Confusion - iPhone apps for logging running

Options
What do people think is the best iPhone app for logging running?

I was happily using MapMyRun, but that seemed to have developed GPS acquisition issues after the change to iOs7, so I decided to try some others.

First, I switched to Runtastic. That was fine, except that the calorie burns it gave me were about 80% of those that MapMyRun gave me for the same run. I could live with this, but the disparity was annoying - which was nearer to the truth?

Others on MFP suggested that the only way to get a truly close reading was using an HRM, so I strapped on my chest monitor, linked it to Runtastic and went running again. This is where it gets weird - the burn it gave me for my default, 5k run, was pretty much exactly the same as the burn it gives me for that same run without the HRM. So either that's a huge coincidence, or Runtastic doesn't actually use the HRM figures in its calculation!

So... I tried RunKeeper to see what that would do with my default 5k run - and amazingly, it did pretty much the same as Runtastic (the burn values were very similar, and there was no real change whether the HRM trace was available or not). Here are the burns I get for my default 5k:

MapMyRun - no HRM - 500 kCal
Runtastic - no HRM - 418 kCal
Runtastic - with HRM - 421 kCal
RunKeeper - no HRM - 431 kCal
RunKeeper - with HRM - 432 kCal.

Any suggestions? I guess that this means that MapMyRun overestimates (badly) and that Runtastic and RunKeeper are much the same. But I'm particularly puzzled by the lack of change in the burn figures, with or without the HRM...

Replies

• Ditndotsmom
    Ditndotsmom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow. Interesting results. Have you tried googling calorie burn calculators and manually putting it in? I would do that and see how the iPhone apps relate with the most popular results. I've been using your advice on only eating back 2/3 of your burned calories and it's working for me. Personally I love runkeeper. I like the stats it gives you and I haven't had a GPS issue issue since I started it a month ago.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    They're not wildly different, really.

I use MapMyRun, havent had any issues since the IOS upgrade (there've been quite a few minor bug fixes since the main move - are you up to date with all those?)

But I dont use it for recording calories burned, just the distance and speed.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo and a Polar H7 HRM with no problems and an excellent web interface.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Another Endomondo fan here, though not with an HRM.

The differences in your burn probably come from using different calculations. One might be calculating gross, the other net. i.e. one is the total burn during your run, while the other is the burn over and above what you'd burn if you just sat on the couch instead. I'd expect to see about a 20% difference.

There's been massive amounts of research into running burns, and while there are a few slightly different numbers out there, they are all pretty close to these -

Total burn = 0.75 * weight (lbs) * miles run
    Net burn = 0.63 * weight (lbs) * miles run

Which to use? Well, if you are logging it to a NEAT tool, like MFP, you should use the net burn figure. MFP has already given you calories for NEAT, so if you use the total burn, you're double counting.

If you are calculating TDEE by writing down your burn hour by hour for each activity, then you should use the total burn.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I just switched over to Runtastic. Personally for me I just go with my HRM. I found the app isn't really that far off but I adjust because for me the 20-30 calorie difference makes a difference.
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Interesting - I hadn't considered the differences between MapyMyRun and the others might be gross v net related, though my findings (below) suggest that actually, all the Apps are giving gross burns...

For the record, for my "default run", the online calculators give the following burns:

MFP - 408 kCal
    CaloriesBurnedHQ.com - 420 kCal

and using the equations given by stumblinthrul:

Total burn = 419
    Net burn = 352

(and for reference, here are the App-given ones again:

MapMyRun - no HRM - 500 kCal
    Runtastic - no HRM - 418 kCal
    Runtastic - with HRM - 421 kCal
    RunKeeper - no HRM - 431 kCal
    RunKeeper - with HRM - 432 kCal)

I suppose that I can trust my Runtastic and/or RunKeeper numbers are pretty accurate, since they agree roughly with all the others. It seems that the MapMyRun ones are too high though, by about 20%.

I guess that the answer to why the HRM-equipped burns match the non-HRM ones so closely must be that my fitness level is completely 'average' - lol!
  • TwelveSticks
    Options
    *** UPDATE ***

I asked Runtastic directly about why the HRM-equipped figure didn't differ. Here's their reply:

"Actually the calorie calculation is a benchmark at the moment as factors like heart rate are not put into consideration.

However I'm glad to tell you that we'll rework the calculation formula and I hope that we'll soon be able to release an overworked version of the calorie calculation."

So there you have it - currently, the Runtastic app doesn't actually factor in the HRM figures anyway! I guess that the same is true for RunKeeper, since their figures agree so much too.
  • mreeves261
    Options
    *** UPDATE ***

I asked Runtastic directly about why the HRM-equipped figure didn't differ. Here's their reply:

"Actually the calorie calculation is a benchmark at the moment as factors like heart rate are not put into consideration.

However I'm glad to tell you that we'll rework the calculation formula and I hope that we'll soon be able to release an overworked version of the calorie calculation."

So there you have it - currently, the Runtastic app doesn't actually factor in the HRM figures anyway! I guess that the same is true for RunKeeper, since their figures agree so much too.

THIS is why I go by what my HRM says. It is tailored to my body.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I was getting errors with MapMyRun after upgrading too. When I finally read the error completely, I had to change a setting and then I was good to go again.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I use Nike+, as it can use GPS or its motion sensors for indoor track/treadmill running.
  • Trimi
    Trimi Posts: 57
    Options
    I use Nike+ because it also allows me to use it indoors, that is, on a treadmill. I do most of my running indoors during the winter, so I need/want something that can log those kilometers when I'm not outside. It is extremely accurate indoors too, just make sure to either use a wristband, or hold it in your hand/pocket while you run.

I used to use RunKeeper but found its GPS accuracy to be abysmal. Runtastic is a nice application, and highly accurate in my experience (but no indoors mode).
  • TwelveSticks
    Options
    The app that accompanies my HRM chest-strap (Wahoo fitness) seems to do a decent job of giving me a burn figure when running and walking on my treadmill. I could use that when running outdoors, of course, but then I wouldn't have the GPS log, and I wouldn't be able to get distance feedback while running...
  • mreeves261
    Options
    The app that accompanies my HRM chest-strap (Wahoo fitness) seems to do a decent job of giving me a burn figure when running and walking on my treadmill. I could use that when running outdoors, of course, but then I wouldn't have the GPS log, and I wouldn't be able to get distance feedback while running...

Actually all you would do is run both apps. I ran Garmin Fit as well as Nike+ before I switched my HRM because I was having connection issues with my phone.

You can have both the HR readings and the Distance readings. Mine would go for about 3 hours as long as the GPS signal was good.
  • TwelveSticks
    Options
    Actually all you would do is run both apps. I ran Garmin Fit as well as Nike+ before I switched my HRM because I was having connection issues with my phone.

You can have both the HR readings and the Distance readings. Mine would go for about 3 hours as long as the GPS signal was good.

Doh! I never thought of that! Nice tip... :D