Running at a high weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• RachelN76
    RachelN76 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I started the Couch to 5K and a bit of running etc when I was about 160lb, and a BMI of about 32. So I'd already lost a bit (the last time I lost weight that is?).

But the pain! Oh my word, I can't tell you about the pain. Not my knees, not my breathing, not my feet. All fine. But my shins. Started within about 30 seconds of starting to run, and never ever got any better. I tried running on grass, treadmills, roads, off road, everywhere. I bought cheap shoes, expensive shoes, and I ran barefoot. All that happened is I had sore shins.

I do intend to try again when I get my weight down again, because I would like to enjoy running, but I think I may have to accept that it's not for me.

Good luck with it though. Take it easy, give it a go with one of the walk to run programmes, and all you can do is see how you take to it!
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I would echo what everyone said about getting the right shoes. Shoes Shoes Shoes! They're so important, especially when you're a high weight. There's so much more stress on our joints and feet.

That said, I would suggest low-impact, moderately paced cardio as you shed weight, and then begin running when you feel up to it. It can and will beat the hell out of your knees, ankles, and feet.

Personally, I do walking, at slow to fast rates of walking speed. I enjoy step aerobics, but I do not over-emphasize the movements. jump up on my step, or bounce on my leg lifts since that's just unnecessary impact. Some ladies bounce and twist around a lot during step aerobics thinking they're getting a better burn, but they're more likely to pull something or land wrong and roll or twist an ankle. Also, I only used a beginner's step 4" when I started. And I do t'ai chi. None of these, because I started slow, have caused me injuries.

But if you love running, work up to it. Just listen to your body and pay attention and ease up on your joints if they hurt.

I mean, you wouldn't expect a healthy weight athlete to strap an extra 150 lbs all over their body and have a long-distance cardio run, would you? That's more than most soldiers have to lug around (estimate based on battle-rattle @ ~35lbs & rucksack @ ~55-85lbs).

Once you lose some weight, you're going to have that extra spring in your step. Especially when you exercise moderately while cutting calories. Exercising gets noticeably easier every couple weeks.
  • momofGD
    momofGD Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I run at 291 lbs. Granted it is not a sprinting pace or a marathon distance. I do intervals 3 to 3.5 mph walking and 5-6mph running. I usually do a warm up walk with incline. Then do 1:30 intervals for a certain distance or time depending on the day. Usually on my distance days I do a slower speed and on the timed days I do like 20 or 25 minutes at 3.5 and 6 mph. I like you even at my highest weight hiked, biked, swam etc. I have also done half marathons walking. If you do notice any knee pain etc though back off a bit. Good luck!
  • Tykk
    Tykk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Kudos to those who are doing this, but OP, I think there is a serious chance of destroying your knees. Do something low-impact first like cycling, elliptical or swimming, and come back to running in a bit. Really good luck!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I started out at 255 and started to run. I ended up going to long to quick - my cardio system improved quicker than the weight dropped off and the tendons etc. got strong. I ended up with really bad tendentious in my Achilles. That was a couple of years ago. This time I've decided to refocus (and this is just a suggestion I'll throw to you too) Why not train for a tri :-) I felt quite embarrassed getting in the pool to start with but after a while I released that no one really cared. I go running a bit (2 x a week) and I also bike ride (just started this). I've also done loads of walking (walking before running lol) to straighten my legs up. Did it for about 3 months before running and then gradually phased running in and now and everything is going really well. Doing so much variety is really good, the weight is coming off, I'm not getting bored and I am not constantly pounding one set of muscles and tendons so I haven't been injured. I am going to enter running races as well for sure. I'm going to do this on my way to my first tri and then afterwards as well because I do love running now. I think the biggest thing I can say though is if you decide to just run really really take it easy, stretch out after each run and make sure you are hitting your macros (have a look on line to get a better idea of the protein content you will need in your diet because MFP does a crap job of estimating it for us. Whatever you decide though I think you are an absolute star for deciding to do this. Endurance activities changes our focus and the only way is up once you get into it. But if you feel any niggles that don't go away I would get them checked out - I wish I had, instead it took me 2 years to get back :-) Good luck
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I also need to learn how to do the quote box when I reply to someone!

Thanks for all the comments. I'm going to start with just walking for a week and then possibly add small amounts of running.
    Report Post Quote Reply

You click ........ ^ that blue word right there and it opens a window with a bunch of words and computer language telling you it's gonna make a box around those words when you answer. You click to AFTER all those words and put your answer because that's just standard form and how people are used to reading it top to bottom. Good luck with quoting but ESPECIALLY with running as I think all the Couch to 5K suggestions from people around your weight or higher sound SO encouraging. :flowerforyou:
  • JessicaS14
    JessicaS14 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started out at 255 and started to run. I ended up going to long to quick - my cardio system improved quicker than the weight dropped off and the tendons etc. got strong. I ended up with really bad tendentious in my Achilles. That was a couple of years ago. This time I've decided to refocus (and this is just a suggestion I'll throw to you too) Why not train for a tri :-) I felt quite embarrassed getting in the pool to start with but after a while I released that no one really cared. I go running a bit (2 x a week) and I also bike ride (just started this). I've also done loads of walking (walking before running lol) to straighten my legs up. Did it for about 3 months before running and then gradually phased running in and now and everything is going really well. Doing so much variety is really good, the weight is coming off, I'm not getting bored and I am not constantly pounding one set of muscles and tendons so I haven't been injured. I am going to enter running races as well for sure. I'm going to do this on my way to my first tri and then afterwards as well because I do love running now. I think the biggest thing I can say though is if you decide to just run really really take it easy, stretch out after each run and make sure you are hitting your macros (have a look on line to get a better idea of the protein content you will need in your diet because MFP does a crap job of estimating it for us. Whatever you decide though I think you are an absolute star for deciding to do this. Endurance activities changes our focus and the only way is up once you get into it. But if you feel any niggles that don't go away I would get them checked out - I wish I had, instead it took me 2 years to get back :-) Good luck

Thanks so much for the comment and advice! I love the idea of training for a tri! I was a swimmer in high school and loved it. Sounds like a great thing to do with biking/running to give the knees, feet, etc a break. Thanks again!
  • JessicaS14
    JessicaS14 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I also need to learn how to do the quote box when I reply to someone!

Thanks for all the comments. I'm going to start with just walking for a week and then possibly add small amounts of running.
    Report Post Quote Reply

You click ........ ^ that blue word right there and it opens a window with a bunch of words and computer language telling you it's gonna make a box around those words when you answer. You click to AFTER all those words and put your answer because that's just standard form and how people are used to reading it top to bottom. Good luck with quoting but ESPECIALLY with running as I think all the Couch to 5K suggestions from people around your weight or higher sound SO encouraging. :flowerforyou:

Thank you!
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I started at 263 lbs, I say why wait. Follow a run walk program, I used the Galloway program, listen to your body, don't push it if you are not ready. I repeated some of the weeks several times before I felt ready to advance. But first, make sure you get fitted for proper running shoes from a specialty running store !!!! I only started running 5 years ago but have since done 5 half marathons, a sprint triathlon, and countless 5 and 10km races. Running has literally changed my life:)
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I got into running by just going out and doing it. At first it really sucked, but it got easier. :)
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    As long as your doctor says ok, then do not wait!!! I am over 200 and I am doing the couch to 10k on my way to running a half marathon with friends in 2014! Let's do this!!!