Change of mindset

Options
I know people usually post on here about weight loss but I've just had an experience that I feel is a great success and need to share it.

I have to admit before I tell my story that I'm not the slimmest person in the world and my self esteem is particularly low so you'll understand why I feel it's a success worthy of this topic when you read what happened.

My husband is a great support and has encouraged me to take up cycling. He's been cycling for years but he goes at my pace and never criticises me or pushes me to something I'm not capable of. I was very dubious at first. A big woman sitting on a bike saddle has been the butt (no pun intended) of jokes for generations and I am very sensitive about what I should or shouldn't do in the opinion of other people. That said I actually love cycling even though at times it's very tiring especially when cycling uphill.

Tonight during a ride we passed a young couple. The girl was gorgeous. Slim and pretty. You could have dressed her in a bin liner and she'd still have looked wonderful. As we passed I heard her boyfriend ask her what she was laughing at. I bet you can guess her reply.

"Oh," she laughed. "Just look at that woman's fat a**e on that bike.*

In the past that would have been it. I'd have been devastated and never got on a bike again. This time I thought what a stupid, nasty piece of work she was and that actually my bum is 4 inches smaller than it was a couple of weeks ago and will be even smaller in another couple of weeks. I'm also fitter than I was a couple of weeks ago and getting fitter all the time. She, on the other hand, is an ignorant, stupid ...mine was swear word but you can put in your own disparaging term lol....and in a few weeks,months years will still be an ignorant, stupid 'whatever' whilst I will be a new slimline me.

Now you can see why I feel it was a success. In the past that would have been it and I'd have felt I deserved her disdain. Today she's just made me more determined to lose weight and get fitter.

Replies

• DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    YES! That is definitely the way to take that comment! Good for you - and you are right - she will still be the stupid one.
    I had something on that order spur me on. I play tennis and another woman told me - "Dianne, my son gave me this skirt and i took the tags off before i tried it on, so i can't return it It just falls off me, Maybe it will fit you!!!!!!"
    Oh yes, that surely helped these past 6 months of logging, watching calories and exercising like crazy. It was another motivator for me. I have seen her recently and of course she didn't mention my weight loss like everyone else has!
    So keep going - you got it!
  • mazamarie
    Options
    Yes ignore those types they don't realise anything and won't learn envy thing Appart from what centres around theme... A big high five to you m8! Keep going ur hubby is a star too x
  • bethshines
    bethshines Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What an inspiring NSV (non-scale victory)! I agree with you -- you are changing, we can only hope she will! Keep cycling!! :smile:
  • grentea
    grentea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a success to me! Great job on the hard work. And remember karma is a total B! She won't always be cute. Lol
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Great attitude!
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Hahaha - good for you! And the best bit? Skinny and gorgeous she might have been, but you cruised past her! Hahaha.

Just curious - what hills????????
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Also, agree with ignoring ignorant people like that.
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    There are hills around here it's just that you don't notice them when you're walking or driving. OK maybe not many hills in the real sense but long substantial slopes lol. In and out of the Humber Bridge Country Park is a genuine hill lol. We also cycle around Bradford.
  • slimintraining
    slimintraining Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Good for you! That is a great NSV, these are the little battle's won that keep us all going.
    Thanks for sharing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!