10 days and I've gained 3 pounds.

2»

Replies

• MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    I'm very happy for you! And that's the way to handle it. :) Hydration helps and I just love green tea and black teas. :) Sometimes it can take 2-3 days to shed a bloat, but it can go away in a day, too. Either way, now you know so it won't be weird for you the next time.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Whenever the scale doesn't behave, I drink extra water (more than 1/2 my body weight in oz) & eat more potassium (bunny food) to get rid of the sodium. When I first started more than 8 months ago, I ached a lot. But, as I have stayed consistent with my burns, the pain/soreness is a lot less. Stay with it!! Tell your body who is boss!! lol

Add me if you'd like. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Thank you for the good advice about fluid retention. I drank green tea all day yesterday and got rid of a lot of it. Spent way too much time in the BR. it was worth it because this morning my weight was DOWN! 9 pounds since yesterday. I didn't know that was possible but I'm feeling great about it.

I hate to be a realist, but could there be something wrong with your scale? It's impossible to lose 9 pounds, even if it's water retention, in one day.
  • Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    When I first started the scale went up and down for a while. Now it goes mostly down except at certain times.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    I started over on my journey to health 10 days ago. I work out every day and have been keeping my daily net calories at around 1200. I weighed myself for the first time today and I have gained 3 pounds! I weigh and measure my food so I know I'm not under estimating my intake. I drink lots of water. I don't get it. HELP!!!!!

Sodium is killer you need to make sure that is on point, how much water is alot. I would say atleast 2L of water a day. Also its important the type of calories you intake (i.e Chocolate & breads vs. Veggies & Fruit)
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Ah, another gets caught in the "net". You "net" 1200 calories a day. Do you now? :huh:

No, you don't.

Find out why you don't, and you'll start losing weight. I'll give you a hint: It's your exercise calories that you're eating back. You're not burning as many calories as you think you're burning. If you were in a calorie deficit, you'd be losing weight.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    I can gain 3lbs in a day. If my sodium is high, if I exercise hard, if I eat heavy foods, have a lot of water. There are a lot of reasons people fluctuate through out the week. Do a lot of research to make sure 1200 calories is for you. Personally I need a lot more but I'm active and enjoy eating. Don't sweat the scale so much. Drink some water and only weigh yourself first thing in the morning, after a rest day, naked and after your bathroom trip. Start taking measurements so you can see the real progress and keep working on finding the right caloric balance for yourself.
    How does exercising hard cause weight gain?

Depends on the type of exercise, with weight lifting you usually gain first then lose.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Give your body a chance to rest every now and then, too. Throw in a rest day from time to time to allow your body to recover. I have found that I will see downward movement on the scale after a rest day or a high calorie day (I have those at least one day a week, too!) It has worked for me.

I weigh daily, but only really pay attention to the weight once a week- same day, same time each week. You might think about just weighing once a week?

You have to find out what works for you and do it!
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    1-2 days before weigh in, try not to eat heavy foods, like breads. What works for me is not drinking a lot of water or eating past 5 or 6pm, the day before a weigh in.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Ah, another gets caught in the "net". You "net" 1200 calories a day. Do you now? :huh:

No, you don't.

Find out why you don't, and you'll start losing weight. I'll give you a hint: It's your exercise calories that you're eating back. You're not burning as many calories as you think you're burning. If you were in a calorie deficit, you'd be losing weight.

I would agree if the "weight gain" weren't within normal fluctuations, the time frame so short, and the OP starting a new workout routine that has her "sore all over". I really think that fluid retention and normal fluctuation makes more sense in this case than saying that the OP is overeating by 1500 calories per day.