Young and loose skin muscle loss after loosing 31+ pounds?

Options
********Guys before you read Please do not, assume I've been "yoyo dieting", I've worked to freaking hard for people to assume that i'm starving myself all of the time or yo yo dieting, or trying to "finish first" like a lunatic, please take caution for what you say to people because you guys don't know what kind of problems others have while reading and people misinterpretating things I have wrote down below, I need support right now that I haven't been getting. and It would be nice for people to keep doing that I remember I came here for help not to be called out on trying to finish first or trying to race which hurts when the person on the receiving end is reading**************

I'm pretty young still in highschool, and I was told by many people since I'm young and I wouldn't have loose skin, I'm confused I only lost 30 pounds?
My goal weight is 120.
I was not even morbidly obese or anything, I was pretty chubby and I had so much muscle in my arms but It's gone! I used to be able to lift 150 pound people, but I can't even carry 120 lb people.

but anyway I lost 31-39 lbs (Haven't weighed lately but I can tell i've lost) and it's like the littlest skin but it bothers me because I want to loose way more
I'm 5'5, I'm already thinking about surgery it's not bad now but I would like to loose more.
I'm so self concious about this noone can tell but I can..again i'm going to loose more and it's going to get worse....

I lost muscle, I've been eating 1,200 calories a day somedays **before** when I was working hard at school I' would eat less but that wasn't most days it was very few days months ago is that why i lost muscle?.

I've been following my diet and eating 1,200 a day eating what I'm supposed to so how can I reverse this.
What should I do? work out my arms more will that help or just wait for my skin to be normal.
thanks guys.

do you have to be 21 for surgery?.

Replies

• thickerella
    thickerella Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You're too young to consider surgery. First, give your skin some time. It will likely bounce back within a year. Start lifting weights to re-build your muscle, and eat a more protein-rich diet. Lifting weights will not make you bulky, but it WILL make you stronger and firmer.

Also, you're already beautiful.
  • Aaronslostaway
    Options
    Thank you, you made me feel a bit better.
    <3
  • emartin17
    emartin17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    loose skin will not happen as long as you don't do anything crazy and lose 30 lbs in a month. You have nothing to worry about. And seriously the muscle tone thing? Just do more lifting in your workouts. DO NOT skip any meals no matter what! Your body needs the caloric in take more than ever right now.
    You are still growing and morphing into an adult. It is natural for humans to grow older and grow into a different body composition. The high school skinny is not for everyone. Focus on what makes you stronger and how you perceive yourself as beautiful to be your voice. Do not by any circumstances judge yourself against others. If you want whatever it is that you want- you will obtain it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Undereating for your level of activity and your body, not eating enough protein, and not doing resistance training, is exactly why you indeed lose muscle mass.

It's actually very easy to burn off muscle mass doing things wrong.

And it really stinks, because that is a major part of your metabolism, which means it's lower than it needed to be right now.

If you think you still have a few lbs to go, you need to change to your goals to 1/2 lb weekly, unless you feel like purely losing weight, even when some of that is muscle weight.

Oh, ask some of the women on here how they feel in their 50's and 60's having yo-yo dieted their life away having a terrible relationship with food.

You are going down that path right now, if you'd rather lose weight even if it's muscle to reach a number on a scale no one sees, not just fat.
  • pittsjg
    pittsjg Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    consider not just weight loss but building a body in general, which involves decreasing bodyfat, and adding muscle to replace it. No I don't mean becoming a she hulk. Its important to remember that we are all interested in building a body, with different goals in mind of course, its just a matter of gaining the muscle to shape it the way we want and removing enough fat be able to to see our hard work. I got some great websites to check out if your interested.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    How long since you lost the weight? It can take up to 2 years for your skin to catch up
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    You lost weight too fast, and lost a lot of muscle as well as fat. That is why you are feeling weak.

Eat what MFP tells you to eat, for heaven's sake! And eat back your exercise calories.

Your skin will tighten up, give it time. This is a marathon, not a sprint. You don't get a prize for a faster finish.
  • Aaronslostaway
    Options
    Heybales I don't under eat on purpose, I'm not starving myself?
    I've only done it very few times when I'm having a stressful life and to busy to think, when I'm working hard man hours at school.
    or when I'm stressed for example.

the part that got to me is when you replied with "Oh, ask some of the women on here how they feel in their 50's and 60's having yo-yo dieted their life away having a terrible relationship with food."

I'm not going to yo, yo my life away if that's what you are trying to tell me.
    you don't know me, trying to scare me is not working. and I'm not going to have a terrible relationship with food.

I'm a strong person and I'm not going to be like them.
  • Aaronslostaway
    Options
    pittsjg thank you :).
  • Aaronslostaway
    Options
    QuietBloom the funny part and the extremely confusing part is that I didn't loose the weight fast!.
    everyone is going to doubt that, but I know how much I lost. it's not like I lost 30-40 pounds in 30-60 days.

I eat 1,200 and I am following rules for "heavens sake".
    ......?
    What!?
    oh lord...
    I'm not racing? you don't know how much I lost in a times period.
    please do not assume that would be great.
  • heybales
    Options
    Heybales I don't under eat on purpose, I'm not starving myself?
    I've only done it very few times when I'm having a stressful life and to busy to think, when I'm working hard man hours at school.
    or when I'm stressed for example.

the part that got to me is when you replied with "Oh, ask some of the women on here how they feel in their 50's and 60's having yo-yo dieted their life away having a terrible relationship with food."

I'm not going to yo, yo my life away if that's what you are trying to tell me.
    you don't know me, trying to scare me is not working. and I'm not going to have a terrible relationship with food.

I'm a strong person and I'm not going to be like them.

You feeling full, and your body being fully fed for what you are asking it to do - are 2 entirely separate things.

You can easily be undereating (not starving, that's for people not eating, though some of the effects are the same) and that mere act WILL affect hormones that WILL make you not hungry.

I'm talking about the goals in general. 1200 could be undereating if that is the total that you ate.

Did you follow the recommended 1lb weekly goal loss, or you wanted it faster and selected 2 lbs?
    How long did it take you to lose the 31-39 lbs? And more exact figure?

Are you truly sedentary during equivalent weekly time, or moving around between classes and after school, ect?

For exercise, did you log it and eat it back, to keep that 1 lb goal loss, or did you think bigger is better?

How do you know you won't yo-yo diet your life away?
    Your comments regarding the scale exactly match those that have done that, that's why I comment the way I do.
  • Aaronslostaway
    Options
    Heybales, everyone has always told me that 1,200 calories is alright? I selected two which I didn't think was bad.
    my school we don't have bells and we stay in the same room with the same students until we go home we just sit, so I don't get to move alot and I thought eating 1,200 calories would make sense because I don't move at school a whole lot you know what I mean?.

How do I know why i'm not going to yo-yo diet away...for one 1.) I know myself.
    yo-yo dieting is when you loose and gain from following with unhealthy under eating habits.

2.)I'm not gaining.....and loosing....3.)and I'm eating enough, 4.)it's what what mfp and others yessed to to eat 1,200 if I'm not moving around most days?.
    that's how I know.
  • Aaronslostaway
    Options
    Delude: :) I will!, yes It probably does take time.

thank you for replying :).
  • heybales
    Options
    Heybales, everyone has always told me that 1,200 calories is alright? I selected two which I didn't think was bad.
    my school we don't have bells and we stay in the same room with the same students until we go home we just sit, so I don't get to move alot and I thought eating 1,200 calories would make sense because I don't move at school a whole lot you know what I mean?.

How do I know why i'm not going to yo-yo diet away...for one 1.) I know myself.
    yo-yo dieting is when you loose and gain from following with unhealthy under eating habits.

2.)I'm not gaining.....and loosing....3.)and I'm eating enough, 4.)it's what what mfp and others yessed to to eat 1,200 if I'm not moving around most days?.
    that's how I know.

Then let me inform you that you are incorrect on some of that then. You frankly have neither the knowledge nor the experience, hence the reason you selected 2 lb goal with the smaller amount to lose - you did NOT know, and didn't want to follow what says recommended.
    No where have you said you correctly ate back exercise calories, probably because you didn't, you keep referring to eating 1200 in total. Again incorrect, and if the fact your daily eating goal went up and you didn't understand and question and research, but assumed you knew better, again wrong.

And no where have I said you are yo-yo dieting right now or have - that is the potential future if you do things wrong, burn off muscle mass, try to eat at maintenance and discover you can barely eat anything, in a year or two you've gained back some or all or more of the weight, and you attempt to do it again.

1200 is the recommended LOWEST you should go, not the upper goal - for a sedentary woman to get all her nutritional needs in with a average diet.
    Basically, it is for safety for sedentary woman. You are more than sedentary if you exercise.

Much like minimum building codes are for safety. Not for longevity, performance, or aesthetics. You can always have better than minimum done.

You want longer life, better performance, look better - don't do the minimum.

You comment you didn't do it fast?
    What is your definition of fast? One extreme and impossible definition was given that you at least said you didn't match, so that's good.
    But how would you know what is fast or slow if you didn't research and find out?

Sorry I couldn't scare you, because that's sadly what it takes with some to realize the precarious position they have put themselves in, and the potential for going down a very bad path.
  • Aaronslostaway
    Options
    Hahaha, alright dr.bales.
    I am such a big liar, and I want to hurt myself I'm this monster.

thanks I think.
    for respectfully, positively, supportively encouraging me because you care so much.
    It's almost like you knew me all my life.
  • wertgirlfor
    wertgirlfor Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    how old are you? & how long did it take you to lose 30 pounds?
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    - Increase your calorie intake
    - Lift weights
  • heybales
    Options
    Hahaha, alright dr.bales.
    I am such a big liar, and I want to hurt myself I'm this monster.

thanks I think.
    for respectfully, positively, supportively encouraging me because you care so much.
    It's almost like you knew me all my life.

Were the people that thought the earth was flat lying - or uninformed?

No where did I say you are lying, which means you are reading this emotionally and adding your own flavor to words. There is a difference between knowing one thing and saying another, and fooling yourself because you don't know.

No where did I say you were trying to hurt yourself purposely because of a disorder, but that doesn't mean you can't by doing things wrong you aren't aware of.

Is support and encouragement only what propels you down the road you want to take, which is easy - you go girl!

Or is true positive support and encouragement seeing you could, by your limited descriptions, be going down the wrong road and trying to spell out why it isn't right? Because frankly I doubt you would accept and follow just a recommendation, though you did follow the 1200 blindly it might appear.

Is the fact you did lose weight already prove that you were on the right road? Because you obviously did a good job following a program and sticking to it and seeing success on the scale.

And every woman that reflects back on their yo-yo dieting after years and realizes they don't want to do that again in the same manner, proves they were not on the right road despite the end result. But each time they did it they probably thought, this is working again, I'm on the right road again.
    You'll see that in the forums from many women that are likely doomed to repeat their effort again, because they say things like "well it worked the 3 other times I lost weight, so it'll work for you, so here's this advice .....". So while it is advice based on experience, it's only great experience because they keep repeating the same failed program again and again.

So a few simple questions that can help to know if you are on the wrong road or not.

Forget an uninformed opinion of fast or slow, how many pounds was lost in what time frame?

Did you eat in total around 1200 or less daily during that time (not NET which MFP uses, gross, total)?

How much protein, as % of that 1200 or whatever you ate in total, did you usually end up eating?

Did you do any resistance training as exercise?

What was your exercise, how often?