80:10:10 and the crazy pregnant lady doing it

Options

Replies

• DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Irresponsible considering there's another life in the balance.

^^^ this

she won't be getting enough fat or protein on that diet. An unborn baby needs a lot of fat, especially omega 3s for optimal brain development, and also a lot of protein for their development generally. I couldn't really give a monkeys (pardon the pun) regarding anyone, pregnant or not, eating 10 bananas for breakfast because they're a good source of carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals, it's the lack of fat and protein that's the issue.

There's a reason why humans eat more meat than most other primate species, and a lot of it has to do with the large size of our brains. at the very, very least, she should add oily fish or similar to her diet, so she gets protein and omega 3s. If she wants to eat all that fruit, why not, but add in some salmon or mackerel or something...

Both the CDC and WHO state that a pregnant woman only needs 6% of her calories from protein. All the hype about protein drives me crazy. Seriously, how many people have you ever actually met with a protein deficiency? It's so rare. And it's usually not this type of diet that causes it.

I'd be more worried about constipation from 10 bananas at a single sitting than her lack of protein. But then again, I don't really care if she gets constipated, either *shrug*

PS mackerel is NOT recommended during pregnancy because it's high in mercury. I hope you don't talk to pregnant women often...
    The general mackerel is very low in mercury

Bananas are a low residual food.
    American pregnancy reccomends 75-100

And the protein requirement from WHO is based off of a study that was flagged for bias
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

^^^ this

she won't be getting enough fat or protein on that diet. An unborn baby needs a lot of fat, especially omega 3s for optimal brain development, and also a lot of protein for their development generally. I couldn't really give a monkeys (pardon the pun) regarding anyone, pregnant or not, eating 10 bananas for breakfast because they're a good source of carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals, it's the lack of fat and protein that's the issue.

There's a reason why humans eat more meat than most other primate species, and a lot of it has to do with the large size of our brains. at the very, very least, she should add oily fish or similar to her diet, so she gets protein and omega 3s. If she wants to eat all that fruit, why not, but add in some salmon or mackerel or something...

Both the CDC and WHO state that a pregnant woman only needs 6% of her calories from protein. All the hype about protein drives me crazy. Seriously, how many people have you ever actually met with a protein deficiency? It's so rare. And it's usually not this type of diet that causes it.

I'd be more worried about constipation from 10 bananas at a single sitting than her lack of protein. But then again, I don't really care if she gets constipated, either *shrug*

PS mackerel is NOT recommended during pregnancy because it's high in mercury. I hope you don't talk to pregnant women often...

I've been a pregnant woman twice and I'm well aware of the dietary recommendation... mackerel is not on the list of fish to be avoided because of mercury. And it isn't particularly high in mercury either, because it's quite a small fish. Big fish like tuna and swordfish are high in mercury because they're higher up the food chain than mackerel, and toxins accumulate in organisms higher up the food chain.

also, just 6%...? really? where did you get that from? Additionally, the amount of something that's necessary to avoid death (which is what this 6% thing sounds like, if it's a real statistic at all) is not the same as the amount that's necessary for optimum health, and in the case of children (born or unborn) the amount that's necessary for optimum development. Human babies have huge brains, the growth of huge brains requires a lot of fat and protein, which this woman isn't getting. Yes people have mentioned that a diet of big macs is not good in pregnancy either, but big macs at least provide adequate fat and protein. (but yes you also need sufficient micronutrients)

It's all this categorising of food as "good" and "bad" that's the issue here... some people are saying her diet can't be all that bad because fruit is "good", and saying that a diet of nothing but big macs (or whatever) is dreadful because big macs are "bad" - both these diets are nutritionally inadequate for pregnancy. The fruit only diet is badly lacking in macronutrients, and the big mac only diet is badly lacking in micronutrients. Just because people categorise fruit as "good" food, doesn't mean that the fruit only diet is somehow better for pregnancy than the big mac only diet. Both of these diets put the baby and mother at risk, and neither should be encouraged. When are people going to actually start to understand the idea of a *balanced diet*? i.e. one that provides the body with everything it needs, without harming it in the process? Burgers as part of a balanced diet aren't going to do anyone any harm and provide a lot of protein. Fruit is an excellent food, but humans can't survive on fruit alone, because it doesn't contain adequate amounts of protein and fat.

As for people with protein deficiency.... there's no single protein deficiency disease, there's a range of different ones depending on what amino acids are deficient. Also, most people who get insufficent protien also get insufficent calories and fat too, and are diagnosed with protein-energy malnutrition. That's actually quite common. It's very common in 3rd world countries or anywhere that people don't get enough to eat. It's also common in people with certain eating disorders, like anorexia and orthorexia, although they won't have a primary diagnosis of protein-energy malnutrition, the primary diagnosis will with with the eating disorder. Protein-energy malnutrition is rare in the USA among people who don't have eating disorders (i.e. most of the USA) because as much as the standard American diet is deficient in micronutrients, it supplies people with plenty of fat and protein (too much in many cases). But that does not mean that protein-energy malnutrition isn't going to happen if people go to the opposite ridiculous extreme of eliminating fat and protein from their diets.
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

WTH? No there isn't.

Life doesn't begin until after birth.

VYyB5PM.gif

ETA: Have you ever seen an ultrasound by chance? The baby's heart forms around 5 weeks.. I consider that life. (Actually, I believe life begins at conception.. buuuuuut for the sake of argument..) the baby just doesn't magically become "alive" when it is born. It kicks and moves the whole pregnancy. movement = life. heart beat = life. pregnancy = another life DEPENDS on you for survival.

Right. I'm confused by the logic that life doesn't happen until birth. Is a fetus dead until it's delivered? If so, miracles happen every day, and doctors are like Jesus, raising dead babies to the land of the living!!! :laugh:

:laugh: let's just hope "life begins at birth" never breeds.
  • emalinemartin
    emalinemartin Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If she ate McDonalds every day no one would bat an eye.
    She eats a ton of fruits and veggies and everyone loses their minds... what is this world coming to?
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    She eats a ton of fruits and veggies and everyone loses their minds... what is this world coming to?

Actually, I was going to say....what is this world coming to when people believe babies are apparently not alive unless outside a uterus?

She's not just eating tons of fruits and veggies - she's making 80% of her total intake fruits and veggies while pregnant. That's not balanced.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Actually, I was going to say....what is this world coming to when people believe babies are apparently not alive unless outside a uterus?

She's not just eating tons of fruits and veggies - she's making 80% of her total intake fruits and veggies while pregnant. That's not balanced.

I wouldn't even go so far as to say she is eating tons of fruits and veggies. She is eating half a watermelon, a banana smoothie or whole oranges, then five or six mangos for lunch and a large salad for dinner. That's not even a large variety.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options

WTH? No there isn't.

Life doesn't begin until after birth.

VYyB5PM.gif

ETA: Have you ever seen an ultrasound by chance? The baby's heart forms around 5 weeks.. I consider that life. (Actually, I believe life begins at conception.. buuuuuut for the sake of argument..) the baby just doesn't magically become "alive" when it is born. It kicks and moves the whole pregnancy. movement = life. heart beat = life. pregnancy = another life DEPENDS on you for survival.

Right. I'm confused by the logic that life doesn't happen until birth. Is a fetus dead until it's delivered? If so, miracles happen every day, and doctors are like Jesus, raising dead babies to the land of the living!!! :laugh:

:laugh: let's just hope "life begins at birth" never breeds.

Now that was uncalled for, smdh
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I read an interesting news article this morning about an Australian woman who is following a diet consisting of 80% carbohydrate, 10% protein and 10% fat... and she is pregnant.

She eats pretty much just fruit, which includes 20 bananas a day. Aside from the fact that I personally think this is a crazy diet for any normal person to follow I can't believe she is doing this while she is pregnant. Babies need protein, and wouldn't she be at risk of gestational diabetes?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/13/loni-jane-anthony-10-bananas_n_4266902.html

What do you think?

She will not only be at risk for metabolic syndrome but pancreatic cancer as well if she sticks to a fruitarian diet. (Recent research strongly suggests an association between fruitarianism--where most or all of the diet is comprised of fruit--and pancreatic cancer. Steve Jobs was a fruitarian for many years and, as you all probably know, died of pancreatic cancer.) Excessive intake of fructose (the predominant sugar in fruit) has been associated with both metabolic syndrome and pancreatic cancer. She is not necessarily at higher risk for gestational diabetes but there is some evidence that a lack of protein could put her at an increased risk for pre-eclampsia--which, if untreated can go on to eclampsia--a deadly complication of pregnancy.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    ETA: humans and pandas are the only animals that eat contrary to our evolutionary design - pandas are supposed to be carnivores and humans vegetarian so our bodies generally find a way (since learning this I have NOT given up my steaks)

humans are not "supposed to be vegetarian"... that came from someone who's never studied human evolution and who knows very little about primate biology. Primates are on the whole omnivores. The more vegetarian ones (not even sure if they're exclusively vegetarian) have smaller brains for body size, and the ones that eat more animal protein (which includes insects) have larger brains for body size. And within human evolution, eating more meat led to brains getting larger. In fact without animal protein, we wouldn't be having this conversation, we'd be sitting in trees thinking of nothing more complex than how to find more leaves to eat. Of all the great apes, none are herbivorous. Vegans and vegetarians like to talk about gorillas, but gorillas eat insects and they also have the smallest brain for body size of all the great apes. Humans have the largest and eat the most meat, chimps and bonobos have the second largest brains out of the great apes (largest out of the non-human great apes) and they eat small mammals, e.g. monkeys (and they hunt them co-operatively, possibly similar to how very early human ancestors hunted)

so keep enjoying your steak, and thank your Homo habilis ancestors for inventing stone tools for smashing animal bones to extract bone marrow from bones, and your Homo erectus ancestors for doing persistence hunting to be able to catch larger animals and get more meat, and either Homo erectus or Homo heidelbergensis for discovering how to control fire, and cook meat, thus increasing the bioavailability of the nutrients in meat thus leading to growing even bigger brains, and finally to Homo neanderthalensis and Homo sapiens for having the biggest brains and using complex hunting techniques to bring down huge animals. Without meat, we wouldn't have evolved large brains.

Re primates having evolved from vegetarian animals... not sure whether the common ancestor of all primates was vegetarian or ominvorous, but probably if you go back far enough you can probably find a herbivorous ancestor... but evolution is like that, it's dynamic. Organisms don't generally just find a niche and stick to it. The environment is constantly changing and organisms are constantly adapting to it, and that often means changes in diet such that many organisms are not perfectly adapted for the environment they currently live in, including the diet that they eat. Failure to adapt = extinction. So it's not just humans and pandas that have had to adapt to different diets to evolutionary ancestors, it's all organisms all the time.

And, it if is a girl baby she is carrying, she could not only be damaging the baby's reproductive capacity (a girl baby is born with ALL of the eggs she will ever have in her ovaries) but the lives of her daughter's children as well. This has been demonstrated through the science of epigenetics.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    My opinion, she could have waited nine months to start a crazy diet
  • cannibaldoll
    cannibaldoll Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've seen my pregnant family members smash down fast food filled with AMMONIA and soda, coffee, smoke cigarettes and DRINK ALCOHOL. NO ONE EVER SAID A THING.

Yet, she wants to eat FRUITS AND VEGETABLES?!?!?!

WHOA BUDDY! All of a sudden this makes her a bad person?

Fruits and vegetables contain VITAMINS that are vital to her health, as the health of the fetus she is carrying. I HIGHLY doubt when her child is born, that it will be born with any deficiencies due to her eating HEALTHY.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I've seen my pregnant family members smash down fast food filled with AMMONIA and soda, coffee, smoke cigarettes and DRINK ALCOHOL. NO ONE EVER SAID A THING.

Yet, she wants to eat FRUITS AND VEGETABLES?!?!?!

WHOA BUDDY! All of a sudden this makes her a bad person?

Fruits and vegetables contain VITAMINS that are vital to her health, as the health of the fetus she is carrying. I HIGHLY doubt when her child is born, that it will be born with any deficiencies due to her eating HEALTHY.

They didn't blog about it. I am sure if they did now, like she is, they would incur just as much or more wrath.

And one type of fruit for breakfast and one type of fruit for lunch followed by a salad for supper may contain tons of select vitamins and minerals but certainly not all. It is still a very lacking diet.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    then thats your fault for not saying anything
    How do you know the nurses doing antepartum care didnt think of anything?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    then thats your fault for not saying anything
    How do you know the nurses doing antepartum care didnt think of anything?

Exactly. Like we're gonna passively sit by while you poison your baby, knowing that we'll be suck sitting your sick kid for years. Not to mention the poor life whose chances got compromised. If I did that mess I'd be looking for another family to spend holidays with.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    She is not doing this in some third world country. We have ultrasounds in Australia and she will be in medical care for her pregnancy and guess what, they'll monitor foetal development quite closely here. I suspect unless she is deliberately avoiding the entire medical profession and plans to give birth in her bathtub alone, she'll be told if there is a danger to the baby.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    sounds disgusting and pointless.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the link, but I'm sure she's fine if she's getting enough calories.

I'm pregnant, but even if I weren't, I don't like to eat that many carbs, I just find it makes me gain weight. Each to their own.
  • JilloftheDead
    JilloftheDead Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    She's been eating this way prior to becoming pregnant, it's not a new thing for her body to adjust to while growing a fetus. I see nothing wrong with it at all. Now if it was something new she was doing just because she was pregnant, that would be concerning, but it's not.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    IIFYM bro...

Kiiiiiiiiiiidding.
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the article but how far along is she? I'm just getting towards the end of my first trimester and the only thing I can keep down is carbs. That being said, as soon as I feel human again I will be eating lots of protein.