Almond Milk

Options
Two questions:

1. Is it healthier than regular white milk?
2. What does it taste like?

Just asking because it's on sale at the grocery store right now, haha.

Replies

• srobertking
    srobertking Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love it. I don't even drink regular milk anymore. I get the unsweetened 30 cals a serving kind. It leaves about 130 more calories I can use for oatmeal in the morning!
  • stephv38
    stephv38 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Well, I like it. I get the unsweetened vanilla 30 cal per cup. That makes it less cal than milk and it has more calcium but less protein. So it depends on what you are going for.
  • taste great! if you are not sensitive to nuts!
  • andreagenther
    andreagenther Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It's good in coffee, cereal, and protein drinks. It has less calories and protein but more calcium. If it is on sale get some and try it out.
  • ramsx1991
    ramsx1991 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I also get unsweetened and it's 30 or 35 cals a cup. I use it for many things... Smoothies, oatmeal, on it's own, recepies... It's not all that great on it's own IMO. It's a bit more watery than cows milk and just has a nutty flavour. I like it because it is high protein, low calories.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    It is lovely. I get the hazelnut milk too. I like them both
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it, but it doesn't totally replace milk for me. I don't like it in cold cereal when I happen to eat that, so I keep reg. milk around. Same with coffee. I have baked with it, used it in steel cut oats, smoothies, and just drank it and I like it a lot for that. It's pretty mild with a slight nutty flavor to it - I use the unsweetened vanilla when I buy it.
  • levicrouch
    Options
    I like it. Wish i had it around when i was a kid, i hate regular milk. I recommend Blue Diamond Almond milk.

Full disclosure: My grandparents own an almond orchard and sell their almonds to Blue Diamond. :wink:
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Use to drink it quite a bit...then I discovered SO Unsweetened Vanilla Coconut Milk. So much better. I found that when I tried to go back and forth with the Almond milk that I no longer found it palatable...funky aftertaste now. :tongue: The coconut milk is 45 cals per cup with 4 carbs, can't remember the fat g right now, but it's very, VERY, comparable to Almond Milk. Try both. There's even a blend of Almond/coconut milk. :heart: :heart: :heart: my Coconut milk! :drinker:
  • Asin99
    Options
    I dislike the bitter taste of unsweetened almond milk, so I never drink it plain. It works well in cereal/ oatmeal though. I think I'll try the sweetened version for plain drinking, if I get the urge for a glass of milk.
  • ladler91
    Options
    I love almond milk! I buy the Silk unsweetened kind, only 30 calories/cup. I think it tastes great in smoothies and with cereals. Go for it!
  • Jillybeanfit
    Jillybeanfit Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet, but it's on my list! lol
  • Fredsongy
    Options
    I also like Blue Diamond with no vested interest.Quality product.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Two questions:

1. Is it healthier than regular white milk?
    2. What does it taste like?

Just asking because it's on sale at the grocery store right now, haha.

Two answers:

1. It is WAY healthier than milk. I have no desire to drink breast milk from an animal. plus, almonds have a great many nutritional benefits.
    2. It tastes like almonds. but so much better. if you get the vanilla unsweetened or the original unsweeted, it's super low-cal which leaves SO much more room for other foods. You can also get almond coconut milk. or almond hazelnut milk. or soy milk (chocolate soy milk tastes like a melted milk shake - delicious). SO many options, and SO freakin' good for you.
  • JimDandy4
    Options
    i use it in shakes. i bought the vanilla and the unsweetened. I usually do 1/2 cup of each in peanut butter and banana smoothies with crushed ice, hemp hearts, chia and whey protein.
  • clarebailey355
    clarebailey355 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I use it a lot, mainly for porridge and smoothies. I'm not sure I've actually ever drunk it on its own so I couldn't actually tell you what it tastes like!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i love it in cereal and protein shakes. havent sipped it by itself but in cereal it is amazing. i get the vanilla unsweeteened. YUM.
  • favoritenut
    favoritenut Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I really liked it, I seem to not be able to have too much dairy as my stomach seems to bloat after consuming, a little is fine, but I've noticed after I eat ice cream or drink milk I blow up...(so to speak). greek yogurt is fine so far...but I really liked the almond milk,
  • OatFloats
    Options
    I blended some soaked almonds up with some water and squeezed it through a strainer, sweetening with honey and vanilla extract. I liked it better than the sweetened Alpro kind, which uses sugar. It was loads better than the unsweetened Almond Breeze, which in comparison tasted salty and bland.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I like it. Wish i had it around when i was a kid, i hate regular milk. I recommend Blue Diamond Almond milk.

Full disclosure: My grandparents own an almond orchard and sell their almonds to Blue Diamond. :wink:

:noway: Almond Breeze is by far the best almond milk out there. So thank your grandparents for me, cause they're almonds are AWESOME!!!