Diet drinks advice..

Options
Hi,

I am wondering whether Diet drinks such as Diet Coke or Pepsi Max affect weight loss.

I drink a few cans of Pepsi Max, I haven't really noticed it affecting my weight loss target for each week.

But in general could it slow down progress? I know there's a lot of substitutes for sugar in the car that are not great.

Cheers:smile:

Replies

• vanessalkl
    Options
    Hi there! To answer your question-yes, diet drinks/sodas can slow down progress. In order to lose weight, you've got to cut down on sodas and sugar because these two cause bloating and will cause weight fluctuations. Even though the label says 'sugar free', it's still laden with artificial sugar. The best drink is water! :smile:
  • laura0770
    laura0770 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am a diet soda junkie as well! I am trying to cut down and then cut out for good as they have a lot of sodium and do cause a lot of bloating. :happy:
  • TammyS327
    TammyS327 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I dont have the scientific proof but diet sodas are not good for you and can slow your weight loss. In my case I think they contributed to my weight gain.
    Put them to the test. For the next 2 weeks drink only water and follow whatever diet plan you are using and see if it makes a difference. If you loss weight you will have your answer.
    It worked for me.
  • stages95
    stages95 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Will cut them out and see if they improve my weight loss! :)
  • vanessalkl
    Options
    Good luck! :D
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I drink a can of Diet Dr. Pepper every single day, and I've lost 65 pounds. Go ahead and enjoy your diet soda in moderation.
  • rick30316
    rick30316 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When your fat burning engine is revved up, a diet drink will stop it in its tracks. Further, the sodium in those things makes you thirsty for more and makes you retain fluid. Stay away from them. Find flavored fizzy mineral water and get used to the taste of it. It is an adjustment, but you will come to appreciate the clean flavor and feel of them.

I also like drinking unsweetened soy milk with meals.
  • rick30316
    rick30316 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I drink a can of Diet Dr. Pepper every single day, and I've lost 65 pounds. Go ahead and enjoy your diet soda in moderation.

I had a pretty bad Diet Dr Pepper habit, like 6 cans a day.... and for me, quitting completely was the only solution. So, I come from a pretty 'anti diet soda' background... and, IMHO.... the only real reason diet soda would derail your weight loss, would be if it causes you other cravings. Otherwise, for the most part, it should be calories in, calories out... and the diet soda shouldn't by itself, have any significant impact on your weight loss.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    There is evidence in rats that high intensity artificial sweeteners induce weight gain. There are other mitigating factors, but for me, after reading this study, I would avoid using artificial sweeteners (I do anyway, because they don't agree with me).

Adverse effects of high-intensity sweeteners on energy intake and weight control in male and obesity-prone female rats.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23398432
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    When your fat burning engine is revved up, a diet drink will stop it in its tracks. Further, the sodium in those things makes you thirsty for more and makes you retain fluid. Stay away from them. Find flavored fizzy mineral water and get used to the taste of it. It is an adjustment, but you will come to appreciate the clean flavor and feel of them.

I also like drinking unsweetened soy milk with meals.

Do you have any evidence to support this? Because I have never heard this to be true.
  • ElusivePete
    ElusivePete Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I used to be a big Pepsi Max drinker myself. My experience was that cutting out all carbonated drinks really helped my weight loss in indirect ways. As I discovered, the bloating sensation was making my hunger pangs much worse and more frequent. Sticking to still water and other non-carbonated drinks meant that my desire to snack during the day almost disappeared overnight.

In physiological terms though, don't expect any direct effect on your weight loss; i.e. soda doesn't make your body somehow burn fewer calories or whatever. That's not possible because your body's still outputting the same energy, so it has to burn the same amount of fuel. It's also worth noting that the bloating is just gas -- it may make you feel bigger, but it doesn't affect your weight because there's nowhere for the extra weight to come from.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Diet soda has no sugar or calories and will not actually effect true weight loss. The sodium in diet drinks could cause some water retention.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Hi there! To answer your question-yes, diet drinks/sodas can slow down progress. In order to lose weight, you've got to cut down on sodas and sugar because these two cause bloating and will cause weight fluctuations. Even though the label says 'sugar free', it's still laden with artificial sugar. The best drink is water! :smile:
    Disagree. A diet drink labeled with 0 calories and artificial sugar hasn't been scientifically shown to impair weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    When your fat burning engine is revved up, a diet drink will stop it in its tracks.
    Where's the clinical study for this? I for one would like to read it. And don't ask me to google it. If you state it, show us the actual peer reviewed proof or else it's just BS.
    Further, the sodium in those things makes you thirsty for more and makes you retain fluid. Stay away from them. Find flavored fizzy mineral water and get used to the taste of it. It is an adjustment, but you will come to appreciate the clean flavor and feel of them.
    There's more sodium in many "natural" items than in a diet soda. 40 milligrams (on a standard limit of 2500 milligrams a day) is hardly a dent to cause thirst or retain a lot of water.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Which of course states that it's correlation and not causation. Even in the end his biggest concern isn't the diet soda, but the relationship of food choices from people who drink a lot of it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    There is evidence in rats that high intensity artificial sweeteners induce weight gain. There are other mitigating factors, but for me, after reading this study, I would avoid using artificial sweeteners (I do anyway, because they don't agree with me).

Adverse effects of high-intensity sweeteners on energy intake and weight control in male and obesity-prone female rats.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23398432
    Unfortunately studies on rats don't seem to have the same results in humans.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I drink a couple a day (diet Pepsi), but I also consume 90oz of water a day with it. And have been doing this for over 25 years. Moderation is fine.

IDEA Fitness member
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Have a few glasses of pepsi max a day. Helps with cravings and has NOT stopped me losing weight. I don't really believe in the scare stories.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I drink a can of diet coke every day, I also drink 2 litres of water a day. I am happy with my weight loss.