Protein???

Options
Im getting a little frustrated with this! So for the past 3 days I use up all my proteins and even go over and yet I still have tons of calories, carbs and fats to use. Well, we doesnt have protein in it besides veggies and bad treats??? I had 400 calories let yesterday and like half my carbs and fats but no proteins. So what am I to do? :sad:

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You can change your goals for carbs fat and protein. If you do strength training MFP's protein amount is quite low 15% of total calories. Nutritionist recommend 10-30% protein so you can double MFP's defaults and be fine.

If you do want to change your goals go to goals, click change goals, select custom, make your changes then click save changes.
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    personally I think the protein on here is set too low. my trainer suggested a much higher number and therefor I dont really worry about going over my allotment on here daily. I would focus on meeting your calorie requirement by adding in some more healthy whole grains, lean meats, fruits or veggies and just watch other things like fat and sodium and sugar instead of putting too much focus on protein.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    You could adjust your settings so that your protein level is higher and maybe decrease your carb or fat settings. The default protein settings are ridiculously low, anyways. I would suggest increasing your protein setting to 25 to 35% of your calories.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It's not going to hurt you to go over on your protein, anyways. It's better than being over on your carbs or fat.
  • tim_fitbuilt4life
    tim_fitbuilt4life Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Buy you a container of mixed nuts. This is a great snack and will provide lots of your daily protein.
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    Im getting a little frustrated with this! So for the past 3 days I use up all my proteins and even go over and yet I still have tons of calories, carbs and fats to use. Well, we doesnt have protein in it besides veggies and bad treats??? I had 400 calories let yesterday and like half my carbs and fats but no proteins. So what am I to do? :sad:

Kristen, I'm not sure on how MFP comes up with the proteins, but they might be set too low for you. Since I don't know how much you weigh, I'll use some fictional numbers to calculate how much protein your body needs. In order to calculate your proteins, you take your weight in pounds, and convert it to kilograms.

200/2.2 = 91 kg

You take your weight in kilograms and multiply somewhere between .8 to 1.8. If you use .8, this pretty much means you sit on your tail all day, and don't do anything. The rate increases depending on your daily activities. For example, if you're on your feet all day and everyday, and you workout on top of that or you're a body builder, you'll use 1.8. If you sit on your rump all day, but workout in the evening, you'll use 1.2 or something like that.

91 * .8 = 73 grams of protein per day is all you'll need if you weighed 200 pounds and sat on your rump all day. As you start to lose weight, you'll want to recalculate these numbers.
  • mikeivb
    mikeivb Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Have you found your optimal balance for your objectives? The amounts that were originally set for me didnt suit my objectives, so i adjusted them for a different ratio.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Don't eat too much protein! If you do, all your hair will fallout, you will get purple acne, you'll stutter, but only on every third word and one eye will blink twice as often as the other.

:laugh:

Yeah...the protein allotments are a tad low here, but i keep them as they are. I like over-achieving.
  • KristenY18
    Options
    Kristen, I'm not sure on how MFP comes up with the proteins, but they might be set too low for you. Since I don't know how much you weigh, I'll use some fictional numbers to calculate how much protein your body needs. In order to calculate your proteins, you take your weight in pounds, and convert it to kilograms.

200/2.2 = 91 kg

You take your weight in kilograms and multiply somewhere between .8 to 1.8. If you use .8, this pretty much means you sit on your tail all day, and don't do anything. The rate increases depending on your daily activities. For example, if you're on your feet all day and everyday, and you workout on top of that or you're a body builder, you'll use 1.8. If you sit on your rump all day, but workout in the evening, you'll use 1.2 or something like that.

91 * .8 = 73 grams of protein per day is all you'll need if you weighed 200 pounds and sat on your rump all day. As you start to lose weight, you'll want to recalculate these numbers.
    [/quote]

Well I did what you said...........I can only had 4 grams of protein! So I guess I better suck it up and figure out how to eat more carbs fats and calories! Which sounds like it shouldnt be a problem but it seems like everything has protein except veggies which doesnt help me build calories