Need ideas for high protein / low cholesterol foods

Options
JanaCanada
JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
Sheesh! WHY is it that whenever I try to increase my protein, my cholesterol rises exponentially?

Seems like all protein foods are also high in cholesterol.

Any ideas to increase protein without increasing cholesterol would be much appreciated! Thank you! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• JanaCanada
    Options
    Anyone??
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt lotsa protein I like fage 2 percent also if you like meat try bison very hight low cholosteral and fat.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Animal protein with all it's cholesterol increases our HDL, which is epidemically low and promotes larger LDL particles, which are actually less atherogenic...........possibly why Canada doesn't restrict cholesterol and it's consumption at all.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Egg whites have little cholesterol. Grass fed meats will generally have a better fatty acid profile. Plant proteins will not have cholesterol, however they usually (but not always) are carb-heavy.
  • JanaCanada
    Options
    Good ideas! Thank you!

I can get bison rather easily where i live, so that's a must-have. Greek yogurt....ewww, hate the taste, but will try another brand. Thanks again!
  • SurleyDoc
    SurleyDoc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    fish?
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    nuts/seeds, fish, soy products, greek yogurt, legumes, whole grains (wheat berries, etc.)
  • Archanasatyam
    Archanasatyam Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    yup.. this one above..
  • bethiewilliams
    Options
    This is my favourite high protein recipe that might well tick your box:

turkey mince
    curry powder
    dried thyme
    (mix in a bowl and divide into golf ball sized balls)

In a large heavy pan, add a drop of olive oil and soften 2-3 shallots or small onion. add lots of mushrooms and some dried mushrooms that have been steeped in hot water for a few minutes (for flavour)
    add at least 2 pints of good stock and bring to the simmer/boil.
    Add the turkey balls
    If you like a thicker sauce, add a tablespoon of cornflour to some water and add to stock. simmer for a few mins

Simmer for 20-25 mins and serve with cabbage and broccoli or if you have enough calories left, a jacket potato or brown rice.
    Let me know how you get on!