What am I doing wrong?

Options
Hi All.

I'm new here. For the last three days, I've gained slightly. I'm up a pound. I know it's not a big deal, but I'm a little disheartened. I've been working out 1 - 2 hours a day at the gym. Mostly cardio, but also a half hour a day of lifting weights like my trainer taught me. I'm not sure if you can see my food diary (if not, let me know), but I didn't eat enough calories. I feel like I'm eating so much more than usual (but much better foods) and I lost 8 lbs in three weeks, but now I gained a pound. Am I just obsessing over the scale or is there something else I should be doing? Do I need to eat more or work out less? That doesn't make sense, but I didn't meet my calorie goal even before entering the workout amount. Is this what's wrong?

Thanks,

Jen

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    The only thing you're doing "wrong" is not understanding/accepting that weight fluctuates all the time, and that the number of the scale is not only about how much fat you have, but all the other things that make up your body composition too. You can retain water for lots of reasons, but an obvious one here is exercise - especially if you have just started exercising that much. Your muscles retain water as they repair themselves, so it's very very normal to see that slight increase on the scale.

The only other thing you could be doing "wrong" (although this is not the reason for you gaining) is not eating your recommended calories. The goal MFP gives you has a calorie deficit built in, so you're supposed to hit that, or at least get as close as possible. Also, eat back your exercise calories, or at least a good portion of them. That's how MFP is designed to work, otherwise it would have given you a higher calorie goal to start with.

You've lost 7 pounds in 3 weeks, so you can be pleased with that. Relax about the scale fluctuations (you will see many more as you go along) and carry on.

ETA: also - 2 hours every day is kind of a lot, especially if you're new to that level of exercise. That's really not necessary for weight loss, or unless you're training for something specific. At the very least, make sure you're eating and sleeping enough to support that level of activity so you don't burn out.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You food diary isn't public so you'll have to change that if you want a review. A couple of questions though that will come up... Are you weighing and measuring your food? And are you logging consistently (every day, every meal)?

How long have you been working out? It's very common to have a slight gain or stall when you first start working out, or when you increase the intensity of your workouts. When it's new or more intense, the muscles sustain microtears and the tissue responds by retaining water and glycogen as part of the healing process.

How's your sodium been lately? Water intake? Where are you at in your cycle? All these things are related to water gain and are always temporary and not really anything to stress about.

Working out for 2 hours is a tiny bit excessive (1 hour should be enough) but as long as you're staying hydrated enough and eating well enough to support these activities, it shouldn't be a problem.
  • JesterMFP
    Options
    Also, when you say "eating better" - "better" doesn't have to mean low calorie. If you're struggling to get more food in, them aim for calorie dense foods like nuts, seeds, nut butters, eggs, cheese, full fat dairy etc, and avoid foods that are labelled "low fat" or "lite".
  • jensiegel39
    jensiegel39 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks for such quick responses. I'll look at my diary to make it public. I just started MFP yesterday, and I realized I entered my food for today! So today I'm entering my food for yesterday.

The reason I'm working out so much right now is because I have time and am trying to build up muscle and help my back. I am trying to convince myself I enjoy it. I have found some free Zumba classes also.

I think I will try to eat some more calorie-dense foods. I have a handful of raw almonds every day, usually chopped up in my salad. I think I forgot to put that on my diary for yesterday. Oops! I have been measuring my foods.

Like I said in my intro, I'm a super picky eater, so it's a struggle to find things I like to eat. I'm trying to eat as many veggies as I like. I'm snacking on carrots and eating onions and green peppers and cucumbers every day because that's about all I like. I'm eating apples and bananas every day also. For dinner, I've been making a lot of chicken (boneless, skinless) and two nights, I made lean ground beef (95% lean). I've switched to rye and whole grain breads and whole wheat and am not having potatoes or white rice at all. Maybe I can have a baked potato once in awhile, but I know the white rice is bad. I have brown rice, but I really don't like it much. I am trying to force myself to like it. I also found a low carb pasta I like, so I am happy about that.

When I say eating better, I mean lower carb mostly. That's my trouble area. I see on my diary that I'm eating too much sugar but not enough fat or anything else.

I'm also allowing myself two eggs once a week. I enjoy scrambled eggs with onions and green peppers and a little cheese and salsa once in awhile. That's a meal I actually like occasionally.

I see my trainer today (I've met with him once so far), so perhaps he can shed some light on things. I know gaining a pound isn't a big deal, but I just don't want to be gaining at all (who does?).

Thanks for the support!

Jen :)
  • jensiegel39
    Options
    Oh, as for where I am in my cycle, I just finished last week. I've been working out and dieting since the end of last month. I started off walking, but that really hurts my back. So, I joined a gym and found the bike and the arc trainer are much better on my back. I then got a personal trainer who I've seen once. I'm seeing him again today. He showed me some weights to try and said to do them every other day. On the alternate days, I've been doing other types of weights (he basically showed me some for my arms and core, but on the other days, I'm working my abs and legs). I just started Zumba last week (I've gone three times) and have been playing tennis a few times and riding my bike for fun.

So, that's where I am. As for sodium, my diary says I'm okay. I'm not a big salt eater, but I know it's built into foods. Even when I wasn't dieting, I never add salt and try to get low sodium products or no salt products. So, that's one good thing about my eating habits. I'm trying to cut the diet soda significantly and drink mostly water. I'm wondering if I'm not drinking enough though. I do bottled water because I don't really like my tap water, so I'm drinking four or five of the 20 oz. bottles a day. Does that seem to be enough?

Thanks!
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You could just be retaining water too.

Try not to bite off more than you can chew just because you're motivated right now - that's a really common mistake, and something I've done multiple times. I get motivated, work out 2 hours a day, 6 days a week, drop my calories, regulate myself into the ground, and I am miserable but short-term successful, then I gain it all back plus some when I inevitably peter out because I didn't do a true, sustainable lifestyle change. That's the big difference for me this time. I started small - with doable goals that I slowly modify as I lose.

I'd get a more realistic work out schedule so that once you know you're into it and have made a good habit of exercising, you can add more if you want. If you're doing 2 hours to convince yourself you like it while you have the time, you'll just make it a 'must do' and eventually keep hating it and stop doing it, more than likely.

You're new to the logging - the key is to log everything. Weigh it whenever possible, as that's the most accurate way. Pre-log calories for the day when you can to help keep you on track. Don't set your caloric intake goal too low (like 1200).

And don't consider this a diet - it's a lifestyle change so it should be sustainable for the rest of your life. The only difference should be in how many calories you're eating, not what you're eating. Sure, you may change some of that - like choosing more fruits and vegetables, but if you're dieting, you're giving up something usually, such as carbs, and long-term, that's not sustainable, so when you hit maintenance (or sooner), you go back to 'real' eating, and you don't maintain, you gain, and you can't figure out why -- well, it's because you didn't change your lifestyle, you dieted. It's sort of a mental thought process that will help you through! :)
  • LiveIntently
    Options
    Your hormones can really come into play... How much are you sleeping? That can also come into play...
  • LiveIntently
    Options
    I found blood sugar stabilization as the most useful "diet" plan out there... I eat 5-6 times a day with a 33% ratio of proteins fats and carbs. I took off 19 pounds in about 6 weeks and have kept it off for over 2 years.... If you want info you can email me and I will send you the info!
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Your calorie equation is the most important thing, and yet you're focusing on exercise and "eating right" like that is the thing that makes you lose weight. The calorie equation is the sine qua non of weight loss, and it is what should be receiving your attention. :huh:
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

The reason I'm working out so much right now is because I have time and am trying to build up muscle and help my back.

If that is your true goal, then you don't need cardio to do that (it won't build up your muscle or help your back). That all falls to heavy lifting and that you do MAX of 3x a week... If you are doing cardio to get the "Burn" to eat more then you might want to re-evaluate where you are in your plan.

ETA: If you are lifting, then step away from the scale or be realistic about it. For example, I weighed myself this morning before workout after waking up and it was 173.5, for grins I stepped back on after my workout and it was 174.5 ... I laughed and went on my merry way.
  • Rocky_ZG
    Rocky_ZG Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    As they said in earlier posts, weight can significantly fluctuate during day or week, even when you are doing everything right.
    My daily weight can fluctuate up to 1,5-2kg (4 pounds)

I think you are exercising too much. If you are unfit, you should exercise some 3 times per week, and do intensive bodyweight or aerobic exercises for short periods of time. Eat plenty of protein to be in protein surplus and give your muscles 48h time to build between exercises.

Too much cardio will improve your condition and burn calories, but it will also reduce your muscles in the long run. And muscles are main calorie burners in the body.
  • JesterMFP
    Options
    The reason I'm working out so much right now is because I have time and am trying to build up muscle and help my back. I am trying to convince myself I enjoy it.
    You're not going to build any muscle on a massive calorie deficit, in fact you risk losing it if you're not eating enough to support all that activity.
    For dinner, I've been making a lot of chicken (boneless, skinless) and two nights, I made lean ground beef (95% lean). I've switched to rye and whole grain breads and whole wheat and am not having potatoes or white rice at all. Maybe I can have a baked potato once in awhile, but I know the white rice is bad. I have brown rice, but I really don't like it much. I am trying to force myself to like it. I also found a low carb pasta I like, so I am happy about that.
    I don't know your reasons for cutting carbs, but white rice isn't "bad", and potatoes are very nutritious. Why not switch to chicken with the skin on (delicious if you cook it so it;s crispy) - things like that are easy ways to add calories. It's great that you're trying so hard, but try not to force yourself to do exercise you don't really like, and eat foods that you don't really like. If this is going to be a long-term/forever lifestyle thing, you need to incorporate the foods and exercise that you actually enjoy.
  • jamie11k
    Options
    Calorie deficit is how you lose weight, and MFP has already given you a goal that doesn't even take exercise into account. So eat back at least some of those exercise calories! I agree with other replies that two hours of cardio is probably extreme, so if you're not enjoying it, allow yourself to tone it down.

As for the foods being "bad" or "better" than others, it isn't a strict rule. If you eat rice or potatoes and stay within your calorie goal, you haven't done anything "wrong", so try not to restrict yourself from foods you like. Now it's about portion control.

I'm not sure why you won't allow yourself a delicious egg scramble with veggies every day? You don't have to eat all of the yolks, but that sounds like a fantastic breakfast if you have the time to make it!

Congrats on your progress, and don't sweat the scale fluxuation. They will come and go but it sounds like you're heading in the right direction.
  • jensiegel39
    Options
    I just saw my trainer and he said I should not eat any carbs at dinner! I'm like, how? He's emailing me some options. I wish I could like more veggies. i eat what I do like every day. I also wish I liked meat more. That would make the cutting carbs so much easier. He said I shouldn't have more than 100 g of carbs a day. I think I'm already over today! So, that's what I have to work on.

Anyone else struggling with the low carb thing and not liking meat very much?

Thanks!
  • Rocky_ZG
    Rocky_ZG Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I just saw my trainer and he said I should not eat any carbs at dinner! I'm like, how? He's emailing me some options. I wish I could like more veggies. i eat what I do like every day. I also wish I liked meat more. That would make the cutting carbs so much easier. He said I shouldn't have more than 100 g of carbs a day. I think I'm already over today! So, that's what I have to work on.

Thanks!

AFAIK, except meat (fish included) your only option with complete protein range that your body needs are eggs, dairy products, soy and quinoa.
    Or you will have to combine several different high protein ingredients during the day, but that can be complicated and requires micromanagement if you want to be sure about complete intake.
    If you don't like meat, be careful not to be in protein deficit during weight loss.

As for carbs I propose that you eat carbs like boiled potato instead of bread and white rice.
    For example - 100g of boiled potato has only 85 calories, 19g carbs, with some good minerals and vitamins needed for your body. You can make it in a nice salad with olive oil and onions, for relatively healthy side dish.
    100g of white bread (higher quality) has 235 calories and 46g carbs.

If you don't like much veggies, good option is cabbage salad. It is relatively tasteless, you can season it to your liking, it has good crunch and goes well with all kinds of meat and fish.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

Thanks!

I would have told my trainer to stick it.... you need to do what works for YOU. It may take a month of adjusting every week to find your sweet spot but it can be done.

I first started on MFP in 2010 in the "OMG I am going to eat 1200 calories"... ya eff that... Now, I eat a steady 1700 (sometimes above and sometimes below - law of averages) and do much better in that realm. I don't count exercise calories since I do heavy lifting but the 1700 keeps me happy, full and I get to have ice cream :bigsmile:

I personally won't get a trainer (some are good I am sure) because I don't want to hear them tell me what they think I should do... I personally am a carb freak. I do NOT feel good without them. I have now made it reasonable with 40/30/30 split. I seem to respond well at that mark.

I still vote that you need to find the balance for yourself :)
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You lost 8 pounds. Gaining 1 pound does not mean that you gained 1 pound of fat. It could be water weight and other things.
  • JesterMFP
    Options

Thanks!
    Any reason you're going to a trainer for nutritional advice? Is he qualified in that area?

ETA: Again, I don't think you've mentioned (or I've missed it) if you have a particular medical reason for going low-carb. If it's just on your trainer's say so, I'd question whether or not it's the ideal way of eating for you, as you already seem to be struggling with it. It's not necessary for weight loss (although it helps for some people with specific medical conditions).
  • jensiegel39
    Options
    My doc told me I was prediabetic and said to cut the carbs and sugar. I got this trainer who is also a dietician, so he's advising me. I'm not sure how much stock I'm putting into what he says though. I have no idea how qualified he is. I just know it's difficult for me to cut the carbs completely from certain meals (he said no carbs at dinner), but I am making a concerted effort to limit them significantly and eat better carbs, like low carb bread, multi-grain bread, brown rice, etc... And I'm eating fruit, but not with wild abandon the way I normally would. I think I'll stick to my food diary to see. It's a great tool to help me realize where I have trouble areas. I noticed one day I did not eat nearly enough fat and calories - what a shocker - but too much sugar. Today, I'm already over the sugar. That was with one yogurt and on banana. So, I am just going to be mindful of those numbers and see how I fare.
  • cmstirp
    cmstirp Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My doc told me I was prediabetic and said to cut the carbs and sugar. I got this trainer who is also a dietician, so he's advising me. I'm not sure how much stock I'm putting into what he says though. I have no idea how qualified he is. I just know it's difficult for me to cut the carbs completely from certain meals (he said no carbs at dinner), but I am making a concerted effort to limit them significantly and eat better carbs, like low carb bread, multi-grain bread, brown rice, etc... And I'm eating fruit, but not with wild abandon the way I normally would. I think I'll stick to my food diary to see. It's a great tool to help me realize where I have trouble areas. I noticed one day I did not eat nearly enough fat and calories - what a shocker - but too much sugar. Today, I'm already over the sugar. That was with one yogurt and on banana. So, I am just going to be mindful of those numbers and see how I fare.

If you're concerned you could ask to see his credentials. If he's registered through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics that means he's an actual registered dietitian. He'll have a dietetics-specific bachelors and have completed at least 1200 supervised practice hours.

Good for you for making some changes though! It is possible to not get diabetes if you change up your habits when your diagnosed with prediabetes. Watching carb intake is key, but you could get some other opinions on the specific amounts and distribution if you want. Good luck!