Falling into a binge eating disorder? :(

Options
2»

Replies

• jenniferb_00
    Options
    I have kind of a similar situation on my hands. I lost a lot of wight really fast a few years back. Too much weight it just so happened. I have very disordered eating habits to this day, im not diagnosed with anything but i know better then to think i dont have a problem. I went from my highest, about 175 to about 104, then i started being eating and jumped to 129, now i'm at 118ish. I want to get to 115lbs (i'm 5'3) but i keep binging every other day. I know it can be super hard. I find i suck at portion control, its easier for me is i just don't start eating the foods im likley to binge on. If you ever want to talk feel free to message me.
  • iowasweetie101
    Options
    Me too.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    If you have binge eating disorder, it probably has little to do with being hungry or making the right choices. If you have binge eating disorder, you are most likely using food as a way to medicate yourself and stop unpleasant episodes of stress, loneliness, depression, or anxiety (the list goes on). Eating too much is not binge eating disorder. Did you eat all those things at once and did you try to hide it? Or, did you eat those things separately? Have you done this several times per week in the last few weeks? Did it happen when you were feeling anxious or just because the food looked good? Compulsive eating and binge eating disorder are not necessarily the same thing. People who have BED often do not fantasize about food; in fact, they often have a negative feelings towards food. BED is something that signals a larger issue, much like cutting is something that expresses a deeper issue.
  • hollyanne572
    hollyanne572 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    To help me from binge eating I make sure I have a piece of fruit with almost every meal or after I have exercised, my blood sugar drops really low and if that happens i become ravenous... so yeah fruit works a charm.
  • benimruh
    Options
    :(:(
  • Renata2388
    Renata2388 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Cut out all sugar. It causes massive cravings and triggers the binges. I'm speak from experience. It sucks, but you can do it!

Partially true, i dont think you can cut out all sugar since even fruits have sugar in them and our body needs sugar but you can try avoid food which have a high glycemic index, I've noticed that when i eat a banana I get even more hungry afterwards since it has a high GI compared to other fruits try googling the low GI diet :)

True about the fruit. I was meaning processed sugars (baked goods, candy, etc.) Low GI is a better way to put it.
  • Runtivated
    Options
    Hello! First of all, I commend you for being so honest with your binging struggles. It can be hard to come to terms with! Secondly, I recommend cutting yourself some slack. We all "fall off the wagon" from time to time, and although it's natural to be unhappy about it, stressing out over it may actually trigger you to eat even more. It's the worst kind of feedback loop!

So be gentle with yourself. Imagine you saw another woman treating herself the way you're treating yourself when you feel like you've messed up. You'd probably want to hug her, tell her everything's gonna be okay, and help her get back on track, right? You don't deserve any less.

Another thing that may help is by making an effort to be around other people, particularly friends and family. I've found that I'm most likely to binge when I'm feeling some sort of negative emotion and I'm alone. Spending time with people you love, chatting with them about how you're feeling, and just being around people in general can keep you distracted, comforted, and remind yourself how loved you are. :D

Hope this helps!
    Hey, thank you! :)
    This really helped, in this nice comforting ineedahug way ^.^ You're right, perhaps its time to get out and about a bit. I'm just a very socially awkward person so I tend to er, fade away and right out of the social scene. And yes, being alone causes MAJOR binges!
  • Runtivated
    Options
    Cut out all sugar. It causes massive cravings and triggers the binges. I'm speak from experience. It sucks, but you can do it!

Partially true, i dont think you can cut out all sugar since even fruits have sugar in them and our body needs sugar but you can try avoid food which have a high glycemic index, I've noticed that when i eat a banana I get even more hungry afterwards since it has a high GI compared to other fruits try googling the low GI diet :)

True about the fruit. I was meaning processed sugars (baked goods, candy, etc.) Low GI is a better way to put it.
    Guys, this is SUPER true lol.
    Before i started college, I was lifting heavy with barbell squats and such and staying on a really low carb diet with lots of cheese and eggs etc, and I was actually gaining a nice lean muscle definition! Carbs seriously lead to more carbs and the sudden sugar spike does nothing for your mood either!
    Like I think I went on a carb cycle lol So its endless and now I feel bloated and 'soft' and wobbly. and its literally all happened in a month! I've started low carb again, as in cutting out fruits and yoghurt. First day, but I feel kind of better and slightly positive...
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I was this way for years and years. I was so confused. Why couldn't I stop eating? Found out: you eat to relieve yourself of other things going on. Things you probably don't even realize that you're numbing by eating. I saw a therapist who helped me become aware of what those underlying problems were. Once I worked on them, I could start working on the food. IT is always going to be a struggle for me. I love to eat, but I have gotten into the habit of tracking my food and trying to eat every 4 hours.
  • louisetteN
    Options
    I'm going through a similar situation right now and it's horrible. I've been binging for 4 days and I put on 2.5 kgs!!! I feel really disappointed, but I've downloaded this app in order to get back on track and I'm very excited to get into this big and beautiful family that you guys created here, you are all such a huge inspiration.
    I'm supposed to go to London in the middle of December and I hope I'll be able to lose at least 4 kgs til then. I'm doing Body Revolution by Jillian Michaels at the moment and I won't give up on it no matter what, it's already enough that I've binged so much, I'm not going to ruin my fitness activity as well.
    Take care and stay strong!
  • CrimsonStain
    CrimsonStain Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I could dish out tons of tips and advice but there are others before me & after me that will certainly do such therefore I will keep it simple. I have binged plenty of times and regretted it. I notice I tend to eat more on days I am stressed and DON'T exercise; on days that I do, my appetite decreased and I was able to control it. So...when you get the urge to start chowing down, put on your running shoes and hit the paths. Run. Bike. Swim. Do whatever exercise you love most. And hopefully when you come back, your huge appetite should decrease and you'll eat less. Also consider the stress you are undergoing, exercise should help relieve some of that as well. I hope everything works out for you :smile:
  • Runtivated
    Options
    If you have binge eating disorder, it probably has little to do with being hungry or making the right choices. If you have binge eating disorder, you are most likely using food as a way to medicate yourself and stop unpleasant episodes of stress, loneliness, depression, or anxiety (the list goes on). Eating too much is not binge eating disorder. Did you eat all those things at once and did you try to hide it? Or, did you eat those things separately? Have you done this several times per week in the last few weeks? Did it happen when you were feeling anxious or just because the food looked good? Compulsive eating and binge eating disorder are not necessarily the same thing. People who have BED often do not fantasize about food; in fact, they often have a negative feelings towards food. BED is something that signals a larger issue, much like cutting is something that expresses a deeper issue.
    hey! Thanks for pointing that out lol It is of course, a deeper issue, eating disorders hardly ever come without one! I think I've started projecting on food and perhaps eating too much has become a sort of self punishment for not being in control and since binges make you feel even more out of control it really is a viscious cycle. I'd get help but I often get quite doubtful about that especially since im studying psych myself if you know what I mean ^.^
  • Runtivated
    Options
    I could dish out tons of tips and advice but there are others before me & after me that will certainly do such therefore I will keep it simple. I have binged plenty of times and regretted it. I notice I tend to eat more on days I am stressed and DON'T exercise; on days that I do, my appetite decreased and I was able to control it. So...when you get the urge to start chowing down, put on your running shoes and hit the paths. Run. Bike. Swim. Do whatever exercise you love most. And hopefully when you come back, your huge appetite should decrease and you'll eat less. Also consider the stress you are undergoing, exercise should help relieve some of that as well. I hope everything works out for you :smile:
    aw thanks love! Exercising definitely helps! But its getting too cold for running her sso I usually turn into a bed bear and hibernate -.-
  • Runtivated
    Options
    I was this way for years and years. I was so confused. Why couldn't I stop eating? Found out: you eat to relieve yourself of other things going on. Things you probably don't even realize that you're numbing by eating. I saw a therapist who helped me become aware of what those underlying problems were. Once I worked on them, I could start working on the food. IT is always going to be a struggle for me. I love to eat, but I have gotten into the habit of tracking my food and trying to eat every 4 hours.
    Ahaha yeah, usually I just feel utterly hollow and eat to fill that hollow and I suppose I start hating myself then and punishing myself by eating till I feel filthy and sick and bloated. Its horrid. It feels shameful talking avout it but im really just going to talk about it now
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Filthy? That's a rather odd association to use with food. You should seek professional mental help, like counseling, therapy. Nip this in the bud.
  • IdsFknTaken
    Options
    From http://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/1qp1ng/tips_for_not_binge_eating_or_at_least_stopping_a/cdf0yey:

Avoidance: Try logging the calories of all the stuff you are planning to eat FIRST, and then deciding if you are OK with that or not.

(For me, I could so easily binge on just a crusty loaf with butter that I don't even keep that kind of bread in the house right now, but if I were going to binge on it I could eat most of a loaf and then I'd have to figure out how much butter I would put on it - maybe a pat or 1.5 pats per slice, x maybe 7 or 9 slices. Well, there I am, about 1200 calories just for this binge, tacked on to whatever I've already had for the day.)

If you don't care and still want the food, then try telling yourself you can have it after you do something productive - a walk around the block, a certain number of jumping jacks/push-ups, etc. Make yourself work for it, not because the exercise is going to cancel out the binge (it won't by a long shot) but because the effort and good feelings of physical activity might snap you out of it and realign your priorities!

Interrupting: Brush your teeth. Menthol cough drops. Strong mouthwash.

And in general, for the future, it can help if you get comfortable with the idea that being mildly hungry is a fine and pleasant temporary state to be in—anticipating, but not obsessing over, your next healthy meal. You feel good - you aren't stuffed or bloated, and you have the energy to get things done. And after you eat the meal, you won't have eaten so much to put you in a food coma, or sabotage your daily calorie target, you'll have eaten enough to satisfy your body and now you can move on to other tasks or hobbies.