Does lifting weights create a greater deficit?

Options

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Additionally, I would like to add that no exercise should be done just to burn calories.

Exercise selection should be wiser than that. Weight loss should be a dietary thing. Exercise improves you by increasing your performance against certain metrics.

It's time people got out of the shallow calorie burn approach to exercise.

No.

Ummm... okay?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Additionally, I would like to add that no exercise should be done just to burn calories.

Exercise selection should be wiser than that. Weight loss should be a dietary thing. Exercise improves you by increasing your performance against certain metrics.

No.

Ummm... okay?

Sorry, I should explain. I don't think anybody needs any high and lofty reason to work out. Burning calories is a perfectly legit reason to exercise. Should there be some type of diet control? Absolutely. But many people exercise just so they can eat more, and there's nothing wrong with that.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Permabulk
  • jimmmer
    Options

No.

Ummm... okay?

Sorry, I should explain. I don't think anybody needs any high and lofty reason to work out. Burning calories is a perfectly legit reason to exercise. Should there be some type of diet control? Absolutely. But many people exercise just so they can eat more, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Ah, I see. Sorry, had my telepathy turned off this morning!

What happens is something like people do a massive amount of calorie burning activity to support their eating habits. Then a holiday happens. Or injury happens. Or sickness. Or they have kids. Or a bereavement happens. Etc, etc. Then they can no longer sustain that high level of calorie burn due to another factor. But they continue to "eat all the foods" because they have used exercise as a tool for calorie management and failed to make habitual changes - thus they undo everything they've achieved through strapping themselves into an elliptical 6 times a week.

There's nothing wrong with it. But it's unsustainable over a whole life. So you're basically doing it for a month? A year? Then what?

And, I might add, having lofty goals isn't a bad thing. So I don't know why you're trying to pitch that as a negative!
  • popupvideo
    popupvideo Posts: 50 Member
    Options

No.

Ummm... okay?

This is a great point to me. From a woman's point of view, eating for the abs and exercising for the skin should rather be the philosophy. I don't think it's a high-and-mighty way of viewing exercise, I think it's a healthy mental position to put cravings into perspective.
  • jennifer_417
    Options

No.

Ummm... okay?

What happens is something like people do a massive amount of calorie burning activity to support their eating habits. Then a holiday happens. Or injury happens. Or sickness. Or they have kids. Or a bereavement happens. Etc, etc. Then they can no longer sustain that high level of calorie burn due to another factor. But they continue to "eat all the foods" because they have used exercise as a tool for calorie management and failed to make habitual changes - thus they undo everything they've achieved through strapping themselves into an elliptical 6 times a week.

There's nothing wrong with it. But it's unsustainable over a whole life. So you're basically doing it for a month? A year? Then what?

And, I might add, having lofty goals isn't a bad thing. So I don't know why you're trying to pitch that as a negative!

I do agree that using exercise as the ONLY form of calorie control is problematic, at best. There does need to be diet modification is almost every weight loss situation.

Also, I don't think that there is anything at all wrong with high and lofty goals, I have many myself and think they are wonderful! All I'm saying is that they aren't required in this situation.
  • popupvideo
    popupvideo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don't know who is supposed to be the troll...

That would be you.

I wanted to know if lifting weights would use my calories in a new way. I'm not sure what constitutes that as "trolling"
  • candiceh3
    Options
    I don't know who is supposed to be the troll...

That would be you.

I wanted to know if lifting weights would use my calories in a new way. I'm not sure what constitutes that as "trolling"

A 5'5 woman aiming for 100 lbs and 1000 cals a day .... not buying it :)
  • jimmmer
    Options

No.

Ummm... okay?

I do agree that using exercise as the ONLY form of calorie control is problematic, at best. There does need to be diet modification is almost every weight loss situation.

Also, I don't think that there is anything at all wrong with high and lofty goals, I have many myself and think they are wonderful! All I'm saying is that they aren't required in this situation.

Well, I opened up on the original theme in the thread because it had probably gone as far as it could go in it's current form and there are interesting things to say about it that often go unsaid.

But it seems like we agree after all!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    After reviewing your profile, I would highly suggest you consult a more-appropriate health professional.

this. Lifting weights is awesome, but you may have deeper problems that will not be cured by extra exercise. Good luck.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You need to seek professional help for your eating disorder.
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You need to seek professional help for your eating disorder.

This. At your height you cannot be a healthy 100lbs.
  • jennifer_417
    Options

No.

Ummm... okay?

Well, I opened up on the original theme in the thread because it had probably gone as far as it could go in it's current form and there are interesting things to say about it that often go unsaid.

Welllll...not to split hairs (I at least hope to do amicably), but you drew a pretty hard line that no exercise should be done for the sole purpose of burning calories, with which I disagreed.
  • jimmmer
    Options

No.

Ummm... okay?

Welllll...not to split hairs (I at least hope to do amicably), but you drew a pretty hard line that no exercise should be done for the sole purpose of burning calories, with which I disagreed.

Ha ha!

I guess I did come off as pretty hardline, didn't I? Before my morning coffee probably! Calorie burn as a secondary goal is fine. As the primary goal? Even if we're on the way towards harmony rather than discord - I can't agree to it!

But I'm a grumpy old *kitten*, so it's probably best to just ignore me!
  • 2spamagnet
    2spamagnet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    2spamagnet and jimmer-- thank you

You are very welcome. I hope it helps in dealing with the cookie monster. :-)

I want to share another thing I have learned from my weight loss. When I chose my goal weight, I used a BMI calculator and chose 10 lbs over the "underweight" level for my height. There is a BMI calculator here:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/

These are general estimates, but a place to get an idea of what is considered normal. When I met my goal, I went to get a hydrostatic weight measurement (we have a facility here that does that, $60 first visit, $40 follow-up measurements). My body fat monitor scale at home was saying I was about 10% BF when I reached my goal. When set to "athlete mode", it read 3.5%. I do not fit the definition of "athlete" so I figured I was somewhere between 10% and 3.5%.

Hydrostatic testing said I had 3.5%... This calculator says for 5'-5", 110 is getting into underweight. Again, general estimates, everyone is different, and they only use 2 variables to determine this rating. You might be at the perfect weight right now, depending on your muscle mass. If you have access to one of the better testing methods in your area for a reasonable fee (hydrostatic, or there is another MRI-like scan the is the latest tech), it would be good to find out where your body fat levels are. 10% to 13% is considered "essential" for women.

Regardless, these tools for controlling weight will help you for the rest of your life. Remember them when you are maintaining, and use them if you find you are creeping up in weight/BF.

(Edit - part of why my BMI calc was off was that I thought I was 5'-10" tall. When I did the hydrostatic weight test, we measured my height to be 5'-11" tall. Either I have grown a little, or I had bad numbers earlier... Also, 5% BF is the recommended lowest that a man should be at, so 3.5% is too low/underweight.)
  • klerato
    Options
    After reviewing your profile, I would highly suggest you consult a more-appropriate health professional.

This
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

When I want to lose fat, I try to keep in mind every time my stomach says "hungry, feed me", what my body is doing is taking stored fat and converting it into the energy it needs. It makes me feel better when I am hungry, and feel less grumpy and more motivated to push on a little longer to my next meal/snack. That has really helped me keep from going off the rails.

Also, if I can keep away from sweets/candy for a few days, I find that cravings for them (mostly) go away... Until the next time I get a taste...

Losing fat is simple, but not easy. Caloric deficit - simple math. Hunger - hard. Keep your focus on your goal. Once you reach your goal, you can up your calories to maintenance levels (add in whatever deficit you used) and not have to deal with the hunger. If you are still losing weight (week to week), you are still below maintenance. If you are gaining weight week to week, you are eating more.

IF can be a great tool for weight loss, or maintenance (if you know you are going to splurge for dinner, or splurged the day before). I find it easier to skip breakfast than any other meals.

You can do it!

I don't know who is supposed to be the troll... but this is really solid advice for anyone interested in gaining motivation to stay (or start, like me) with controlling hunger.

And ElizabethFuller, NICE with working the system and living life. That is also super inspiring. Good work.

I control hunger by eating food. You don't have to be hungry to lose weight...
  • jennifer_417
    Options

No.

Ummm... okay?

Ha ha!

I guess I did come off as pretty hardline, didn't I? Before my morning coffee probably! Calorie burn as a secondary goal is fine. As the primary goal? Even if we're on the way towards harmony rather than discord - I can't agree to it!

Ha, I can be pretty grumpy, too! I'm not sure that total agreement on every topic is required for harmony...so let's call a truce and agree to disagree?
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    This article: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    Gives the science behind weightlifting and is geared towards women. I highly recommend it!
  • jimmmer
    Options

No.

Ummm... okay?

Ha ha!

Ha, I can be pretty grumpy, too! I'm not sure that total agreement on every topic is required for harmony...so let's call a truce and agree to disagree?

Nobody ever accused me of being reasonable - but I'll try anything once!