What is the absolute warmest running gear?

Options
As the title says, I need warmth help! Ever since losing weight, I CAN NOT get warm anymore and I can't go another winter being cold. Let's just say, I take my children to school and while waiting for the doors to open, I'm cry'n inside and just want to go back home, turn the fire on, move my chair right in front of it, and park my bottom in the heat all day!

I don't do that and I warm up running. I run 2 miles pushing my toddler to get our groceries and pop in the other shops, load up buggy and my back pack and run back.

This year I don't want to be cry'n inside! Lol

Replies

• nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to running but all my running friends tell me layer, layer, layer - and I'm seeing that that is true!

I went and bought some winter running pants - they are awesome! I wear two wicking shirts plus my shell - right now that's enough. Don't forget something on your ears/head and gloves!
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair of REI Powerflyte running tights for running in the winter here in CO....
    I wore them *once* on a morning run in the 20's and was on FIRE. I literally stopped mid-run and cuffed the ankles up as far as I could like Capri's to get some cool air on my ankles.

Those puppies are WARM. Layered under something I'd be good to the single digits easily.

I'm seriously thinking about taking them back and getting the Airflyte model for runs. I can't even think where I'd use the powerflytes other than under some waterproof pants while playing the the snow.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Just dress in lots of layers and running warms me up fast so I tend to wear one layer less than I think I need!!
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair of REI Powerflyte running tights for running in the winter here in CO....
    I wore them *once* on a morning run in the 20's and was on FIRE. I literally stopped mid-run and cuffed the ankles up as far as I could like Capri's to get some cool air on my ankles.

Those puppies are WARM. Layered under something I'd be good to the single digits easily.

I'm seriously thinking about taking them back and getting the Airflyte model for runs. I can't even think where I'd use the powerflytes other than under some waterproof pants while playing the the snow.

Looking up REI now! Thank you all so much, keep the ideas coming. I do layer up, 2 long sleeve running tops and running jacket, gloves and hat that covers the ears. One top is a brooks thermal top.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i've been pretty happy with my ice queen skirt from skirtsports. (although it is spendy.) i wore it in february for a mildish, but extremely windy 5k, and a snowy, icy, very cold half marathon. it performed well in both circumstances.
    https://www.skirtsports.com/shop/product.cfm/id/5045-Ice-Queen-Ultra-Skirt#.UomUxxBSI68

tops are harder and i haven't found something that i truly love. i usually wear an under armor shirt, followed by a wicking long-sleeve, followed by a wicking short-sleeve, followed by a vest. thinking of getting this because i love the bottoms so much, but ugh at $160:
    https://www.skirtsports.com/shop/product.cfm/id/5046-Ice-Queen-Ultra-Jacket#.UomWPxBSI68
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    i've been pretty happy with my ice queen skirt from skirtsports. (although it is spendy.) i wore it in february for a mildish, but extremely windy 5k, and a snowy, icy, very cold half marathon. it performed well in both circumstances.
    https://www.skirtsports.com/shop/product.cfm/id/5045-Ice-Queen-Ultra-Skirt#.UomUxxBSI68

tops are harder and i haven't found something that i truly love. i usually wear an under armor shirt, followed by a wicking long-sleeve, followed by a wicking short-sleeve, followed by a vest. thinking of getting this because i love the bottoms so much, but ugh at $160:
    https://www.skirtsports.com/shop/product.cfm/id/5046-Ice-Queen-Ultra-Jacket#.UomWPxBSI68

I don't get the running skirt thing - guess I'm not girly enough =)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Layers, stay away from cottons, put something that wicks sweat on as the first layer and add from there. I'm always hot within minutes of starting to run but if you run then stop and stand around you're going to get cold as the sweat dries so having your first layer be something the takes the sweat away from your skin will help the most.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Layers and Sugoi Sub-Zero tights, FTW! Merino wool is amazing stuff, too. I wear merino socks year-round, but heavier ones for Winter.
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I layer first I wear Point 6 Metino wool socks and never had cold feet even at -20C then running tights layered with Columbia wind pants. Short sleeve Tech shirt with long sleeve Sugio winter running shirt. Light running jacket, with neck sleeve to pul up over my chin if needed. Head band with cap or tougue . Light wright gloves inside of mitts. I was good to run all winter .
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you for all the great ideas! Very thankful!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Layers and Sugoi Sub-Zero tights, FTW! Merino wool is amazing stuff, too. I wear merino socks year-round, but heavier ones for Winter.

It gets cold here and for the worst winter can throw at me I start with a merino wool base layer; light, comfortable and warm.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Definatly layers.
    I usually go with tank, tshirt, long sleeve shirt and fleece ( or two), also dont forget gloves, glove liners nd beanies and two pairs of socks.
    Leg warmers also help if you get cold ankles like i do.
    You may want to look into ski wear aswell.
    Also get your iron levels checked, men tend. to be like electic blankets as they effectivly wear a lead coat.
    And i find eating more protein keeps me warm.

Also, try binging some hot water with you, that can help to warm you from the insides. My camelback has an insulated hose nd is good for hot water.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    As the title says, I need warmth help! Ever since losing weight, I CAN NOT get warm anymore and I can't go another winter being cold. Let's just say, I take my children to school and while waiting for the doors to open, I'm cry'n inside and just want to go back home, turn the fire on, move my chair right in front of it, and park my bottom in the heat all day!

I don't do that and I warm up running. I run 2 miles pushing my toddler to get our groceries and pop in the other shops, load up buggy and my back pack and run back.

This year I don't want to be cry'n inside! Lol

I wear thermal running leggings and thermal running tops. If, when I run in those, I STILL get cold, then the next time I go for a run, I wear another layer on top. I also wear gloves.