Does lifting weights create a greater deficit?

Options
I have no problem exercising, but have developed a bad habit of overeating since the beginning of this summer. I'll be on track for a few days, intermittent fasting to control my portions during the day, then lose my motivation by evening and just give up (see food diary.)

I'm wondering if I should start lifting weights to compensate for my eating, or if you might have any suggestions to keep motivated and curb my carelessness. I was a very healthy 100 lbs and now weigh about 125, and am gaining. If I lift weights will the weight be re-proportioned?

Replies

• peachcats
    Options
    Will it create a bigger deficit?
    yeah.

Rest of your post? Eat less, sorry.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't look at lifting as a way to burn calories. It is a way to change your body comp depending upon a) whether you do it properly b) diet.

You need to rein in your eating habits. No exercise selection can make up for out-of-control choices. Nor should it.

Lift because you want to drop body-fat, or get stronger or add muscle (depending on how you do it and how you structure your diet)
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting? That's probably what's making you overeat. Why not find healthy foods to snack on? I'm not sure your reasoning for fasting. Medical issues you haven't mentioned maybe? I'm just a bit confused.
  • candiceh3
    Options
    Are you doing a lot of cardio?

Read some science journals :). Cardio causes hunger much more severe than weight lifting does, and that might contribute towards your binging.

All things in moderation.
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Weights!? no need

Disregard, lifting is extremely beneficial
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If you're just looking to burn calories, cardio actually burns more. If you're looking into body composition, then weights are great for that. Also, according to height/weight charts, unless you're 5' or shorter, 100 lbs isn't a healthy body weight. But if you are, and 125 lbs really is overweight for you, then exercise COMBINED with controlled calorie intake is the best way to go.
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You cant out-exercise a poor diet. Lifting weights burned calories but think of it as an investment in future workouts. It will help build muscle, give you stronger bones etc.

To be honest, it sounds like you aren't really sure how to go about it. Rule no. 1 of losing weight is calories out is greater than calories in. Period. Break this and you are setting yourself up to fail. I run, weight train etc and eat 2500 calories on some days but still lose or at least maintain.

High protein, high fat diet works for me, medium carbs on a split of 30/50/20 for protein, carbs, fats. I weight train four times a week and run three times a week (as I'm in a strength phase).

If it helps break down your daily calories into groups. I do 700 before 12, 1400 before 4, 2100 before end of day (obviously change the numbers to suit you - maybe groups of 500 so 500, 1000, 1500 to start with.
  • 2spamagnet
    2spamagnet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Lifting won't burn much calories. Cardio will. Lifting will help you gain muscle, but you still need to get okay with being hungry at times. Unfortunately, that is how you know you are in a caloric deficit.

If you eat a surplus of calories over what you burn, and lift weights, you will gain weight in muscle AND fat. No need to do that. You can gain muscle (if you want), and lose fat at the same time. But you need enough protein (0.8 to 1.0 grams per pound, so for you up to 125 grams/day) to build muscle, you need to lift and force those muscles to grow, and eat a deficit of calories (to get your body to burn stored fat).

If you are having more hunger than you can deal with, cut your caloric deficit back some. If you are trying to cut 1 lb/week (500 cal/day deficit), go to 0.5 lb/week (250 cal/day deficit). Or, 100 cal/day deficit will yield about 10 lbs/year. Slower, but go with what you can manage.

When I want to lose fat, I try to keep in mind every time my stomach says "hungry, feed me", what my body is doing is taking stored fat and converting it into the energy it needs. It makes me feel better when I am hungry, and feel less grumpy and more motivated to push on a little longer to my next meal/snack. That has really helped me keep from going off the rails.

Also, if I can keep away from sweets/candy for a few days, I find that cravings for them (mostly) go away... Until the next time I get a taste...

Losing fat is simple, but not easy. Caloric deficit - simple math. Hunger - hard. Keep your focus on your goal. Once you reach your goal, you can up your calories to maintenance levels (add in whatever deficit you used) and not have to deal with the hunger. If you are still losing weight (week to week), you are still below maintenance. If you are gaining weight week to week, you are eating more.

IF can be a great tool for weight loss, or maintenance (if you know you are going to splurge for dinner, or splurged the day before). I find it easier to skip breakfast than any other meals.

You can do it!
  • jimmmer
    Options
    Additionally, I would like to add that no exercise should be done just to burn calories.

Exercise selection should be wiser than that. Weight loss should be a dietary thing. Exercise improves you by increasing your performance against certain metrics.

It's time people got out of the shallow calorie burn approach to exercise.
  • popupvideo
    popupvideo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've read bodybuilders say they have trouble eating enough food, sometimes. I like the idea of that. I generally do intermittent fasting as it helps keep my mind off food until later. Otherwise I just think of it all day.

I do need to get control of my cravings, it's never that I'm actually hungry, I just eat because it's all I can think about. It would be cool to pick up a more healthy obsession - like weight lifting. :p and yes I usually do about 3-4 hours of walking and about 30 minutes of the elliptical. But still not balancing my chocolate chip addiction.
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    After reviewing your profile, I would highly suggest you consult a more-appropriate health professional.
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to build a calorie deficit then cardio is the best thing to do. If you're trying to improve strength, shape and muscle tone then you need to do lifting.
    I run 5K on alternate days purely for the calorie burn, otherwise there would be no pizza, muffins or ice cream in my life, then I'd feel deprived then I break my diet. Exercise has been the magic bullet for me and doing this I have lost weight at a steady 1lb a week since June.
    You just have to find the way that works best for you.

Edited for ipad fat finger syndrome.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    I've read bodybuilders say they have trouble eating enough food, sometimes. I like the idea of that. I generally do intermittent fasting as it helps keep my mind off food until later. Otherwise I just think of it all day.

I do need to get control of my cravings, it's never that I'm actually hungry, I just eat because it's all I can think about. It would be cool to pick up a more healthy obsession - like weight lifting. :p and yes I usually do about 3-4 hours of walking and about 30 minutes of the elliptical. But still not balancing my chocolate chip addiction.

They have trouble eating enough food because they are trying to bulk (which increases muscle and fat - something I sense you are not keen to do). When they are trying to cut, they have trouble restricting their food. It's all about context. With greater understanding, comes context.
  • popupvideo
    Options
    2spamagnet and jimmer-- thank you
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Additionally, I would like to add that no exercise should be done just to burn calories.

Exercise selection should be wiser than that. Weight loss should be a dietary thing. Exercise improves you by increasing your performance against certain metrics.

Nope, I'm definitely paddling in those shallows. Works for me!
    You don't fancy coming for a run with me this morning then?:wink:
  • jimmmer
    Options

Nope, I'm definitely paddling in those shallows. Works for me!
    You don't fancy coming for a run with me this morning then?:wink:

Sorry, got mobility and flexibility work planned this morning!
  • candiceh3
    Options
    After reviewing your diary, I change my mind.

I'm not interested in helping trolls.

A 5'5" woman weighing 120 lbs, aiming for 100 lbs, eating 1000 calories a day doesn't need help.

What is it, school holidays? I wish the trolls would p*** off and leave this place.
  • popupvideo
    Options

When I want to lose fat, I try to keep in mind every time my stomach says "hungry, feed me", what my body is doing is taking stored fat and converting it into the energy it needs. It makes me feel better when I am hungry, and feel less grumpy and more motivated to push on a little longer to my next meal/snack. That has really helped me keep from going off the rails.

Also, if I can keep away from sweets/candy for a few days, I find that cravings for them (mostly) go away... Until the next time I get a taste...

Losing fat is simple, but not easy. Caloric deficit - simple math. Hunger - hard. Keep your focus on your goal. Once you reach your goal, you can up your calories to maintenance levels (add in whatever deficit you used) and not have to deal with the hunger. If you are still losing weight (week to week), you are still below maintenance. If you are gaining weight week to week, you are eating more.

IF can be a great tool for weight loss, or maintenance (if you know you are going to splurge for dinner, or splurged the day before). I find it easier to skip breakfast than any other meals.

You can do it!

I don't know who is supposed to be the troll... but this is really solid advice for anyone interested in gaining motivation to stay (or start, like me) with controlling hunger.

And ElizabethFuller, NICE with working the system and living life. That is also super inspiring. Good work.
  • candiceh3
    Options
    I don't know who is supposed to be the troll...

That would be you.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

No.