B12 and B1

Options
I wasa talking to a lady today that told me she has lost 70 pounds over the past year by taking B12 and B1. She said that it raises your metabolizm, has anyone ever heard of this before? I am curious but don't like taking pills but if this works then I am willing to try it.

Any info on this would be helpful. I am not looking for a short cut just a little extra help.

Replies

• RadicalCharlie
    RadicalCharlie Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I watched a vlog about a girl who got B12 shots and lost a lot of weight. I would like to try this out.
  • 1FitMomof4Girls
    1FitMomof4Girls Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's a vitamin supplement. Helpful with metabolism
    Can get it in a combo form called B-Complex
  • lordofultima
    Options
    Just eat right and exercise. It will give you consistent results. Once you stop thinking about scale weight and start thinking about fat weight, you'll get it. I take a B-Complex and a Multi-Vitamin every day, but those things are useless if you don't have good nutrition to surround that supplement.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Here is some helpful info on taking B12 for weightlost http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Vitamin_B12_and_Weight_Loss
  • almyers7
    almyers7 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I take a B12 vitamin in the morning, I am not sure if it is part of the reason but I have lost 15 pounds in 3 months. :happy:
  • cuppycake22
    Options
    I take vitamin B50's as it is supposed to speed up metabolism...I find it does
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it actually helps metabolism, since your muscle mass is what is responsible for that, but I do know from the people I know who have taken it, that they have more energy from it. More energy you have, the more you are able to do, which helps you burn.
  • IndyHannah
    IndyHannah Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have an under active thyroid and part of that is having a B12 deficiency. If you take B12 when you are not deficient it can have some negative effects (diarrhoea being one to name a few). I use it to speed up my metabolism as mine is very low. It might not have much of an effect otherwise. :-)
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    It's not a miracle on it's own...anyone that's lost weight with it has done something else - like exercise and reducing calories....
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Oops double post! I guess that's one post for each B you mentioned!

I had the shots back years ago when I went to a bariatric clinic. It did give more energy to me.
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I do a B52 shot with breakfast, 2 with lunch and 3 with dinner. I'm not losing weight and I'm seeing double but it's all good.

:D

/not really
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have an under active thyroid and part of that is having a B12 deficiency. If you take B12 when you are not deficient it can have some negative effects (diarrhoea being one to name a few). I use it to speed up my metabolism as mine is very low. It might not have much of an effect otherwise. :-)

Not quite true about the side effects of B12. If you are sensitive to B12, you will have the side effects no matter what dose you take though they will be worse as the dose increases. It is pretty hard for someone who doesn't have the sensitivity to take enough B12 to have side effects.

This vitamin also has the benefit of helping brain function and memory. Here in the US, or recommended daily dose of B12 is significantly lower than the recommended daily dose in Japan. They have a significantly lower rate of Alzheimer's Disease than we do here. Watching my aunt live with Alzheimer's is what makes me take B12 supplements. It has been a long time since I did the research, so I can't recall the exact numbers for the Alzheimer's study, but is is out there for anybody who wants more info.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    i question whether or not you gain the pounds back once you stop taking the shots...i know they're vitamins, but seriously do you have to be on them for the rest of your life? aren't we here for a LIFESTYLE change not a quick fix? Calorie budgets and daily exercise seem to be the only thing that actually works...
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Vitamins and supplements are just that---SUPPLEMENTAL to proper nutrition. Just like you can't get all the nutrients you need in a day from a multi vitamin, you can't lose weight by just taking a supplement, either.

With that said, B vitamins are great for a number of reasons including long lasting energy (so you can hit the gym longer!)
  • IndyHannah
    IndyHannah Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Not quite true about the side effects of B12. If you are sensitive to B12, you will have the side effects no matter what dose you take though they will be worse as the dose increases. It is pretty hard for someone who doesn't have the sensitivity to take enough B12 to have side effects.

This vitamin also has the benefit of helping brain function and memory. Here in the US, or recommended daily dose of B12 is significantly lower than the recommended daily dose in Japan. They have a significantly lower rate of Alzheimer's Disease than we do here. Watching my aunt live with Alzheimer's is what makes me take B12 supplements. It has been a long time since I did the research, so I can't recall the exact numbers for the Alzheimer's study, but is is out there for anybody who wants more info.

A vitamin b12 supplement is 50,000% of the RDA. If you start taking the jab this long term to lose weight side effects can include diarrhoea, joint pain and nausea. Plus if you don't really need it it will just cause a placebo effect