"Toning" Shoes

Options
I saw all of those commercials for the shoes that are supposed to tone your legs or butt...

I purchased a generic pair of sneakers at walmart that are supposed to be equivalent to the Sketchers brand. When first putting them on they feel really weird. It's like you are rocking front to back...kind of like being in a rocking chair which I love. But after walking in them for a bit they are very comfortable. A friend of mine bought the actual Sketchers brand. She works full time on her feet all day. She says she hates them. She says working one shift wearing them made her feel like she had been on the treadmill for 8 hours. I wore mine all the time! i thought the thick soles made it much more comfortable to be on your feet longer. But it was difficult to use an elliptical machine in them.I wore them so often i actually wore down the sole and they got uncomfortable. It took a few months of constant usage for that to happen.

I figured I would try out the Reebok brand because they are cuter looking.Right away they felt strange. Instead of rocking front to back they rock you side to side. These I find ok for walking at a regular pace. But they obviously have a thinner sole so they aren't as comfortable for long term use. Also I feel that if the soles are to be that way there should be more ankle support. It actually made my ankles very sore using them on a treadmill. I twisted my ankle once in them. They do shape better around the foot pedal of the glute machine than the others though :)

To sum up my experiences...

Generic Sketchers...not as cute, but more comfy. Did feel muscles in back thighs working but saw no visual changes. Do not use on elliptical machine. (Remember I did not use the "real" SKetchers) :happy:

Reeboks...very cute. Did not feel anything different in any muscle. Saw no visual changes. Great for elliptical. Not great for unsteady surfaces...could use ankle support.

Now these are just my opinions...but maybe they will help someone...

Replies

• Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for this post. I was thinking of buying the reebok's brand or newbalance, but I might look into a little more before I cough up 100 dollars.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I tried those same shoes from Walmart, and I received shin splints. Was told by my doctor to discontinue using any type of those shoes.
    I will stick to regular cross trainers that I buy at New Balance.
  • sjd2010
    sjd2010 Posts: 106
    Options
    I have the real Sketchers and I LOVE them. I have been wearing them now for over 6 months and I will not wear any other shoe. I don't care that they are not "cute." I want them to be comfortable. I can exercise in them, walk, stand all day, whatever. I don't think they "tone" like they claim, however. But the bottom of my feet no longer hurt!:love:
  • doggiemomma
    Options
    I am on my second pair of Sketchers. I LOVE THEM. I bought them more for my back than for the training. I have to say they are awesome for my back. Now with that said, when I work out, I go back to my New Balance 608's that I used to wear. I tried the Sketchers on the treadmill over the weekend because I had forgot my NB's. My legs jumped and jerked for over an hour after that. I went back to my NBs on Monday on the treadmill and they are fine.
  • suzie1983
    Options
    i love the comfort of my sketchers shape ups....as for toning i have no clue if they made a difference but i can say since switching to those my knee has felt a lot better even after long runs...i do like them....for me the comfort was worth every penny
  • moonport
    moonport Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have the Sketcher Shape-Ups and I adore them. I work on my feet all day and then go to school at night. My feet never hurt. Like others have said, I don't know if they've made a difference in toning, but they're super comfortable. I don't use them to work out, though. For that I switch to my plain old Reebok's.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    For the love of all that is holy, DO NOT WEAR THESE SHOES WHEN RUNNING!!! I've had friends in races who have passed so many people who tried to run 5Ks, 10Ks, and even Half and Full Marathons in Shape-Ups or the Reebok things who were on the side of the road with their ankles and legs being attended to by medical teams (and yes, some of them did see people go down on perfectly flat, non-cracked and non-potholed surfaces).

Your everyday walking around is probably fine. But beyond that, and especially running, you are really risking at the very least a sprained ankle.

Just be careful.
  • VegasJellyFish
    VegasJellyFish Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I bought the Fila brand at Ross for 20.00 just to try them out. I love them, but I can't wear the pair I bought anymore because the back doesn't sit right on them. I plane to get another pair soon. I found that Ross is the best place to get these because I don't have to pay an arm and a leg for them and they work as well. :laugh:
  • Oceanmama
    Oceanmama Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have the real sketchers as well, and also absolutely LOVE them! They don't replace having regular sneakers, but they are terrific for when you know you are going to be on your feet a lot without much sitting down like going to a museum, shopping, trick or treating, etc. I really feel the workout in my back thighs and butt every time I wear them!

2205646.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter