Thoughts on "treating yourself"?

Options
I just enjoyed a brownie about 4 inches long, maybe 2 inches thick. It was topped with chocolate chips. And I washed it down with a glass of light soy milk. And I did this because that's what I really wanted. It wasn't because I've been "good" but just because I was hungry and I was craving it. I knew that would satisfy me. And later, I'll be on my way to the gym, just as I had planned, whether I ate the brownie or not.

Personally, doing things like this keeps me in balance. Yes, sometimes I still overindulge, but maybe if I give myself what I really want more often, those foods regarded as "off limits" won't be as dangerous.

But I want to know what other people think: how often do you do it, when do you do it, etc. I personally am an advocate of dessert, and I see no reason why I cannot enjoy my salad and my brownie as well.

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I treat myself every night. Wait, that sounds wrong
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I just enjoyed a brownie about 4 inches long, maybe 2 inches thick. It was topped with chocolate chips. .....

But I want to know what other people think: how often do you do it, when do you do it, etc. I personally am an advocate of dessert, and I see no reason why I cannot enjoy my salad and my brownie as well.

I'm not willing to discuss that aspect of my life on the internet.

LMAO.

I eat ice cream every night- "treating myself" means I'm going to do dinner- and a glass of wine/beer and a big dessert with a frothy cappachino at the end.

It's a much bigger to do than one individual "treat" I eat those all the time regardless.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I make semi-healthy muffins (lower sugar, replace butter with applesauce or bananas, and/or add other fruit) and have those as my treat almost daily.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with it as long as you are achieving your fitness and health goals.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    parks-and-rec-treat-yo-self.gif
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I treat myself every night. Wait, that sounds wrong

Nope. NOTHING wrong with that actually ;-)

But yeah, I'm with the OP. I don't beat myself up over "treats". I work them into my calories.

I have noticed though that I do a lot better with just a couple of moderate treats (Clif Z bar, noosa yogurt) a couple of times a week and never more than one "major treat" (mini DQ Blizzard, boutique cupcake) in any given week. When I start doing too much of that I find that I crave it more!! But I still don't think it's BAD or anything :-)
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. Almost everything I eat is something I find enjoyable, pleasant, whatever. I don't see the point otherwise. I'm not going to stick with it if eating is a miserable or unpleasant experience.

Of course, it helps that I actually really like vegetables, chicken, fish, etc. and don't particularly like sweets, fatty meats, or baked goods. Still, even if I was a junk food fiend I'm sure I could find ways to make my diet satisfying while still hitting my calorie & nutrient goals.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    This never gets old...I love it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I ate desert, drank beer/wine/booze, etc pretty much every day while I was losing...I fit it in...I lost 40 Lbs pretty easy. The idea that you have to deprive yourself and eat only celery or something is just stupid.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't think of it as "treating" myself. I feed myself. Generally, I eat 140-150 g protein, 50-60g fat, and 110-120 g carbs a day. It doesn't much matter to me if that comes in the form of what society has deemed "clean" food or not. I like red meat, I like cheese, and I like dessert. And I have lost over 100 lbs and built an outstanding posterior chain while eating those things. So I'll keep doing what I do and not care at all if someone else thinks I should be eating lettuce 24/7.
  • vacherin
    vacherin Posts: 192
    Options
    It depends on your personality - I'm afraid I still struggle to shake the mindset that one tiny morsel of something naughty has "ruined everything". I would LOVE to be able to enjoy certain things in moderation, but they sort of send me down an all-or-nothing path that I always regret.

Luckily I am on a low carb diet where my favourite thing - cheese - is allowed, so I feel very lucky to be able to have it every day. I do miss carbs though ...
  • PearlAng
    Options
    :drinker: :heart:
  • PearlAng
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

AH! Beat me to it.

FINE LEATHER GOODS.
  • vvvalentines
    Options
    I keep my "treats" on the healthy side. A very small glass of red wine with a couple squares of dark chocolate and a few almonds feels really indulgent, but it also has a little fiber and good fat and a lot of antioxidants. Or I'll have a bowl of fresh berries with a dollop of homemade whipped cream or, to be a little healthier than that, some yogurt mixed with honey.
  • lmisskatie
    Options
    I refuse to starve myself....now that doesn't mean those who don't have their treats are starving themselves. I only mean it as I will eat the food I want otherwise I will fail. One of the spices of life to me is to enjoy yummy food. I just do it in moderation. :)
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Here lately I have been working entire pints of Haagen-Dazs sorbet into my day...I harbor no guilt.
  • BranMuffin86
    BranMuffin86 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Just because I'm just starting out I'm trying to stay away from sugar, but best believe if I get a craving that last longer than a day or 2 I'm gonna eat it guilt free. Otherwise I'll end up binging on it eventually. Nothing wrong with "treating yourself" as long as it's in moderation and it's not affecting your goals in a negative way. IMO
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Everyday.