Tonsils being taken out- Any advice?

Options
Ugh...so I've been told that my tonsils need to be removed. I am scared to death as I have heard so many horror stories from adults that have had to have this done. Anyone ever had to have them out as an adult? How bad was it? I'm also told that I won't be able to do anything "strenous" for at least 2 weeks. I probably won't be able to eat very much either...I'll probably drop some lbs and this is not the way I want to do it. If I go back to eating my regular diet (i try to hit 1200-1400) a day, will this mess me up?

I'm just worred that since I'll be out of comission for a while that everything is going to get jacked up. Anyone have and experiences to share?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I was 17 when I had mine out. It sucked. I lived on milkshakes and soup for almost two weeks. Don't stress about calories, just take care of yourself. The harder you push yourself to return to normal eating and working out the longer it will take you to recover.
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I had mine out when I was a kid, got the chickenpox haha

But a friend got his out last year... Was basically out of commission for 3 weeks, and even after that, he didn't sound good and looked like ****.

Keep up with liquids and actually rest. Don't over exert yourself.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You'll probably only be eating soft foods for a few days and not feel great so I wouldn't worry too much about calories those days. After that you can just carry on eating as you are now.
  • SoccerGal1985
    Options
    I had mine out a few years ago. I had no complications and was back to absolute normal in two weeks. I didn't lose any weight, didn't gain any either. Didn't worry about what I ate except that you are not allowed to eat anything sharp/hard like chips etc. for the first little bit. I would not worry about your calorie intake, just eat what you can manage, two weeks won't hurt your diet too much. I slept most of the time thanks to the pain killers the first week. You can still walk etc, just not anything that gets the blood racing since there is a risk of bleeding even near the end of that two weeks. Listen to your doctor and do your best to get proper nourishment, then worry about your regular diet after. Good luck!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    My friend had hers removed at age 26. She was in hell for almost 3 weeks. Make sure they give you good pain control; you're going to need it.

She also said things tasted differently after that.
  • madaleingericke
    madaleingericke Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Do NOT eat anything with tomatoes in! Agony. Avoid acidic ingredients. Try sugar-free Jello, maybe fat-free yogurt?
    Best wishes.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    hope u do not puke blood like i did.
  • lillivewire87
    lillivewire87 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    People will tell you soft foods like pudding and icecream, etc. For the first few days I could barely even stand water. I would stock up on Pedialyte to help consume the nutrients and electrolytes you need to stay hydrated...because if you are like me, you won't even want to eat the pudding.
  • kutterba
    kutterba Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    All good advice! Be sure you increase Vit.C and quit aspirin and other blood thinners 2 weeks prior.
    Oh! Stock up on popsicles!
    :wink:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I had mine out when I was 18...trust me, "calories" and what not are going to be the last thing on your mind for a couple weeks thereafter. As I recall, I could do little more than room temperature broth, pop sickles, and water for at least a few days. After that it was a lot of soft foods like pastas, mashed potatoes, etc. I don't think I did anything solid like meat for a good 10 days or so. After a couple weeks it was like nothing ever happened and things do get better day to day...but unfortunately, it is a pretty painful procedure...but well worth it if you have strep throat a million times per year or whatever...that was my issue...I constantly was getting strep.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Omg....ugh!!!!!!! I'm canceling the surgery lolol jk no but really, this all sounds very terrible. I have a pretty high pain tolerance but I don't think it's high enough for this. I guess I'll have to stay knocked out. :(. I'll most def look into the pedialyte thing.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    All good advice! Be sure you increase Vit.C and quit aspirin and other blood thinners 2 weeks prior.
    Oh! Stock up on popsicles!
    :wink:

Yeah, don't take asprin, blood thinners or even fish oil. All of those may increase bleeding.
  • kikisalander
    kikisalander Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I did, I was completely terrified because of all the horror stories and...it was fine. The pain was the worst on the second day, and went down really quick after that. By the fourth day it was just a mild sore throat and by the fifth day it was completely gone. I was back to eating normal food after six days (when I had my follow-up appointment) and felt 100% within a week.

Don't worry about how many calories you are or aren't eating because you aren't going to want to eat for the first day or two anyway. Just stick to soft foods and drink A LOT of water. It'll hurt at first (a lot) but the more water you drink, the less pain you'll be in.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    How do you respond to pain normally? Are you very sensitive or are you one of those people who didn't notice they had a gaping, bleeding wound until someone else pointed it out?

You will probably react similarly to the surgery. If you can schedule it the week following your period, you pain tolerance will be better. PMS is a spike in estrogen and will increase pain sensitivity just prior and during menses. Estrogen drops to it's lowest levels a couple of days after your period ends, so you won't feel so sensitive to pain.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    DO NOT LET THEM!!! The Tonsils are Lymph Nodes, Lymph Nodes COLLECT Cellular Waste and allow it (cellular waste to flow via lymph Fluids to be filtered OUT of the Body. Waste from the HEAD, Mouth (Jaws/Teeth/Gums)... go to the Tonsils. If your Tonsils are irritated that means that You need to DETOX because Lymph Fluids are backed up and are NOT being filtered by your Kidneys and Liver. These days most knowledgeable doctors AVOID cutting out Lymph Nodes because it WILL cause Future sickness. Any Toxins in the Body Need to be in the Lymph (Lymph is the sewer system of the Body), when you cut them out future problems will happen. Detox and get healthy before you allow someone to cut on you or fill you with anti-biotics.

Go to YouTube and check out Dr. Robert Morse, ND. He is a Naturopathic doctor and Biologist. He has many videos on the Great Lymph System... You must learn how the Body works before you allow these Allopathic doctors to cut on you and alternatives.

Go Raw (Fruits, Salads, Fresh Fruit Juices) for 2 Weeks and see what happens. Your Body is telling you to CHANGE WHAT you eat, you are Unhealthy and your Body is Not eliminating its cellular waste.

ETA: 'Pus' is Lymph Fluid; those white specks or swelling in Tonsils are Lymph Fliuds, just like in a 'Pimple'. DETOX!
  • lovelyfacex3
    lovelyfacex3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I had my tonsillectomy when I was 19 so I guess that's considered an adult. I'm going to be honest ... it was awful. I also had my deviated septum fixed, an adenoidectomy, and a bone spur removed so those all probably contributed to my horrible experience. BUT it is definitely painful and you won't be able to eat anything. I only ate chicken broth for a week because it hurt too much to eat, let alone swallow. I don't know how others drank milkshakes! I lost 10 lbs in a week and gained it all back quickly because I was starving. Don't stress about your diet during this time. It's going to be funky anyway.

Hope it goes well! If you have any questions, message me.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Great...thanks everyone :) i'm a little scared to be starving, but I guess if i'm in a lot of pain I won't really notice.

i've read different research on tonsillectomies and have read a lot of difference opinions on their funcionality and whether or not they are needed. I'm tired of being sick. So it is worth it to me.

I've gotten a lot of great feedback from you all, thanks! Chicken broth, water, and pedialyte seems to be the best way to go.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    DO NOT LET THEM!!! The Tonsils are Lymph Nodes, Lymph Nodes COLLECT Cellular Waste and allow it (cellular waste to flow via lymph Fluids to be filtered OUT of the Body. Waste from the HEAD, Mouth (Jaws/Teeth/Gums)... go to the Tonsils. If your Tonsils are irritated that means that You need to DETOX because Lymph Fluids are backed up and are NOT being filtered by your Kidneys and Liver. These days most knowledgeable doctors AVOID cutting out Lymph Nodes because it WILL cause Future sickness. Any Toxins in the Body Need to be in the Lymph (Lymph is the sewer system of the Body), when you cut them out future problems will happen. Detox and get healthy before you allow someone to cut on you or fill you with anti-biotics.

Go to YouTube and check out Dr. Robert Morse, ND. He is a Naturopathic doctor and Biologist. He has many videos on the Great Lymph System... You must learn how the Body works before you allow these Allopathic doctors to cut on you and alternatives.

Go Raw (Fruits, Salads, Fresh Fruit Juices) for 2 Weeks and see what happens. Your Body is telling you to CHANGE WHAT you eat, you are Unhealthy and your Body is Not eliminating its cellular waste.

ETA: 'Pus' is Lymph Fluid; those white specks or swelling in Tonsils are Lymph Fliuds, just like in a 'Pimple'. DETOX!

Wow. This is the most impressive compile of garbage that I have ever seen. I'm guessing you're the type of person to believe what others tell you just because they have a degree. I highly suggest you take a biology course and learn how the lymphatic system really works.
  • LeeMC2013
    LeeMC2013 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am 35 and had them taken out back in August. I'm not gonna sugar coat but for me it was the worst thing I have went through pain wise. I did not exercise for almost a month for fear of them splitting open and bleeding again. I lost 20 pounds with it but as soon as I was able to eat again most of it came back. It took me about 3 weeks to even be able to eat anything. Now I'm glad I had them taken out no sore throats or nothing. I would just go through with it because it's something that has to be done if you keep having problems. Everyone is different, so maybe you will recuperate better than I did. Good luck
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    "Ice cream! We're gonna eat ice cream! And we will eat it every day!"

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Look up Bill Cosby's tonsils routine - so funny! But maybe not so much when you have to get them out as an adult! Sorry you have to go through it - it's only bad for a few days :(