Elliptical or stationary bike?

Options
Elliptical or stationary bike? I'm getting an early Christmas gift to myself. I want one or the other but am unsure of which to get. Which would you get and why?

Replies

• KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I would get the elliptical. Typically burn far more calories on that than the stationary bike, and it doesn't hurt my butt.
  • lavender1742
    lavender1742 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Eliptical
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Exercise bike personally. Have you tried both? Go with which you think you could use long term.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Elliptical - hand's down. I find it to be a much better all around work-out. I like that I work my arms and legs at the same time.
  • pshelly305
    pshelly305 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    It's not supposed to work your arms supposedly. Correct form uses your glutes and calves.
  • thenextstep
    Options
    I haven't really tried either. I want what ever one that would give my more of a work out as to help me lose my last twenty five pounds. For those who say elliptical do you have a program you follow on it?
  • DaveP_Fit
    Options
    C. Spin bike
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Rollers.

Or a rowing machine.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical! The bike hurt my hip joints the few times I tried it.
  • ferreteers
    ferreteers Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You don't have to choose - search for proform hybrid trainer - its both. :happy:
  • phostose
    Options
    Elliptical
  • txmomma0889
    txmomma0889 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Meet in the middle there are a couple of 2-in-1 out there. I got mine at academy then you get the best of both worlds.

Here is the one I got so ya know what I am talking about:
    http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/body-champ-deluxe-2-in-1-stride-cycle/pid-33820?N=809941245

Here is another example:
    http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/body-rider-deluxe-programmable-magnetic-dual-trainer/pid-667723?N=809941245
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Got a Life Fitness elliptical and have never regretted it!!!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I second the rowing machine suggestion. Best full-body cardio machine.

But I also think you should try the machines out before you decide. I hate ellipticals with a passion, I would rather jog in place than use one.

Get the one you will use/enjoy most.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    I haven't really tried either. I want what ever one that would give my more of a work out as to help me lose my last twenty five pounds. For those who say elliptical do you have a program you follow on it?

I would really spend time with each and then decide. Pick the one you can see yourself continuing to use.

I love the elliptical. A great workout, with no impact.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I have both, and the bike has cobwebs, lol. I get a better burn on my elliptical. I like to do intervals on it; 15 seconds all out, 45 seconds low intensity, repeat 15 times. Then I try to go another fifteen, but don't usually make it, lol...

The bike seat hurts my butt. :laugh:
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I would really spend time with each and then decide. Pick the one you can see yourself continuing to use.

^^^ This.

Before today is over, I plan on crossing the 4,000-mile mark on this puppy since Sept. 1, 2012:
    MagER400.jpg

But that's me. It lives beside my work desk (I work at home) and I have everything I need within arm's reach. No excuses. Find what works for you, that you'll enjoy, and that's sustainable over the long run.
  • hddeuce1966
    Options
    Go to a gym and try both before you buy. You can usually work out as a guest for just a few dollars, or you might talk someone into letting you just try them. I personally hate the elliptical, but most people like it.
  • thenextstep
    Options
    Thanks everyone for you input! Maybe I'll look at a few things before the big choice. I also have joint pain frequently so I'm glad to hear the elliptical is low impact.