Anyone else battleng Pre-diabetes

Options
I was diagnosed about a month ago. My fasting numbers was a bit higher than the normal. From all indications my A1c was close to normal. Depends on where you go for the information. They conflict.

I was wondering if anyone else is fighting it or has overcome it?

Replies

• Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Well, how about this? I've lost 58 pounds and my fasting blood sugar went from 7 to 5.3, which I understand is "normal".

Despite that, my doctor will not tell me that I don't have it even when I ask him directly. What I get from this is that it's a chronic disease that worsens over time and that diet (especially) and exercise can keep it in remission.

That's depressing, I know, but it's keeping me vigilant about the weight loss.

One clue that you're doing good at the fasting blood test -- if you're owly before it. It means your sugar's low.
  • Margarette
    Margarette Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I know plenty of people who have. I know people who have overcome full out diabetes by losing weight. So don't you worry too much! Just exercise, eat healthy, you caught it early and you are doing something about it. I admire that. I also know a lot who decide to just let it come and 'deal with it'. Their dealing with it is not taking care of it.

I wish you the best of luck and if you need any help or advice I am here. I also work at Josiln Diabetes Center and have both type 1 and 2 in my family. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like and message me if you have any questions!
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed a few years ago (my doc calls it insulin resistance, but same thing). I take Metformin for it. I go back to the doc on Nov 24th and will make sure he orders new blood work on everything, hope to get off the meds or at least decrease my dosage! Losing weight is one of the best things you can do to beat it.
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in June with pre-diabetes with an A1C of 6.4%. I started losing weight and by August my A1C was 6.0%. I will go back in Jan. to be rechecked. I don't think it is considered "remission" because you either have diabetes or you don't. If it runs in your family you are predisposed to have it anyway. I was gestational diabetic with both of my children which should have been the big red flag for me and I should have paid attention. My father has been a diabetic for 40 years and has controlled his with medication and diet. If you don't get a handle on it now, it can do serious damage to your body. Pay attention to your carbs. 15g of carbs is one serving of carbs. I try to keep my snacks anywhere between 15-20 carbs and my meals between 45-60 (2-3 servings of carbs). It has made all the difference in the world!! Hang in there and friend me if you would like. We can cheer each other on!! :)
  • IceFaith
    Options
    Thanks everyone! My first fasting glucose was 110 and w/ the second blood work it was 107 w/ an A1c of 5.4

I bought myself a meter and have been regularly checking my fbs and my after meals numbers at 1 and 2 hours. I haven't seen an over 100 fbs reading in about a month. My current readings are between 88 and 96. My 1 and 2nd readings are right in the normal ranges from what I've been researching. I do believe I can reverse it. I do believe that the insulin resistance can be helped by loosing weight. I read one article that said excess adipose tissue around the receptor sites helps to cause insulin resistance. So it makes sense that if a person reduces the adipose tissue then the receptor sites can to do their jobs more efficiently.

The most positive thing though, is that I feel much better and I'm more active.
  • ardnek77
    Options
    I was told a few weeks ago that I am pre-diabetic or insulin resistant. I'm already on the right track by continuing to lose weight, watch what I eat and exercise but the doctor prescribed Metformin. I noticed that I'm less hungry when I take it before dinner as she instructed me to do. I'm not sure if that is a side effect or if it's all in my head. Anyway, with the fear of diabetes looming over me I'm certainly more motivated than I was before to whip my butt into shape! Good luck to you!
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! My first fasting glucose was 110 and w/ the second blood work it was 107 w/ an A1c of 5.4

I bought myself a meter and have been regularly checking my fbs and my after meals numbers at 1 and 2 hours. I haven't seen an over 100 fbs reading in about a month. My current readings are between 88 and 96. My 1 and 2nd readings are right in the normal ranges from what I've been researching. I do believe I can reverse it. I do believe that the insulin resistance can be helped by loosing weight. I read one article that said excess adipose tissue around the receptor sites helps to cause insulin resistance. So it makes sense that if a person reduces the adipose tissue then the receptor sites can to do their jobs more efficiently.

The most positive thing though, is that I feel much better and I'm more active.

Those are good numbers!! You are doing great! You can reverse it by diet and don't forget that exercise is important as well. Exercise can lower your glucose level and it burns off those carbs (which turn to fat if not used). Hang in there and be confident that you are doing the best thing for your body. :)
  • IceFaith
    Options
    I haven't been given any medication and I think I'm doing pretty good w/ controlling it w/ diet. I have found that if I keep my carbs below 110 or so that I loose weight much easier than I did when I begain. I cheated some last night by having cornbread and a bit of a dessert. When I say bit, I really do mean bit...lol, maybe an 1/8 of the dessert. This morning woke up to a fbs of 92.

Now after that meal I did walk for about an hour at a pretty good clip. I done that both for the weight loss and to fight the glucose. Seems like they both go hand in hand.

Thanks everyone :)