Are you really tall and fat?

Options
Im 6 foot 6 and have always ignored doing anything about my weight simply because people say "you don't look it?" or "You carry it well because you are taller"

I agree I would definitely look slimmer than a 5 foot 2 bloke who weighed the same but I am interested to know if anyone else on here is of similar height and what they weigh? Particularly if they are nearly the end of their loss programe and just tone/keep the body looking good.

Main reason I want to know is because here in the UK I have been told a healthy weight for a person of my heigh is 15 stone... I personally don't think that would A) Look right and B) be healthy.

I started mid September and have lost 2 stone from 21 stone 6lb to 19stone 6lb's... I am looking to lose another 2stone but honestly think from then it will just be about the weights and occasional Spin classes.

Fingers crossed anyway

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I am 5"10 - not quite 6"6 I admit, but fairly tall for a lady. I get told much the same thing, I started off at just over 20 stone and no-one ever believed me when I told them.

I try not to pay attention to BMI. My ideal weight is between 10 and 12 stone. I could do 12 at a push, but I don't think I'd look right, and ideally I'd be looking at a stone above that. BMI doesn't take into account muscle, so get to your target and re-evaluate.

Personally, I think 15 stone on a 6"6 man would look very slim, depending on their build.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Im 5 foot 9 and my ideal weight range is 9 1/2 stone to 12 stone. I am just under 12 stone and everyone is telling me I look like a perfect size for my height. I feel I could keep going although probably not right down to 9 1/2. When I was 16 stone, I always thought that me at 12 stone would look ridiculously thin - turns out I was just used to seeing myself fat and it actually looks good.

I think you will know if you want to keep going or not as you progressively lose the weight
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    At 6'3" I've come from where you are now to under 16st and I'm still eating at a deficit to lose weight.

With everyone telling you that you don't look overweight, and that you carry it well - it's partly true as you say, but they're just trying to make sure you don't feel ashamed of your weight and are trying to be kind.
    This is not helpful, you are overweight and will be a lot healthier, able bodied, and possibly (no promises) happier at a lighter weight.

I agree that 17st would be a good place to reaccess and that the bmi charts are simply a quick guide.

Take it slowly, try to keep your muscle, don't panic if you find out there was a higher fat to muscle ratio than you thought, and good luck in getting healthier and with whatever goals you decide from there.
  • stackhead
    stackhead Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Female at 5"11 here and people have always told me I didn't look as big as I weigh, started off at 21 stone.

I'm aiming for 12 stone, to get me into the healthy BMI numbers but will stop earlier if necessary. Currently about to hit the 17's and still look the same as 21 (to me anyway!!).
  • Hitsujikai
    Hitsujikai Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'3 and at my heaviest I was pushing 19 stone, I have lost 2 stone of that and I want to lost another 3 taking my weight down to 14 stone. I have done this before and once I reached that weight everyone was telling me I had lost too much but I was physically fit, maintaining my weight, exercising every day and bulking up.

Similar to you people simply did not believe that I was weighing 19 stone when I started losing weight and said similar things to what you are hearing. My advice would be to set an achievable target and get there, if you're happy at that target then begin maintaining, if you aren't then set a new target and keep going. As IronSmasher said, just take it slowly and stop when you feel you are healthy and happy enough at your new weight.
  • jnmaddock
    jnmaddock Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I always had the same comments. I was 6'1" and 119kg, 262lbs, 18st 10lbs... not as tall as you.
    People are being kind when they say things like that... They are your worst enemy.
    I have now lost 60lbs since Feb because I wanted to be healthier... I ran 10miles on Saturday... I couldn't dream of that 10 months ago.
    I was 89kg this morning, 195lbs 14st.

According to BMI I'm still overweight!
    As others say - take ideal BMI with a pinch of salt.

You are doing great... Keep it up and when you get to a weight you are happy with maintain it - that is key.
    Good luck :) !!!
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I am a 6'1" female and have always been told that I "carry my weight well." At 6'1" the suggested range for me is between 150 -180. I can't even remember the time I was anywhere near those weights. Maybe 175 in 6th grade and I was in shape. A few years ago a Dr. told me she would like to see me around 200 so that is what I am shooting for. I am pretty sure I would look sick at anything less than 175...
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Im 6 foot 6 and have always ignored doing anything about my weight simply because people say "you don't look it?" or "You carry it well because you are taller"

I agree I would definitely look slimmer than a 5 foot 2 bloke who weighed the same but I am interested to know if anyone else on here is of similar height and what they weigh? Particularly if they are nearly the end of their loss programe and just tone/keep the body looking good.

Main reason I want to know is because here in the UK I have been told a healthy weight for a person of my heigh is 15 stone... I personally don't think that would A) Look right and B) be healthy.

I started mid September and have lost 2 stone from 21 stone 6lb to 19stone 6lb's... I am looking to lose another 2stone but honestly think from then it will just be about the weights and occasional Spin classes.

Fingers crossed anyway

My father is your height and broad across the shoulders as well. I've seen his pictures from when he got out of the military during Vietnam - he was about 13 stone then and he looked great and very fit, not unhealthy and/or superskinny.

Go ahead and go to 17 - but then take some good hard looks at yourself in the mirror with your clothes off. Don't trust what your friends say -- mine are all telling me that I look great and so skinny, but bodyfat measurement AND the naked mirror are still telling me that I have about 15 lbs to go if not possibly more.

Your friends are often so used to seeing you overweight that when you become a normal weight they will think you're skinny.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    My father is 6' even and has never weight less than 17 stone but supposedly his healthy BMI is 11.5-14 stone. But my dad is in great shape and is extremely healthy. He is also very built! He has a 6 pack, you can see the veins on his arms. Basically the BMI is only for people who have very little muscle mass.

I am a 5'4" female and I apparently inherited my dad's natural muscle mass. When I am around 10.5 stone I feel great! I have muscle definition, I wear a size 8US and I am very happy with how I look. The one time I got down to a "healthy BMI" or around 9 stone, you could count every bone in my body, see every single muscle, and I was very unhealthy! It was only because I had issues with my digestion and couldn't eat. I will never go that low again!

I would definitely focus more on health and how you feel in your own skin than the BMI recommendations!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'm "only" 5'8" so just slightly above average for a woman. But I can still relate to this somewhat!

People have also told me, my whole life, "oh you're just big all over, you carry it well". I believed them, probably WAY too much!!

As I lose weight (all-time high of 307 to currently 211) I notice my height difference a lot more when I am with my friends. I used to think, oh I'm just bigger, fatter, whatever...but then I start noticing I'm a head above my 5'3" best friend and my arm's reach is so much longer...stuff like that. I really am bigger and taller, not just fatter. I think a healthy weight for me would be (according to the charts) 155-160 but I'm not sure I would like that. I am aiming for 180 and then I will go from there.
  • Routerninja
    Options
    6'8" here and fat.

My highest was 602 back in 2010. and yes, it was a huge wake up call for me since I never truly believed I was that big since I do have a very large frame, broad shoulders and at one time, did have quite a few muscles on that frame,
  • DaddyDave101
    DaddyDave101 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the replies, really appreciated.

I think its definitely a case of reviewing at the time. Im hoping what fat is left I will replace for muscle and still keep my big frame...

I don't want to go back to being a Lanky Dave (Hope you guys in the US know what I mean by that word)
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I don't understand all that stone business and frankly, too lazy to google it. That said, I'm 6'4 and have lost 64lbs...a bunch of stones maybe? I was told the same, you look great for your height. Some people will tell me that I"m losing too much, others say I look great, others still call me "big guy". It's all subjective. What I've found is that as I lose weight and discover that there is muscle under my "winter coat" I find that I want to lose more, that I want to see what my true Adonis like body will look like. Bottom line, as you lose, you will find that your goals will change.

Good look "mate".

: )