Need serious help on weight loss.

Options
Hey!

So, I'm a male, 26yo, I weight a whopping 191 pounds with 28.6% BF.. I know, it's bad.

First, some time logs:

May 2012 - Stopped going on gym, foot injury.

Sept 1, 2013 - Started going back to gym. I did NOT lift weights, just 30 minutes brisk walk on threads (foot still hurts) and 30 minutes elliptical. Sadly, I don't know my weight back then, but I'm guessing around 206ish... Still eating fried foods

Sept 15, 2013 - I weight 204 pounds. Got this during our company annual medical exam.

October 1, 2013 - I started counting calorie intakes, started lifting weights again.

October 15, 2013 - I weight 196 pounds, with 28.6% BF...

November 14, 2013 - I weight 190 or 191 pounds (scale messes sometimes)

So, it's around 14 pounds in 2 months...

Daily (weekdays) food routine:

Breakfast: 7am
Quarter Roasted Chicken
1 cup of white rice
1 Starbucks Venti Americano (I think it's their black coffee?) - No sugar/cream, plain bitter coffee

Lunch: 11:30am
Steamed chicken breast OR Beef Stew OR steamed tuna (very little salt and pepper)
1 cup Brocolli
1/2 Apple (I really don't like it, but it keeps me full - I eat this first)
1 Banana (roughly 5-6 inch?)

Dinner: 6:30pm
4 slices of Wheat bread with 1tbsp peanut butter in between 2 slices
OR
1 mug of Nutrigen (It's like Nesvita or some oatmeal)
OR
1 small bowl of Oatmeal, no sugar/milk
OR
A small bowl of Chopsuey (mixed veggies)
OR
Vegetable Salad

I haven't got the time on snacks on weekdays, sadly.

I think I average 1400cals/day?

Weekends:

I consider this meat days, but I limit my rice to 1-2 cups.

============

Daily Exercise routine:
Strength:
Chest + Tricep (average weight lifted Chest: 100lbs, average on Tricep : 80lbs)
OR
Back + Bicep (average weight lifted on back: 80lbs, average on Bicep: 40lbs)
OR
Shoulder + Legs (average weight lifted Shoulder: 80lbs, average on Legs: 130lbs)

Plus

30 minutes elliptical, Heart Rate should go around 60-75 (meter's broke soooo)

My dilemma:

I seem to be stuck on 190/191 pounds for almost 2 weeks now (given I only went to gym last week 3x, due to work).

Am I eating too low that my metabolism is slower? Or what did I lose some 2 months ago? Or am I doing something wrong? Should I panic?

I am targeting around 180ish by mid-December, 175ish by early January. Is this goal realistic?

Thanks in advance! Feel free to ask questions too

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    To be honest, i didn't read the whole thing. But if you only worked out 3x last week, i would expect slower progress. Look for ways to be more active.

Also, track bodyfat percentage and inches, not just scale weigh. For an explanation, google "the scale lies".

Also, there's no reason to be eating a cup of white rice & 4 slices of bread. At least switch to brown rice & whole wheat bread (not to be confused with "wheat bread", a marketing gimmick). Better yet, swap the rice for quinoa, oatmeal, buckwheat or other higher-protein carb.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Two weeks isn't enough time to determine if you are really stalled. Sometimes that just happens. I was stalled for three weeks recently, it finally broke, and I lost 3 pounds this week. Bodies are weird, and sometimes they take a while to catch up. You can try increasing your cardio, slightly decreasing your intake, or changing your eating pattern (minimal eating during the day and a large dinner, or large breakfast with minimal lunch and dinner) to try and break out of it, but be aware that these aren't guarantees.

You say you think you average about 1400 calories a day - are you sure? Do you log absolutely everything? Are you weighing and measuring your portions? If not, you could be eating more than you think on accident.
  • knives00005
    Options
    Yeah, I log everything. If I can't find a food, I'll try to take the one closest to it with higher calories just to have an estimate. This is the first time in my life I did calorie counting. :|

And I checked the scale again, maybe you're right, I'm down to 189.5ish lbs... Not sure, but my loss usually occurs near weekend, just a minor observation.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can run reports on average calories, so you should have to think. But you are an active male, you should be consuming way more than 1400 calories. Most women eat more than that. Low calories will just increase the amount of muscle you lose. I don't know how tall you are, but even with 3 days of exercise, you should be closer to 2100 calories (i estimated 5'7). Also, can you open your food diary?
  • knives00005
    Options
    Yes you can view. I haven't logged into weekends though. Do I need to give permissions and stuff?

And yes, I'm 5'7". If I go to gym, lift weights for about an hour (includes rests between sets) and do cardio 30 minutes after, is it considered as moderately active or lightly active?
  • donjessop
    Options
    Check out http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ and see what your BMR is and your TDEE.

Basically, you seem to be eating way below what you should be eating. Seriously below. At TDEE - 20% (assuming exercising 3 times a week, your target should be closer to 2000 calories. You also need to make sure that you are eating the right food at the right time. Before exercising you should make sure that you have carbohydrates in order to provide the fuel for the exercises. If you don't have sufficient carbs your body will actually burn muscle as well as fat. (Although one study says that you burn muscle regardless of the carbs in your body, but the higher the amount of carbs the less muscle you burn. Interesting thought.) 30 - 60 minutes after exercising you should be taking in 20g of protein to help your body rebuild muscles.

You should also make sure that you're eating 25% of your total calories through protein. Up to 35% if you are strength building exercises.

Change things up a little. Expand the variety of food you eat and when you eat it. Above all, get a real handle on the calories that you are consuming and make sure that you aren't trying to rush things along. It took time to build up the weight, it takes time to take off the weight.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Yes you can view. I haven't logged into weekends though. Do I need to give permissions and stuff?

And yes, I'm 5'7". If I go to gym, lift weights for about an hour (includes rests between sets) and do cardio 30 minutes after, is it considered as moderately active or lightly active?

you would have to go to home<---settings<--- diary settings

This way you can make it public
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food?
  • knives00005
    Options

you would have to go to home<---settings<--- diary settings

This way you can make it public

Should be okay now. Tnx.
  • knives00005
    Options

Weigh, as in, how "heavy"?
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    Why are you eating breakfast foods at night and dinner foods in the morning.? Just curious. I'm a little OCD and thought I would ask. I don't eat breakfast foods ever during the dinner time. Secondly as you build your muscle will retain water to repair it so that could be your problem. If your rest days are on the weekends. You aren't exercising so your muscles repair and you drop water weight so you end up loosing. I have that issue going on right now. According to the scale I actually gained three pounds but I can barely move right now from weight training. Just a thought though maybe you aren't eating the right food at the right time of the day. Breakfast should be packed with metabolism booster foods. Fruits and veggies/fiber and should be the highest calorie meal you eat that day. Your dinner should be the lowest calorie meal. Also try gluten free and get rid of the wheat products it can cause all kinds of issues including asthma and bloating. It causes both for me. You can use flaxseed for the fiber and it's actually a lot healthier than wheat. We seem to have this kind of stuff backwards here in America. We also tend to add more gluten to products to make it lighter and fluffier. We like lighter and fluffier here in America. I cut it out and lost 5 lbs in a week. It's slowed down now but so has the weight gain I was fighting. I am actually starting to loose now.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

As with a food scale. It's the only way to know exactly how much you are eating.
  • knives00005
    Options
    Why are you eating breakfast foods at night and dinner foods in the morning.? Just curious. I'm a little OCD and thought I would ask. I don't eat breakfast foods ever during the dinner time. Secondly as you build your muscle will retain water to repair it so that could be your problem. If your rest days are on the weekends. You aren't exercising so your muscles repair and you drop water weight so you end up loosing. I have that issue going on right now. According to the scale I actually gained three pounds but I can barely move right now from weight training. Just a thought though maybe you aren't eating the right food at the right time of the day. Breakfast should be packed with metabolism booster foods. Fruits and veggies/fiber and should be the highest calorie meal you eat that day. Your dinner should be the lowest calorie meal. Also try gluten free and get rid of the wheat products it can cause all kinds of issues including asthma and bloating. It causes both for me. You can use flaxseed for the fiber and it's actually a lot healthier than wheat. We seem to have this kind of stuff backwards here in America. We also tend to add more gluten to products to make it lighter and fluffier. We like lighter and fluffier here in America. I cut it out and lost 5 lbs in a week. It's slowed down now but so has the weight gain I was fighting. I am actually starting to loose now.

I have a problem that if I didn't eat heavy, I will sleep at work. Might be just in my mind, but it's my job that pays the gym, soooo.. :/

Plus, Roast Chicken = dinner? Shouldn't I eat lighter at dinner and heavier at lunch?
  • knives00005
    Options

As with a food scale. It's the only way to know exactly how much you are eating.
    Ah, yeah, I need to buy one first... lol
  • psuLemon
    Options

There are no foods that boost your metabolism. There are some that increase your TEF, but you will only burn an extra 5-10 calories. Second, the timing of your meals or the types of meals will not affect weight loss by any means. Meal timing and meal frequency do nothing for weight loss. It's about the overall consumption of calories. The only time you will benefit from cutting gluten or wheat is if you an allergy or an intolerance. Outside of that, it does nothing. Also, typically, many of us eat our highest calorie meal at the end of the day. Again, it doesn't matter if you eat 1 meal or 10 meals of various calories, in the end, it's all about total caloric consumption.
  • knives00005
    Options

There are no foods that boost your metabolism. There are some that increase your TEF, but you will only burn an extra 5-10 calories. Second, the timing of your meals or the types of meals will not affect weight loss by any means. Meal timing and meal frequency do nothing for weight loss. It's about the overall consumption of calories. The only time you will benefit from cutting gluten or wheat is if you an allergy or an intolerance. Outside of that, it does nothing. Also, typically, many of us eat our highest calorie meal at the end of the day. Again, it doesn't matter if you eat 1 meal or 10 meals of various calories, in the end, it's all about total caloric consumption.

Is it as simple as calorie in - calorie out?

Also, I've read that our bodies could go into "Starvation mode" if we eat less than what is required - which most others claim it's fiction...
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options

Is it as simple as calorie in - calorie out?

Also, I've read that our bodies could go into "Starvation mode" if we eat less than what is required - which most others claim it's fiction...

Can your body go into true starvation mode - yes, but only at a far more severe, more prolonged calorie deficit. Think about people, you know... starving.

Your metabolism can slow down some if your regularly eat too few calories, but that isn't starvation mode.
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    this could easily be more than 1400 cals. The only way I've been successful is to weigh literally everything I put in my mouth. My food scale was only ~$20 on Amazon- best money ever spent. Weigh everything- apple slices, cooking oil, and especially your peanut butter! A tbsp of peanut butter is barely enough to cover a slice of bread very thinly. It's crazy hard to estimate, and the calories add up quickly! If I was making a PB sandwich, I'd put my bread on the scale, zero it, then spread on PB until the scale reads 16g - the precise weight of 1 tbsp of PB. It's easier than measuring cups honestly, and way more accurate.

Also, if you aren't already, cook everything at home. If you're buying that roasted chicken or chop suey from the store or a restaurant, for example, it could have tons of added oil.

Also, why the white rice & the bread? swap for something with nutritional value. #1 choice is quinoa, but brown rice or whole GRAIN bread (1st ingredient must be 100% whole wheat, or even better, try a sprouted grain bread like Ezekiel)

Working out is great and important, but your nutrition is 1,000x more important. If you're eating too much, your workouts won't do much at all for weight loss. Weight loss is 90% food!
  • ruth894
    ruth894 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Only one comment from me on the active status. I have a desk job so have myself set on the lowest activity level then I use my fitbit reading to calculate what I earn calories wise from my bootcamps and log swims and weight sessions for the same reason. Just an idea that has worked brilliantly for me
  • knives00005
    Options
    this could easily be more than 1400 cals. The only way I've been successful is to weigh literally everything I put in my mouth. My food scale was only ~$20 on Amazon- best money ever spent. Weigh everything- apple slices, cooking oil, and especially your peanut butter! A tbsp of peanut butter is barely enough to cover a slice of bread very thinly. It's crazy hard to estimate, and the calories add up quickly! If I was making a PB sandwich, I'd put my bread on the scale, zero it, then spread on PB until the scale reads 16g - the precise weight of 1 tbsp of PB. It's easier than measuring cups honestly, and way more accurate.

Also, if you aren't already, cook everything at home. If you're buying that roasted chicken or chop suey from the store or a restaurant, for example, it could have tons of added oil.

Also, why the white rice & the bread? swap for something with nutritional value. #1 choice is quinoa, but brown rice or whole GRAIN bread (1st ingredient must be 100% whole wheat, or even better, try a sprouted grain bread like Ezekiel)

Working out is great and important, but your nutrition is 1,000x more important. If you're eating too much, your workouts won't do much at all for weight loss. Weight loss is 90% food!

Hey!
    Thanks for the response. I really need to get that food scale. Too bad Amazon doesn't ship here at my country. :|
    White rice's free either from the meal or from my grandma's farm. :o
    The only thing I buy is breakfast, the roasted chicken and the starbucks coffee (15 cals lol). Other foods are prepared at home.

Bread, I read that wheat bread are good foods, just 2 slices, not even everyday. :|