Low fat creamy sauce

Options
MoiKarina
MoiKarina Posts: 139 Member
Hey,

I'm looking for a creamy sauce recipe that wouldn't compromise my diet. It's to bake with vegetables like cauliflower and broccoli. The usual Béchamel sauce with caramelized onions might not be a good idea. :cry: So I'm looking for suggestions. :bigsmile:

Replies

• eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Can you make your usual sauce, but replace it with some lower calorie ingredients, or use a smaller serving size? Like use 1% milk instead of whole milk, or using a couple of tablespoons of sauce instead of a quarter cup?
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    I use silken tofu instead of heavy cream.
  • lts42uk
    lts42uk Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I use cream cheese, either full fat or low fat, whatever your preference, melted in a pan with a dash of milk! It's my cream substitute and I use it with pasta all the time with other things added.
  • MoiKarina
    Options
    actually Béchamel sauce is made of butter, flour and milk. So I can definitely use skimmed milk and try low far butter. But it's hard to find one you can cook with.
  • MoiKarina
    Options
    Low fat cream cheese can be nice for creamy mushrooms for sure. But not sure with cauliflower and broccoli. I must try.
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    light soft cheese
    low fat cream cheese
    and a bit vegetable stock

delicious and goes with everything.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Low fat creme fraiche or 0% greek yogurts make anything creamy!
  • MoiKarina
    Options
    light soft cheese
    low fat cream cheese

Sounds like a great idea. Danke
  • MoiKarina
    Options
    light soft cheese
    low fat cream cheese

I find low far creme fraiche still pretty fat, no?
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I find that I can sub in greek yogurt for mayo or sour cream just about any time.
  • lisiloulah
    lisiloulah Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My dad has a cheats white sauce that doesn't use fat: boil 1 pint of milk in the microwave (takes about 2 minutes depending on the wattage and how cold your milk is to start!) Mix 1 tablespoon of corn flour into a bit of cold milk until smooth and then add this to the hot milk. Heat in the microwave in short bursts stirring regularly until thick - add more cornflour mixture of you need it, but don't add too much, sometimes it thickens suddenly! You can very the quantities as required.

You can do it on the hob, but the milk takes a little longer to boil.
  • princesstoadstool82
    Options
    I made white sauce... experimentally. .. as I dont use butter, I used olive oil instead, and a no fat milk called A2 ... and flour... added salt and pepper. .. used it in a spinach and feta lasagna ;)
  • alicevick3
    Options
    evaporated milk is a good sub for cream. Cornstarch has a recipe for white sauce on the side of the box that has not fat in it at all.
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Use olive oil, flour or corn starch then add either chicken if vegetable stock add only a small amount of milk or cream to give the creamy texture.
  • MoiKarina
    Options
    I must say I'm not in the US but Ireland and corn starsh or corn four are not items you can find easily there.
  • MoiKarina
    Options
    I made white sauce... experimentally. .. as I dont use butter, I used olive oil instead, and a no fat milk called A2 ... and flour... added salt and pepper. .. used it in a spinach and feta lasagna ;)

This is a great idea. I never thought of replacing butter with olive oil. And I'm Provencal, we use Olive oil all the time. :D
  • MoiKarina
    Options
    Use olive oil, flour or corn starch then add either chicken if vegetable stock add only a small amount of milk or cream to give the creamy texture.

I like the idea of broth and milk mixed together. Did you try it yourself? With which kind of food?
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I must say I'm not in the US but Ireland and corn starsh or corn four are not items you can find easily there.

Eh, I live in Dublin, and you can get cornflour in any supermarket, in the baking aisle.

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=cornflour
  • MoiKarina
    Options

Eh, I live in Dublin, and you can get cornflour in any supermarket, in the baking aisle.

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=cornflour

Not in Dublin but Cork actually. I still can go and have a look at Tesco. I never go there while I know you can find more there than in any other shops.
  • HunterKiller_deleted
    Options
    Low fat creme fraiche or 0% greek yogurts make anything creamy!

This.