Fat free or full fat Greek yogurt is better?

Options
Should I get fat free or full fat Greek yogurt?

Will full fat Greek yogurt really make you feel full longer?

What do you guys prefer?

Replies

• CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I love love love Fage full fat Greek yogurt but have a hard time finding it. It's so good, it's thicker and takes me longer to eat and I feel more satisfied. I mainly eat Fage total 2%, which I like better than the 0%.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well, full fat will make you full a bit longer. Whether it will make you feel full longer enough to justify the extra calories is really up to you. I know I can't see any difference in satiety between 0% and 2% so I typically go for 0%... I'm not even trying full fat, to be honest (plus yeah, it's much harder to find anyway).
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I buy both and eat whichever will better fit my macros for the day. Fage Total 2% is the absolute best!
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I thought the full fat Fage is 2%....I've never seen any higher fat Fage. I would say it depends on your personal preference and what fits into your diet. IMO, 2% Fage tastes 1000% better than the 0%.
  • cjcolorado
    cjcolorado Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love the Fage 2% (just ate a cup with cherries) and find the 0% to be a little chalky, unless I'm making ranch dip wtih it. If you can find Voskos, though, their 0% fat is quite good and not as chalky. Fage makes a full fat (4%?), but it is hard to find.
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If (all your other foods + non fat greek yogurt) leaves you with room for fat in your diet, then i'd eat the full fat.

If your all ready walking that line of going over your fat needs, then you should have the non fat.

Fatty foods definitally have an advantage for satiety. But they are also easy to overeat because of the higher calorie per quantity. I have never tried full fat greek yogurt, but i'm sure like alll things, it taste way better :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Depends what you're making with it. I rarely just sit and eat yoghurt on its own - I might add it to grated cucmber for a raita, or blob it on top of a curry. I might add it to overnight oats along with dried fruits and nuts, or use it as a mayo substitute for a healthier Ceasar dressing. In none of those instances have I thought "ooooh, the full fat wouldve been better"
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Should I get fat free or full fat Greek yogurt?

Will full fat Greek yogurt really make you feel full longer?

What do you guys prefer?

I prefer full fat... tastes better to me. Which IS better? Depends on the context of the rest of your diet and macros.
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Full fat Greek yogurt is gorgeous - I ate it every breakfast with berries over the summer and it added up to less than 150 calories most day - hardly breaking the calorie bank!
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    When it comes to yogurt, I've had a hard time finding anything more delicious than Brown Cow full fat cream top greek yogurt. They make it in several flavors, but my favorite is the Maple. If you can remember the first time you had Greek yogurt and compared it to regular yogurt (that OMG THIS IS SO THICK AND CREAMY AND AWESOME moment), well, the first time you have cream top greek yogurt will be very similar. It's insanely delish. Mmmmm
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Full fat is usually in the 9 -10%, and OMG tastes way better than 0 or 2%, Though I do the 2%, as I get enough fat elsewhere in my diet
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Fage 2% rocks. I add banana protein powder and psyllium to it and turn it into a cup of pudding.

305 calories, 17g carbs (12g net), 6g fat, 47g protein. I'm full until lunch.
  • mkemmc6009
    Options
    If I'm eating the yogurt as my breakfast meal, I prefer the full fat great taste of Noosa Yoghurt. If I'm making refrigerater oats or muesli, I will use a low fat or fat free.
  • fangmouse
    Options
    Oh I don't know. In my country, fage is incredibly expensive like almost 5 dollars for a 170g single serving Cup and we only have normal yogurts which are really watery ugh I prefer slightly thicker yogurts and the only ones available are full fat ones. I plan to buy a single serving of full fat yogurt for a taste test first and then decide from there.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I love all the Fage Total yoghurts, the 'full fat' is still only 5% fat so, if your cals/ macros can take it, it is certainly a creamy dessert option. I like the 2% best, 0% is great as a savoury but I find it a little tart for breakfast without fruit/honey.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Oh sorry just saw your post - the only thing to be weary of with non Fage ones is that many of them call themselves greek-style yoghurt etc and so have heaps of sugar / chemicals in. A good, healthy yoghurt needs nothing more than milk and live cultures.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    When it comes to yogurt, I've had a hard time finding anything more delicious than Brown Cow full fat cream top greek yogurt. They make it in several flavors, but my favorite is the Maple. If you can remember the first time you had Greek yogurt and compared it to regular yogurt (that OMG THIS IS SO THICK AND CREAMY AND AWESOME moment), well, the first time you have cream top greek yogurt will be very similar. It's insanely delish. Mmmmm

I almost bought one of those the other day but forgot to double back to get it. I'll have to try one next time I'm at that store.

I think of full-fat Greek yogurt as a treat. I don't live near a Trader Joe's, but when I get to one, I really like their strawberry vanilla full fat Greek yogurt, but it's so rich that I usually only eat half the container, and I couldn't imagine eating it on a regular basis. Most of the time I eat the 0% Fage, though there are a few 2% flavors of Chobani I really like (especially the lime).
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Full fat yogurt is pure heaven, although depending on how many calories you have, it might be harder to fit into your daily allowance.
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm happy with the taste of 0% greek yogurt, so that's what I buy. I save the fattier dairy products forwhere I really appreciate the fuller taste: cheese and sour cream!
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm really happy with non-fat Greek yogurt with honey. Yum.

Tend to get my dairy fat from the occasional dollup of sour cream or small serving of cheese.