Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Why?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    they're arguing whether or not the body needs any dietary carbohydrate at all because of it's ability to create sugar from fat. Interesting idea :)

"They" who?
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    You need some carbs for vital organ function... many argue 15-20g a day, which will still keep you in ketosis if you really want to go low carb...

If you're diabetic, this could be suicide, putting yourself into a state of ketoacidosis
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    You need some carbs for vital organ function... many argue 15-20g a day, which will still keep you in ketosis if you really want to go low carb...

If you're diabetic, this could be suicide, putting yourself into a state of ketoacidosis

Ketoacidosis does not happen solely from being in ketosis. These are very different. Ketoacidosis occurs only when the kidneys are not able to function properly. Ketosis is a state of burning fat instead of glucose for energy. Ketoacidosis is when the body is unable to excreet the excess ketones not used for energy. This is most common in Type I diabetics and is very rare in Type II diabetics. For Type II diabetics, being in ketosis can be very healthy.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    That's actually a hot debate right now. I know it's popped up several times in the past but they're arguing whether or not the body needs any dietary carbohydrate at all because of it's ability to create sugar from fat. Interesting idea :)

Paleo is, by far, the best nutritional plan I have ever used on my clients. It gets the most consistent results. Give it a whirl :)

The body does not create sugar from fats... it can create glucose from protein. It is a stress response due to the fact that the brain desires glucose (it's preferred fuel) to function. Sure one could argue that you really don't need to eat carbs to get glucose for the brain since the body can make it on it's own... but then one could also argue the vital importance of eating carbs for glucose for the brain since the body will go as far as to put itself in a stressed state to make glucose on its own at all costs...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The body does not create sugar from fats...

Oh dear.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options

Ketoacidosis does not happen solely from being in ketosis. These are very different. Ketoacidosis occurs only when the kidneys are not able to function properly. Ketosis is a state of burning fat instead of glucose for energy. Ketoacidosis is when the body is unable to excreet the excess ketones not used for energy. This is most common in Type I diabetics and is very rare in Type II diabetics. For Type II diabetics, being in ketosis can be very healthy.

You are correct. I'm just lazy and didn't feel like getting the science unless OP identified being Type 1. :flowerforyou:
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    In...for science.

+1

Is it ok to bring popcorn to a no carb thread??
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options

Oh dear.

I am wrong? It's not ketones from fats?
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what is so difficult about finding a no sugar, no carb diet. You just eat nothing but meat, meat, and more meat. Simple. Not sustainable or a good idea, but simple.
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Look up Dukan Diet . Works pretty well for me:)
  • AprilLizbethWire
    AprilLizbethWire Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Look into Forks over Knives! It's a book and a documentary. If you google 'Forks over Knives" you'll get plenty of research jumping off points. It promotes getting your nutrients from plants - which leaves out refined sugar but does include healthy carbs.

I've been trying to follow it for a few weeks and feel pretty great! I've lost a bit of weight (4 or 5 pounds) and I'm not having cravings for the things I've cut out of my diet like everyone (myself included) thought I would. Plus I feel full all the time.

I'm not sure a no carb no sugar diet is a solution any one should try. I've tried it before (for a few months) and found myself hungry and craving things I've cut out. I personally think it was because my body wasn't getting the nutrients it needed. Most fruit is pure sugar and carb but a lot of diabetics are encouraged to eat it because of the TYPE of sugar and carb. It's not the same as eating a zebra cake or something. But I'm not a doctor or a nutritionist. Just a person trying to be healthy and offer some good advice. :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,889 Member
    Options

Oh dear.

I am wrong? It's not ketones from fats?
    No, pretty sure your right.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Raspberry ketones come from fruit, right?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hahahahah_noo.gif
  • Mere_Dith
    Mere_Dith Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you have a sugar problem you may want to look into the Candida Diet. If you google it you will find some blogs with good info and recipes. Not sure about carbs on a cadida diet but it can definitely fix a sugar problem.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I would really appreciate if i could find a healthy no carb no sugar diet due to the fact then i have health problems that need to be fixed with diet and exercise. Thank you for any tips.

There's no such thing as a no carb no sugar diet.

Where did you get this idea?
    Kinda what I was thinking....
  • shortt123
    shortt123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes! I agree, the paleo diet is very effective. I researched the diet some time ago as I'm O+ blood type. Many individuals experience great results with the diet, including weight loss, relief from allergies, even clearing up autoimmune diseases, to name a few.
  • healthykae
    healthykae Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I can't recommend it enough
  • shortt123
    shortt123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Really?! What's your experience w the paleo diet?