How do you cut calories when eating out?

Options
Hi guys! Lets share some ideas how to minimize calories in a meal when eating out. For example, for me to lose weight comfortably at my weight 119 pounds I need to eat 1500-1700 calories a day and as I look at nutritional info at some restaurants just one meal there can be 1200-1500 calories. For me it's insane. Some restaurants have no menu with calories and I really try to avoid them.
I was just thinking maybe there are some tricks how to enjoy meal out but not get this tons of calories....
Right now I have idea of asking a server to cook (BBQ) salmon (if I order salmon) without any oil and stuff on it, order some lemon to squeeze at my plate on it. This way I would get only calories for salmon. Any other ideas?

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat a few nibbles and take the rest home for later use.
  • hikezilla
    hikezilla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I avoid fries, baked potatoes, I get my salad dressing on the side, no desserts, drink water, ask for broiled meat instead of fried whenever possible, I get my BBQ "dry" with the sauce on the side....and while I am trying to lose a lot of weight, I try to avoid eating out.

Cheesecake Factory is my wifes favorite....there is NOTHING on their menu that won't ruin the whole dieting day or TWO.

I mean seriously, fried mac and cheese?
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I either eat a whole lower calorie meal or eat half of a high calorie meal. I try to pick things that will heat up nicely if I know I'm only eating half of it. Last evening I was surprised with a breadstick with my side salad so I ate half of it and gave half to my husband. I try to avoid asking for them to make the food differently because I'm afraid that they will do something nasty to it or not make it any differently but I think i'm eating a healthier version.
  • fairie_marie
    Options
    I split my meal with my husband, and I don't eat the bread on the table.. Drink water, and I also try to make sure that if I am going out that I think ahead with my other meals to make sure that I can actually enjoy going out
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with asking for things to be cooked without oil or butter (Tell them you have a health problem and will get very sick from added fats, or they may not take you seriously). When I eat out I automatically ask for a take out box/doggie bag and put exactly half the meal into it to take home. I won't even start eating until I've done this so I know it's half. If I have to guess on calories because it's not listed I choose something that is close to the same meal, but more than would estimate for calories, fat & sodium just to be on the safe side.
  • mcjmommy
    mcjmommy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    When possible, I try to look at a menu on-line so that I can preplan what I want to eat. I also try to save extra calories for that meal and squeeze in a little extra exercise to help offset the extra calories.
    I don't eat out often, so for me it is a treat and I try to order what I really want to eat even if it is not the healthiest choice on the menu.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Several places either include a low-calorie section of their menu, or list the calories of all their dishes, allowing you to decide on that basis. For other places, I hear there are "smart phones" these days that can connect with "the internet," where the vast majority of dishes will have calories listed, at least in the form of reasonable estimates. Many diet and fitness sites - even free ones - have what they call "databases" of this information.

If all that fails, opting for something that isn't breaded or fried and skipping dessert and booze is often a decent way of avoiding the highest calorie options when dining at a restaurant.
  • michellelandis33
    Options
    I just ate out today. I preplanned what I was going to eat. I then felt secure and confident with my choices. I went to Hoss's and since I already walked the salad bar in my mind I was ready for it. I got my plate and only put a tablespoon of each thing I remembe r logging on to it., I had 1 small piece of garlic bread, I got my piece of lava cake while I was up there so I knew I was not returning for seconds. I wasn't going to order a meal but since it came with the buffet I ordered and also had diet soda and water and then only ate the salad and a bite of my lava cake and asked for a box for my meal...for tomorrow. I happy reminder of my today plus I stayed in total control and didn't gorge myself. I did it the correct way. Preplanning is key.
    :flowerforyou:
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    I generally just pick simple dishes without tons of frills, get a tasty (calorie laden) dish and only eat half, or accept that it's a splurge meal :laugh:

but this also depends on how often you eat out and what you eat at home. it's no problem for me to splurge a meal out, as I rarely go out to dinner (think maybe once every 3-4 months, maybe less) and eat a primarily vegetarian diet at home. So it's not something I fret about. If you intend to eat out more and don't want to cut the frilly dishes, you need to change what you eat at home to something more nutritious and lower calorie to make up for your eating out habits. Customize to fit your needs and wants!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! Lets share some ideas how to minimize calories in a meal when eating out. For example, for me to lose weight comfortably at my weight 119 pounds I need to eat 1500-1700 calories a day and as I look at nutritional info at some restaurants just one meal there can be 1200-1500 calories. For me it's insane. Some restaurants have no menu with calories and I really try to avoid them.
    I was just thinking maybe there are some tricks how to enjoy meal out but not get this tons of calories....
    Right now I have idea of asking a server to cook (BBQ) salmon (if I order salmon) without any oil and stuff on it, order some lemon to squeeze at my plate on it. This way I would get only calories for salmon. Any other ideas?

I really don't try too hard to look for substitutes.. when I go out to eat I have usually planned for the calories I'll be taking in.
    I do tend to cut the meals in half and eat half later, it's always too much food.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I avoid fries, baked potatoes, I get my salad dressing on the side, no desserts, drink water, ask for broiled meat instead of fried whenever possible, I get my BBQ "dry" with the sauce on the side....and while I am trying to lose a lot of weight, I try to avoid eating out.

Cheesecake Factory is my wifes favorite....there is NOTHING on their menu that won't ruin the whole dieting day or TWO.

Actually Cheesecake Factory has the best 'healthy' menu heads down. It's the skinnylicious stuff. It comes in a separate insert with the menu. Everything is under 590 calories and delicious.

I eat out 3-4 times a month, I stick to chains most of the time, otherwise I go for salad with dressing on the side (and watch the toppings...), or grilled chicken or fish with veggies. Or I get a sandwich without mayo or butter.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I swat up. If I go to an italian I look before hand what is better to eat and what is going to throw me off. Some things are a lot better than others. I also watch where I go to eat if at all possible. I will get my *kitten* moving before hand to try and burn calories but if the worst comes to the worst I just have a great time because this is for life and a one off won't make any difference at all in the long run
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

Cheesecake Factory has the highest calorie meals in the country. Even their salads are usually over 2,000 calories.
  • MariaL126
    Options
    Hi introduce your wife to Season 52 nothing on the menu is over 475
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    These are my favorite thread titles.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake factory is insane. I swear they just deep fry everything in lard and pour oil on top when the meal is done being cooked
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    These are my favorite thread titles.

I read that as "titties"
  • sshamsa
    Options
    You can definitely go out to eat while losing weight but just make sure it doesn't become a daily habit. Its much cheaper to make meals at home and many restaurant entrees can be made at home too. I prefer to eat at home but if there is a situation where I have to eat out, I look at the calorie information, that's probably going to be your best bet. Most restaurants have a section on their menu's with options that have fewer calories, you can always order something from that section. Salmon or chicken is a good choice when going out (unless its covered with cheese or something). I would avoid heavy pastas, large portions of red meat (if you can, its pretty hard to find any place who doesn't serve over 3oz of meat ), and fried foods. You cant go wrong with steamed veggies as a side.
    Me personally, usually when I go out I treat myself. There is nothing wrong with going out for a steak and fries once a month when you have been following a healthy and active lifestyle. You can always think of going out to eat as a once or twice a month event if that is possible. It's all about moderation.

I hope that helped and good luck!
  • jennyc1270
    jennyc1270 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I try to stick with places where I know the nutritional information or can do a good estimate. Sometimes it is impossible, but you have to use basic principles. Broiled, baked, or grilled proteins. Plain veggies or a salad with dressing on the side. I stay away from anything fried, pastas/rice/bread, white sauces, and anything breaded, I also tell the server ahead of time that I'd like a to go box and please don't be offended if I don't eat much off my plate.

One thing I've learned on the journey though is to not deprive yourself. I will have steak from time to time and creme brulee. I just only eat about 2-4 oz of steak and 2-3 bites of the desert and continue to enjoy it for the next few days. I also make sure when I am going to "splurge" on something that it is going to be worth it and get steaks at "high end" places and not at chilis because I know I am going to be left unsatisfied. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE chilis and eat there frequently, I just don't get steak there. Grilled shrimp yes. Steak No.

The moral of the story is to use common sense. You know what has too may calories.
  • curlyloca
    curlyloca Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Don't eat the bread. Take half to go. Dessert ONLY if it's worth it.