What do you think of Curves?

Options
I have a curves within 1 mile in either direction of my house. I was wondering what you all thought of it. I was considering getting a membership. I have never been to a gym and I am VERY intimidated by them. I was thinking that Curves would be a baby step to getting to a traditional gym.

Replies

• melon_e
    melon_e Posts: 58
    Options
    I did Curves years ago and ended up getting bored with the routine of it. Why not ask for a one week trial? I know the one that I went to used to do that.
  • AdorablePanda
    AdorablePanda Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's not a bad place especially if you just want to get into the routine of going to the gym. :-) you probably will get bored of it pretty quickly though....so you may not want to sign up for a long-term membership. :-) Hope that helps.
  • noni77
    noni77 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I :heart: Curves! (So I'm biased :wink: ) I agree with Melone see if you can get a trial before you hand over any money. In Australia you pay on a monthly basis - though I think if I cancelled my membership in the first year I would have had to pay a cancellation fee.
    I highly recommend the Zumba circuits - if that sounds like you give that a go too. (Video on website.)
    And of your nearby ones might have Curves Smart - love that!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I like Curves, I think it is a very good place to get started, as it is a really informal and relaxed environment and there are no muscley blokes heaviing lumps of iron around to intimidate you (of course there is also no eye candy either, but you have to choose!)
    I went for over a year and combined with eating well, lost about 12kg and kept it off for quite some time. Then I moved house, stopped going to the Curves, stopped exercising altogether, ate crap and put the weight back on!
    So, I'd recommend it, but definitley ask it you can try it out first to make sure that you do too.
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    michelle_mareshfuehrer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I had a REALLY bad experience with Curves. I joined, worked out every day, became frustrated that I was only "allowed" to work out for 30 minutes once per day, and then wanted to end my membership at the end of my year contract because of it. When it was time to end my contract, they did not want to release me even though the contract was expired, and instead made me write a letter explaining why I wanted to leave and made me pay for 2 additional months while they "processed" my letter. I will never do it again and always tell others about this---if you look on Google there are a lot of other people who had difficulty getting out of their contracts, as well.
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    I joined as well, and it wasn't intense enough for me. My curves gym was full of little old ladies in denim capris hardly breaking a sweat. I didn't feel like I was working out. I did lose some weight (probably from eating healthy) but didn't get any muscle definition. I ended up not going at all after 3 months, but I was in a year contract. And you do have to give 2 months notice to break contract IN WRITING, so I had the same problem of paying two more months after my year was up. I started Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred this month and have had more results from that in two weeks than my three months at curves. Plus, their hours at my local gym were horrible. They closed at 8pm. Only open Sat 8-12, and closed Sunday. I work third shift and it didn't work out for me.
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I own a gym, and I'm a personal trainer, so I'm biased. I think Curves did a lot for the fitness industry in helping us realize that we need to help people feel comfortable. So that's what I work hard to do.

But from a trainer standpoint, I think Curves is very ineffective. It goes against everything I learned as a trainer. You need variety and progression to move beyond 6 weeks. Not only will you get bored, but you will be wasting a lot of time. At Curves, the people who really lose weight, are the ones who watch everything they eat, and do other forms of exercise (which Curves encourages)

My suggestion, is start looking at smaller gyms. Economic times and competition from big box gyms make it necessary for small gyms, like mine, to offer incredible deals. I no longer even offer contracts. And many gyms have done the same thing. Don't ever fall for the old line, "Well, you need to sign up now, to get this price, or waive the initiation" or the line, "We'll give you this great monthly price, and 1 free month, if you sign up for a year." Just don't do it. Find a gym that will give you a good deal, and ask to consult with a trainer and try a week or two for free. If you have a friend that uses a gym, ask them to refer you. You might even get a better deal.

But my opinion is, if the only reason you want to join Curves is the intimidation factor, then you need to insist that you don't do a year.
  • MmhmmStephanie
    Options
    I can't speak for Curves for my mom. But they really screwed my mom over in our town. My mom had joined curves to lose weight before my sister's wedding, but only actually went a couple of times and eventually stopped going all together but was still paying because she paid a year out.

Well, the head lady of that particular Curves called her up and said, "Your BMI is off the charts, if you want to live to see those grandchildren, you better get back down here". Needless to say, the lady got an earful from my mom and said she'd never recommend them to anyone.

As far as the training goes, it's too fast pace for me. I don't think it's BAD, I just don't move that fast and definitely can't keep up.

However, I have heard many success stories with it. It's just something you've got to stick to. I wish you the bast of luck if that's the route you decide to take. And I certainly hope they treat you as someone who's looking for a lifestyle change and not just a customer.
  • c2sky
    Options
    Another point....a lot of Curves are offering Zumba in the circuit. It's supposed to make things more fun and effective. And women are liking it. However, I know a lot of those women just want to do Zumba. They don't want to have to stop and do the machines. It's really seen it's day. People know it doesn't work the way they claimed it would.

Zumba Fitness offers "Zumba Gold" which is for beginners. You can look up qualified Zumba Gold instructors in your area by going to the website.

Just trying to be helpful. The two Curves in our town closed with only 2 weeks notice, and some of the ladies had just paid for 6 months, and lost all that money. I got some of those customers. While they miss some of their friends, they all admit that the gym is a better workout. But you can get bored with anything if it's not progressive, so make sure you know how to change things a little bit each week. Then working out becomes really fun because you not only see physical results, but you feel stronger and more fit.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I thinbk curves look nice on a woman!!!.......OHHHHHH,,,,,nevermind..........HAHAHA
  • shona1983
    shona1983 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am a circuit coach at curves so I am biased. I am sorry to hear that a few of you have had bad experiences with Curves regarding contracts but I can assure you we are not all like that. At our club (Scotland) you do not have to give 2 month noice to cancel only 30 days which is standard with most gyms. Also if you cancel and want to come back then you do not have to repay your joining fee.
    Curves workout is as hard as you make it. As our machines are worked by hyrdaulic resistance, the harder you work the machines the better results you get. By using hydraulic resistance it makes it a suitable workout for all ages and no faffing about having to change weights etc.
    We also offer a weight managment program which is included in your monthy membership. You can make an appointment to sit down with a coach and discuss this as often as you like. We can give you advice on nutrition etc and also review your eating habits and give helpful suggestions to alter it if need be. We also offer monthly/weekly weigh and measures to keep an eye on your progress and also so you can see the Curves does work.
    For everyone that feels it is repetitive, that could just be down to the individual club. In our club we offer various challenges, competitions and general circuit fun to stop members from getting bored and to keep them motivated. We also have a coach on the circuit at all times to encourage members to work hard. Of course you do get some members who are there only for the social aspect and we respect that. We find out at the initial fitness assesment what you want to achieve at Curves and work with you to achieve your goals. These goals are also reviewed all the time so we always know what the individual member wants to get out of Curves.
    Oh and Zumba on the circuit is soooo much fun and you really work up a sweat at that.
    Curves have various special offers on every month so it is definately worth calling your local one to find out what is on that month.
  • c2sky
    Options
    I am a circuit coach at curves so I am biased. I am sorry to hear that a few of you have had bad experiences with Curves regarding contracts but I can assure you we are not all like that. At our club (Scotland) you do not have to give 2 month noice to cancel only 30 days which is standard with most gyms. Also if you cancel and want to come back then you do not have to repay your joining fee.
    Curves workout is as hard as you make it. As our machines are worked by hyrdaulic resistance, the harder you work the machines the better results you get. By using hydraulic resistance it makes it a suitable workout for all ages and no faffing about having to change weights etc.
    We also offer a weight managment program which is included in your monthy membership. You can make an appointment to sit down with a coach and discuss this as often as you like. We can give you advice on nutrition etc and also review your eating habits and give helpful suggestions to alter it if need be. We also offer monthly/weekly weigh and measures to keep an eye on your progress and also so you can see the Curves does work.
    For everyone that feels it is repetitive, that could just be down to the individual club. In our club we offer various challenges, competitions and general circuit fun to stop members from getting bored and to keep them motivated. We also have a coach on the circuit at all times to encourage members to work hard. Of course you do get some members who are there only for the social aspect and we respect that. We find out at the initial fitness assesment what you want to achieve at Curves and work with you to achieve your goals. These goals are also reviewed all the time so we always know what the individual member wants to get out of Curves.
    Oh and Zumba on the circuit is soooo much fun and you really work up a sweat at that.
    Curves have various special offers on every month so it is definately worth calling your local one to find out what is on that month.

You sound like a positive coach, and that's what I like about Curves, but how can you add variety, when the circuit is only a few machines, and you can only pump faster to make it harder (pumping faster can be very hard on people with arthritis etc.) What I don't see is the ability to add factors like balance, change in position or going longer, or increasing resistance. These are important components.
  • healthydoseofglitter
    healthydoseofglitter Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I loved Curves when I went two years ago. I lost 30lbs in 3 months by going 4 times a week and watching what I ate. I never had a problem canceling my membership I was a month to month customer. I ended up canceling because the one by my job started having crappy hours. I am actually looking into going to a new location closer to my new house.

I think if you are just starting out Curves would be a great step especially since it is all women you do feel more comfortable. I suggest getting a month to month contract this way you arent tied down.

BTW I never had a hard time canceling I wrote a letter and they didnt charge my card after that.

Curves is a franchise so if you have someone crappy who owns it you will have a negative experience! Go there and talk to them ask other women there ... if you have two in your area see if they are both owned by the same person.

Edited: Also I was allowed to go over the circuit as many times as I want if I want to workout an hour I could.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I love some curves. Oh wait, you mean the place.....
  • J_A_H_B
    J_A_H_B Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @623hernandez - what did you decide to do in the end?

I've been a member of curves for 2 years, and love it so much that I've become a circuit coach, am about to train in Zumba, and am looking into buying my own club!

I hope whatever you decided to do, you were successful in your weight loss and fitness programme!
  • jonerinn3kids
    Options
    Please do not negatively comment on a franchise that has millions of members, thousands of locations, and a program that was scientifically tested and proven effective by Texas A&M University. Curves Works if You Work It. (period)
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Please do not negatively comment on a franchise that has millions of members, thousands of locations, and a program that was scientifically tested and proven effective by Texas A&M University. Curves Works if You Work It. (period)

Geez, why not? Not everyone will have a great experience and that experience depends greatly on the franchise owner.
  • thetaminator
    thetaminator Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a killer workout and a super competitive, high-intensity environment, this is likely not the right gym for you. If you want a low impact, female-only, go-at-whatever-pace-you-want environment, it migth be right. It's perfect for me, as I have to be careful not to overdo it.

My only complaint is they seem to assume everyone is Christian. There are bible verses and Christian references posted everywhere. For example, there was a big "Hooray for Jesus" sign up at Easter in my club. I was unaware of this religious foundation when I joined and suspect someone of another faith would feel disrespected by this assumption.
  • Stacey1076
    Stacey1076 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have followed the Curves Complete plan for almost a year. Although I am not a fan of a lot of the recipes in the meal plan, I love the workout. My Curves offers Zumba 2x a week and also classes for toning arms. I have heard that they are partnering with Jillian Michaels in 2014 for new classes.

The main thing with Curves is that you get what you put into it. If you push yourself, you will get results. I have lost inches more than pounds, which can be frustrating, but I am also toning parts of my body.

I have a daily goal of 10,000 steps, so along with the Curves workout, I supplement with Leslie Sansone Walk at Home dvds to increase my steps.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Waste of money