Old fat runners unite! C25k

Options
I'm 48, obese, and just started the C25k program last week. I'm on Week 2, Day 2 which I'll do tomorrow. I'm looking for others that would like to unite in this journey.

Here are some of my stats:

Start weight 220
Longest run 2.01 mi
Avg 17:54/mi on last run (down from 20:40 on first run)

Nobody should be intimidated by those numbers!! Care to join in the fun?

Replies

• discoveredamber
    discoveredamber Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hello. I just started the c25k program too. I have finished week 2 day 2 and am doing week 2 day 3 today. I would love to have someone to keep me accountable. I just got the runtastic app so i can track all my stats.
  • MamaDubbs65
    MamaDubbs65 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    That's awesome Discoveredamber! I just did week 2 day 3 today. Did you start week 3 yet? It's got me scared!!
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    Hey, just wanted to pop in and say YOU CAN DO IT!!
    We weigh about the same and I just finished c25k :happy: I won't lie- some bits were hard. But I was surprised at how well I progressed. Stick at it, repeat days if you have to but keep on going. You will get there.
    I run very slow so I didn't actually run 5k by the end, but I can run for a solid half hour now and feel fine afterwards. Amazing!

Keep up the great work :drinker: :drinker:
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    How are you doing? I started c25k in February at 250 pounds, doign the Zombies 5k training app. I ran a half marathon in October at 220 pounds. You can do it, don't be afraid :)
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I started C25k at 300lbs, took my time and did the programme over about 22 weeks (with swimming, weigts & elliptical training in between run sessions). I now regularly run 5k in around 36mins, my longest run is 9k and I'm signed up for a 10k & half marathon in May & Oct respecitively next year! I now love running and would run every day if my knees allowed! Stick wit the programme as you will most likely find some sessions tough but at some point (for me it was the middle of wk5) you'll start getting a buzz from running I'm sure :)
  • discoveredamber
    discoveredamber Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I do the first day of week three tomorrow. I am a little nervous but I am starting to enjoy it. I just bought an armband for my phone so I don't have to worry about it falling out of my pocket. Have you started week 3 yet?
  • BrendanScrote
    BrendanScrote Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fella (270 lbs) and old (52) relatively healthy but dreadfully unfit and I started this 8 weeks ago with the aim of getting fit and losing a bit of pudding, I got as far as the middle of W4D2 before having to take a break due to a knee injury which is now almost healed and I'm really looking forward to getting back running (I never thought I would type that last sentence)

Some general comments

* I continue to surprise myself, the gradual build up of run/walk ratio really helps
    * Beginning of week 4 was horrendous but I did it and the next one too
    * I'm using the "Run 5K " ap which is tremendous and well worth the investment
    * I know the ap tells me not to but if I'm feeling good at the end of a run I will do an extra set or two of run/walks
    * I have taken to walking 5K on the day I don't run which really helps
    * I seem to run very slowly (5.5 K/Hour) I feel at the end i will be able to run for 30 minutes rather than 5K
    * My joints ache like buggery sometimes but I have a great feeling of self satisfaction
    * I lost 21lb and 3" from my waist in 8 weeks, my clothes fit better and my skin has improved

Next steps

* Get back on the treadmill (hopefully next week)
    * Start running outside (even if it is cold, wet and miserable)
    * 75lb more to lose
  • MandaLouLou81
    MandaLouLou81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am just starting C25K, and I'm not going to lie I am a bit nervous. I absolutely hate running, and I couldn't imagine what I would do if my life depended on it. I would love some people to help me stay motivated on this new leg of the journey!
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Where do I join ? I've been doing it about 1 yr, steady, 3 times a week. I go about the same pace as you 3.8 mph :)
  • abbylbrown23
    abbylbrown23 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I have been at c10k for about 4 weeks now. I am starting week 4 day 1 today and am nervous, might have to repeat week 3. I thought I would never say this but I actually enjoy jogging! I would not say I am running because I am jogging at 4.5mph.

Anyone feel free to add me I would love to have friends that are also doing c25k or c10k!
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Sign me up, sort of. LOL I started the C25k program a few months ago, but since I was only doing it once or twice a week, I was repeating week one over and over again. Then I did something to my hip. The doc didn't find anything wrong with it after x-rays, so I'm looking to start up again. I'm 55, and right now, I'm about 194 (after 140 days on MFP), and I still have pain in my hip and knees. I probably will start again in the next couple of weeks because this time I'm determined to have good running shoes first. :) However, it will be nice to know that there is a group here of similar age, and in similar circumstances. :D

I'm always open to new friends, so.... :D
  • Tuili
    Tuili Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and I started this 2 weeks ago. I've never been a runner and also have a bad knee (i bought a brace and wear it). I haven't been able to run each full 60 sec for the entire 30 minutes. I can do the first 2 full 60 seconds, but can't keep that pace up for all of the 30 minutes. I've decided to continue to do Week 1 until I can accomplish each 60 seconds for the entire 30 minutes. I'm on my second Week 1. Wondering if I'll ever be able to accomplish this as I'm out of breath 1/2 way through the 30 min. I haven't smoked for over 10 years.
  • abbylbrown23
    abbylbrown23 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and I started this 2 weeks ago. I've never been a runner and also have a bad knee (i bought a brace and wear it). I haven't been able to run each full 60 sec for the entire 30 minutes. I can do the first 2 full 60 seconds, but can't keep that pace up for all of the 30 minutes. I've decided to continue to do Week 1 until I can accomplish each 60 seconds for the entire 30 minutes. I'm on my second Week 1. Wondering if I'll ever be able to accomplish this as I'm out of breath 1/2 way through the 30 min. I haven't smoked for over 10 years.

Do you mind me asking how fast are you running? Have you tried slowing your speed to see if you don't run out of the breathe? I made that mistake, going too fast on the jog intervals and failed. So I researched a little and lowered my speed, was still hard (pain wise) but I was able to breathe better.
  • Tuili
    Tuili Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I go very slowly when I run.
  • krouse83
    krouse83 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hey! I actually just downloaded the C25K app on my phone. I'm so nervous to start it! I used to say, I don't run because I jiggle. And its the truth! I'm also worried about being able to run without having to gasp for air. I know that I need to start slowly, but I'm still a bit nervous. Walking a 5k is no issue, but running? I'm not so sure...
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    This is a great group for C25k, definitely helped me get through it!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

I started C25k in April and will be running my first 10k this weekend, 10 days before my 50th birthday!
  • Breeli0519
    Breeli0519 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and started C25K 4 weeks ago. I am repeating week 3. I will do w3d3 tonight and i'm running it on the treadmill. I look forward to moving outside in the spring. I know running outside and on the treadmill are 2 different animals. But late fall/winter in the midwest can be wicked sometimes...but I digress.

Sign me up!
  • MamaDubbs65
    Options
    I've been absent for a few weeks due to a family emergency that took me out of town. I only managed to complete week 2 day 3 while I was away and then took a 2 week break. My father had passed away on the 18th of last month and I just couldn't find the motivation to move forward. I finally got back to the gym this week and thought I would repeat week 2, but decided to push myself to see if I could move forward to week 3. To my surprise, I did it. I also did week 3 day 2 and plan on doing day 3 tomorrow. It feels good to be back on track.

I'm was so happy to log on today and see so many replies! I know we can do this together. I'm also glad to see I'm not the only one who "runs" at a slow pace. 3.0 walk and 4.0 run for me. I do try to push it up a little on the shorter runs, but I'm more concerned with finishing the program than speed. I'm using the a Ease into 5k by Blue Fin.

Keep up,the good work folks and please check in often :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I got up to Week 8 and actually did the 30minutes, but didn't get the 3.1 miles down. Then I slacked and didn't run for a month so I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to start from at least Week 4 again :laugh: I was going to start up this week, but found the cold air and I are having issues :tongue: Just got in a couple scarves/balaclavas so we'll see how that goes. :bigsmile:
  • MamaDubbs65
    Options
    Way to get back at it Joy_Joy! I hope your run went good today :)

I'm heading off to the gym shortly :)

PS - I know I won't be at 3.1 miles in 30 minutes, but my goal is to run a whole 5k no matter how long it takes. My first official 5k event is planned for next March through my YMCA. That gives me plenty of time to work up to it.