Accountability... no matter what

Options
Hello!

I'm not new to MFP, but I have been away for a long time (a year? two years?) and am ready to start trying to lose weight again. I am 22, recently married, and just moved to a new town. I am 6 ft and weigh probably around 195, maybe a little more. I haven't had the courage to step on a scale in a while. I feel like I have a good idea of what I need to do to lose weight and become more fit, especially since I've done it before, and I have specific goals in mind to make it happen. BUT, I am having a hard time with accountability. I really don't have anybody in my life who I want to broach this subject with (I can *talk* with my husband about it, but I don't want to put him into the position of being my accountability partner, mostly because I know that I will get angry and insecure with him if I feel like he is "monitoring" me). Also, getting on myfitnesspal is not working for me, mostly because it's easy to be anonymous here, and easy to simply not log in. I want to find somebody (or somebodies) who is willing to be a committed accountability partner. That means that if I don't log my meals/ exercise by a certain time or I don't meet my goals, I get an email (or maybe a text?). I'd be willing to do the same for you. I know that for a ton of you, you are finding success just by being on the boards, but I think I need something a little more "in my face". Anybody interested?

Replies

• willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm 23 and 6'2" and could use the same encouragement you're looking for, we can help each other out. I'm adding you!
  • DeeDeeMee
    DeeDeeMee Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy to, but I think we might be in different time zones. Feel free to add me and I'll step in and keep gentle tabs on you. :)
  • hollyanne572
    hollyanne572 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi There,

This may not be what your wanting to hear, however i read something very true the other day on MFP.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with support, and certainly not encouragement...however you need to be accountable to yourself and only yourself. If not, and you let others make you accountable - you are not claiming control over losing weight. Saying that you want to "Try" and lose weight is saying that you are allowing the option of failure.

If you want to truly lose weight, hold your head high and claim your decision, seek encouragement from friends or family and even me! (Ha-Ha i have added you as a friend). But only you decide how you want to live, what you want to eat and whether you want to do some exercise so be accountable to YOU!! :DD and tell this weight loss to bring it on because you are in charge.

Holly x
  • kayla_who
    kayla_who Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent! I can always use more motivation and support!
  • golfmonk
    golfmonk Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent.
  • maadee91
    Options
    Thanks, guys! Feel free to, as DeeDee said, keep tabs on me =)
  • sburns12066
    sburns12066 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with Holly's post. There are too many times in the past that I have had someone that wanted to lose weight with me and we would do the my fitness pal thing for a few weeks, and then usually that person or myself would lose some willpower, then we would stop trying all together. The same goes for working out with me. I think you need to hold yourself accountable, it is a whole different way of looking at weight loss. I know with weight loss I have always been my worst enemy. I always thought if I was out to eat at a restaurant that I needed to treat myself because I had a bad day/good day/needed to celebrate something. This time I am holding myself accountable and I think this is the most motivation I have ever had when starting a diet program. Maybe come up with incentives at every 5 or 10 pounds loss of something that is meaningful to you. I made myself a chart at home the other day of rewards I get for every 10 pounds lost and it is motivating me a lot. I made them all non food related (which is hard because for me food is usually a reward, I love food), but was able to come up with 8 nonrelated food goals, some that are even free to do. They do not need to be expensive. I think you just need to dig deep and whenever you want to cheat or not be accountable think about the reason you started my fitness pal in the first place. It is your body that you want to change, so you need to be the one that is accountable.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    ...you need to be accountable to yourself and only yourself. If not, and you let others make you accountable - you are not claiming control over losing weight.
    QFT

Self control.
  • churrochi
    Options
    I'm looking for something similar as well. Sending you a friend request right now. :)