Trying to lose weight but gaining instead

Options
2»

Replies

• CEMH1
    CEMH1 Posts: 33
    Options
    Great articles provided. Start with honesty with yourself, get a food weight scale, and wear a HRM while exercising. Until I got a HRM I was using MFP calories burned. They were generous to say the least, which made me feel great mentally but reality was that it was inaccurate information and hindering my goals. Good luck, I'm sure you can figure it out!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    1) you are probably overeating. Weigh all your food
    2) your goal is too low. With maybe 10 kg to lose, you want to set it to half a kilo a week top... and you need to eat back exercise calories. I'm 5'5", 146 lbs, and eating 1600 calories a day to lose.
    3) it's normal to gain water weight when you start exercising
  • benimruh
    Options
    hi !!
    listen if mfp told u to eat 1200 , if u exercise and burn 200 calories, you should eat 1400 calories now not 1200.
    2) dont eat below 1200, and u r most likely not doing that if u r eyeballing. u can be surprised how clueless we are about serving sizes until you start measuring...
    i bough a scale. it is only like 10 dollars online- it takes two seconds to weigh food, and you have a better sense of what you are eating.
    3) drink water!!!! your body retains so much water . so you need to drink water in order for water to leave.
    try to be as accurate as u can with your calorie intake and dont undereat :D
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    It's definitely not that my calorie intake is high. When i wasn't trying to eat healthily and I ate pretty much whatever I wanted and not working out. I weighed 66kg. I am eating significantly less than i used to and working out and my weight has increased to 68kg. It makes no sense, there has to be another reason :angry:

It is very likely that you are simply retaining fluids because you recently began a training program. See what happens in another two weeks.

^^This.
  • Evian101
    Evian101 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is the exact same issue I had. I started a new calorie regime of 1200 a week, did my exercise etc., and in the first week lost 1 kg. Fve weeks later - everything being the same - I haven't lost or gained anything!

I am really confused about it myself. Clothes are not changing and measurements are not moving.

So, I went to get a food scale just to make sure my food measurements were not out of hand, and they weren't. So, my food portions were right all along.

I've now just started to do more cardio (the last 2 days) to see if that is the answer. I'll know by the end of the week).

If you find the answer, I'm curious too.

I spoke to my trainer several times about it now and she recommended I cycle my calories so that my body doesn't get too comfortable at 1200 and simple settles down my metabolism at that point. I've tried that now too...we shall see,
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Weight fluctuates all the time(water, waste). If you just started seriously exercising, your muscles will be retaining water in order to repair. Weight yourself at the same time, each day (IF and only if you can handle the disappointment if daily fluctuations), usually in the morning after bathroom visit, but before shower, water and food. That way you can plot your average weight and see where it's heading. MFP and treadmills overestimates exercise calories frequently. Get a HRM. Give it 4-6 weeks to see if you're really gaining or if it's just normal fluctuations.