Help! What side dish should I bring to Thanksgiving?

Options
2»

Replies

• alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    CORN BREAD MADE WITH REAL CORN!

http://gmomj.wordpress.com/2011/03/05/delicious-corn-bread-real-corn-no-cornmeal/

You could also sauté green beans with garlic and olive oil. One of my favorites.

1 pound green beans, ends popped or chopped off
    4-6 tsp olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    Salt & pepper (optional)
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I like your bread idea, adding a dip in the center. You could also try a big fruit salad which can be eaten with the meal, or as a dessert alternative after dinner.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    A salad of roast or grilled vegetables.

Would that type of salad be served hot or cold? Sorry if that's a daft question, I've never made a salad with cooked ingredients!

Can be served warm or cold. Here are some examples of recipes

http://www.jamieoliver.com/magazine/recipes-view.php?title=roast-vegetable-salad
    http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/main-course-roast-vegetable-salad-with-greens

If you add fresh greens and want to serve warm, pack the fresh greens separately and just warm up the cooked vegetables in the microwave before mixing with raw greens.
  • 9thChakra
    9thChakra Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I made this last year for a holiday party with vegetarian guests. It is sooooo good....only thing is, it's hot. But if you can heat it, it is sooooo good!
    :happy:
  • Sarah_Lane29
    Sarah_Lane29 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My husband and I made this the other night. Roasted Winter Roots

-Chop parsnips, carrots, beets, and turnups
    -Toss the roots in chopped garlic, rosemary, and onions, balsamic, & olive oil
    -Bake at 350 for about an hour. Bake time really depends on how thick you cut the roots and how soft you like them

Its a beautiful dish and taste great. There are several versions of the recipe online.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
  • BarefootSerenity
    Options
    "Fried" quinoa with roasted veggies. I'll be serving it this year for Thanksgiving. Cook quinoa according to the package directions. Once cooked, heat 1 tbsp olive oil or two, add quinoa, sea salt to taste, and "fry" until quinoa is a light golden to light brown. It will become very nutty and delicious. Add seasoned roasted veggies. Enjoy. (Plain quinoa can be a little boring, but toasting it brings it to another level.)
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Haggis

Given that I live in Scotland (and my friend does as well) haggis is really not a strange food :smile: however it does generally want to be served warm which rules it out (NB the vegetarian haggis is really good so would be suitable from that perspective)
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    Options
    A salad of roast or grilled vegetables.

Would that type of salad be served hot or cold? Sorry if that's a daft question, I've never made a salad with cooked ingredients!

Can be served warm or cold. Here are some examples of recipes

http://www.jamieoliver.com/magazine/recipes-view.php?title=roast-vegetable-salad
    http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/main-course-roast-vegetable-salad-with-greens

If you add fresh greens and want to serve warm, pack the fresh greens separately and just warm up the cooked vegetables in the microwave before mixing with raw greens.

This looks really good, thank you! I'll be sure to try it out this winter either way.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I vote for yor favorite vegetable dis, ethnic, like something your family celebrates with. You can never go wrong with good vegetables, hot or cold
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I think it would be fun if you brought something that isn't traditional for Thanksgiving, something that you like and want to share.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I vote for either a traditional or holiday food from your culture that has general appeal and that you've made before (a party isn't the time to experiment with an unfamiliar recipe) or a favorite dish/food that fits your eating plan. If you have a specialty, bring that. If it's tasty, people will eat it.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Just bring alcohol.

This goes without saying. This and a side dish :). In my home, wine is preferable (to me at least; hubby would disagree).
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    You have to walk across town? Like, 10 miles? 5 Blocks? Is it raining? Hot? Bring something lightweight that can get smushed in a backpack that does not need any refrigeration.

And bring your camera. :wink:
  • bettermistakes87
    bettermistakes87 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Skewers! Fruit skewers, veggie skewers, some fancy caprese skewers (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/caprese-antipasticks-recipe/index.html). You could mix in some cheese tortelini as well or make some fun dipping sauces. :)
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    Options
    You have to walk across town? Like, 10 miles? 5 Blocks? Is it raining? Hot? Bring something lightweight that can get smushed in a backpack that does not need any refrigeration.

Only about 2-3 miles but across bad cobbles and there may or may not be ice. So I don't want to carry anything fragile or crucially dependant on being upright all the time. Rain and/or snow is a strong possibility. Temps should hover around freezing.

Camera is a given!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    "Fried" quinoa with roasted veggies. I'll be serving it this year for Thanksgiving. Cook quinoa according to the package directions. Once cooked, heat 1 tbsp olive oil or two, add quinoa, sea salt to taste, and "fry" until quinoa is a light golden to light brown. It will become very nutty and delicious. Add seasoned roasted veggies. Enjoy. (Plain quinoa can be a little boring, but toasting it brings it to another level.)
    funny but i make quinoa the opposite way - i toast it in a dry pan over medium heat till it gets that nutty smell (about 10 minutes maybe, constantly moving the pot), then i add water and cook. i f i'm adding veg, i'll prepare them separately and add at the end.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options

Only about 2-3 miles but across bad cobbles and there may or may not be ice. So I don't want to carry anything fragile or crucially dependant on being upright all the time. Rain and/or snow is a strong possibility. Temps should hover around freezing.

Camera is a given!

Do they know you're walking? Perhaps just chips....light weight! Sometimes people forget about "snacky-type" things such as chips.. I think if I was hosting, I'd ask you not to bring anything since you were walking....but that's just me!
    :wink: