Oatmeal

Options

Replies

• kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Fruits (even mix some together)-- banana, apple slices, blueberries, strawberries, cherries, mangos, peaches, craisins, raisins

Cinnamon + Raisins

1/2 TBSP honey (sweetens it up and tastes wonderful but not too strong) + sliced almonds + raisins (or fresh fruits)

raisins + 1/2 TBSP honey + pecans + tiny bit of vanilla protein powder

apples + cinnamon + honey

I typically like mine thick & sticky...but if I'm in the mood for thinner oatmeal, I'll add a little bit of skim milk.

Sometimes I'll even just eat it plain...but I love it with fruit!!
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    When preparing Oatmeal from scratch (just plain oats) for breakfast, it is important to include a protein source with it as the oats are mostly carbs. Fruit and other natural sugars are a great way to enhance the flavor as well. Its all about finding a combination that will meet your calorie goal for this specific meal. For me, I choose one protein source and one fruit to mix into my oatmeal. I choose the specific combinations based on the calorie count

Here's some mix-ins that contain protein:
    -milk
    -nut butter
    -sliced almonds or walnuts
    -protein powder
    -yogurt (my preference with oats is greek, nonfat, vanilla)
    -cottage cheese
    -flax seed
    -sunflower seeds

Swetener/Fruits that pair well:
    -baked apple with cinnamon
    -banana slices (tasty with nuts)
    -strawberry and blueberry mix
    -blackberries (great with yogurt and oats)
    -pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice (good with milk)
    -baked pear
    -strawberry-kiwi
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I normally buy the flavored instant oatmeals. They have weight control ones and low calorie ones.

These are great for an occasional meal-on-the-go, however be aware of sodium and sugar content!! also, the packets usually don't include enough nutrients for an entire breakfast. If you're going to have oatmeal for breakfast on a daily basis, it is more nutritious to make it from scratch and add in some extra vitamins and protein!
  • tameka1220
    tameka1220 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    splenda! thats it nuffin else!
  • size3again
    size3again Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    WOW talk about making oatmeal look good...
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    -Fruit (this time of year apple or pear, but frozen stuff in a pinch!)
    -Nuts (walnuts)
    -Cinnamon

If I'm TOTALLY craving something sweet, I sometimes skip the above and grate dark chocolate and add some sugar. :blushing:
  • sempernova
    sempernova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 cup skim milk, 2 bags of stevia....yummy and under 250 cals!!!:bigsmile:
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup multi grain hot cereal (got tired of plain oatmeal) and 1/2 oz each chopped walnuts and dried cherries and a generous amount of cinnamon. Yummy!
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I like mine with
    Raw organic Sugar, cinnamon and organic raisins! Yummy!
  • doublexhelix
    doublexhelix Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    1 Tbs PEANUT BUTTER!!!!!! SOO GOOD
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    1 tsp mini chocolate chips...
  • StefSki_16
    Options
    I use water, because I can't tell the difference between water or soy milk (is what I would use instead). Then I sprinkle a bit of cinnamon/sugar mixture on top!
  • THISisTARRAN
    THISisTARRAN Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I am sure it is not nearly as good for you, but I just eat instant oatmeal everyday. I eat it for breakfast, the maple & brown sugar kind, every morning for breakfast, with water. It is really tasty, what I like most about it is that I can grab it quickly and take it to work with me.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    To those using the instant oatmeal in the packets that have flavoring already in them. Maybe you are using them because they are quick, as I used to. It is possible to get oatmeal that cooks quickly and comes in bulk.

I have discovered the Wessex Ltd Irish Style Oats, which cook in the microwave in about 2.5 minutes. After cooing, I add a 1/2 scoop of Genisoy Vanilla protein powder, and 1/4 cup of almond milk, and cinnamon. Then stir, and sometimes I put in apple slices, or 3 or 4 pitted prunes.

This is very filling, high in protein, and I find when I start my day with it, I am less likely to develop cravings in the evening after dinner.
  • johnthefatman
    Options
    My breakfast is now - 50g oats water 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 70-100s fat free vanilla yoghurt and 2 tsp splenda- I've recently cut out the honey and banana as my daily allowance is coming down in step with my weight -

There's some great ideas in this thread I will be trying - apple sauce tomorrow.

J
  • dion07
    dion07 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i usually stew an apple, add the glutin free porridge (which i cook seperatley), then add 2 egg whites for protein, when its all cooked i add flax & pumpkin, then a dash of soya milk, i use 40gr porridge, agan this is made i have double the size bowl., it looks to much but half of it is apple or sometimes berries.
    i use stevia for sweetner.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I mix 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup almond milk, 1/2 cup fresh sliced strawberries, 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder, and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon in a pot and cook for about 5 minutes. It's wonderful! I can't have my oatmeal with water or without some kind of fruit added...just too bland for me and I don't like artificial sweeteners (I get my "sweetness" in there from the fruit).

I make it other ways too, but that's how I've been doing it a lot lately and I love it.
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    I used to add fruit!

Banana
    Raisins
    Small Apple Cubes

Or try Peanut Butter (only a little bit)

But the milk in Taiwan tastes so fresh (it has a milky taste) that I can use low fat milk and not want to add anything else!!

Cinnamon sounds good though, I want to try that! This is a good thread for ideas!
  • sunnysashka
    Options
    it is my fav breakfast! 1/2 cup of oatmeal, 3/4 cup fat free milk, 10 grams walnuts, 1 Tbsp of peanut butter! yum! abot 400 calories
  • IrinaPA
    IrinaPA Posts: 19
    Options
    Fat free organic milk and one pack of splenda.