'm not going to weigh in on the water question (I think it should count but I'm not an expert) but about the tea itself....

Herbals don't contain any caffeine because they don't come from camellia sinensis (the tea plant). They are called "tisane" instead of tea because they are prepared the same way as tea but they come from different plant bases. If it's decaff tea, it will have trace amounts. If it's herbal and labeled "Caffeine Free," it should be totally caffeine free. Rooibos, or "red bush" tea is also caffeine free, as it is a tisane.

(My parents own a tea shop).

Oh, you're definitely right. I was thinking of caffeine free COFFEE. Thank you! :)
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I've asked this question to a few doctors and researched it some. They all basically say that it needs to be pure water and the only additives that are okay are lemon or lime juice. The best explanation is basically that when it's not pure water it can be dehydrating as we see with caffeinated products or have sodium in it.

I personally don't count anything by straight water as apart of my daily intake. But more importantly I came to this decision by listening to my body. I know I haven't drank enough water now because I get headaches, and if I drink tea or anything other than water it doesn't go away. I also can now tell that I've had too much sodium because I actually feel dehydrated and see signs in my skin and crave water.

The final thing I look for is the color of my urine. If you are getting enough water it should be fairly clear. The darker it is the more water you need to be drinking.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I've asked this question to a few doctors and researched it some. They all basically say that it needs to be pure water and the only additives that are okay are lemon or lime juice. The best explanation is basically that when it's not pure water it can be dehydrating as we see with caffeinated products or have sodium in it.

So if I drink one cup of coffee, and then immediately drink a cup of water, I can count that cup of water.
    But if I combine and mix the cup of coffee and the cup of water together and THEN drink it, I can't count the water anymore?
    I would rethink what the doctors told you.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

I don't think you've been very rigorous in your research.
  • totalytammy
    totalytammy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What I have learned is that once water has been mixed with any foreign ingredient, your body no longer can separate, absorb and use the water. It simply flushes it out. It might quench your immediate thirst but it wont hydrate your organs which is waters main purpose.

That being said, anytime you eat fresh fruits or vegetables, your body separates the water from the pulp and uses that water. If you juice or cook your fruits and vegetables it combines the water with the pulp and your body can no longer use that water and it can only use a portion of its nutrients. Therefore, if you eat a thick slice of watermelon that could be counted in your diary for calories, but also as a glass of water.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    yes
  • deemartin2
    deemartin2 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Ohmygosh, have you TRIED the Chocolate Hazelnut tea by STASH? The smell is much stronger than the taste, but WOW.

omg that sounds so good! I love STASH Tea I drink their peppermint tea by the gallon!!
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've been connected with two doctor supervised weight loss programs and both said that any decaffinated liquid counts towards water intake. ~
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    Cold water has one great benefit that tea does not, your body burns calories heating the water up. It is one of the few things that you take in that actually expend energy without adding calories.

Edited to add- cold tea would likely deliver the same benefit.
  • juanitamwilliams
    Options
    I am of the opinion that herbal teas would have a dual benefit. Many of the teas I drink are herbal mixes, only a couple have green tea in them. So, what does everyone think of teas with caffeine or sugar versus those without?
  • jerseyjenus
    jerseyjenus Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I count my seltzer as water :>
  • Kanlassak
    Kanlassak Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    nevermind, i'm too tired to be posting on the internet today
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I always count my herbal tea towards my water. Especially now that it's COLD! Yummo!