• markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hope I'm not too late..
    20%-23%
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    If we're playing the price is right I'd guess 22%.

But I think it's closer to 25-28%.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    24%
  • kelseystew
    kelseystew Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am going to go with 22%, curious for the results!
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Are you taking the purple unicorn with you? If so then 32%

If no purple unicorn pillow than 26%
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I happen to like unicorn pillow pets and bunk beds. There's nothing wrong with that!

(J/K - actually my daughters' room since the master bedroom doesn't have a full length mirror).

About 45 mins away from the testing -- thanks for all the replies. Very interesting to see the wide range of opinion (as wide or wider than the results from the myriad of online calculators).

Probably won't get back to a computer to post results until closer to noon Pacific time. Still time if you want to guess.

Cheers!
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    19% is my guess, no way is it 25%
  • pavrg
    Options
    Hah, this is awesome. I'd say 20% max, possibly 18%.
    So he's got your avatar's bodyfat %? I think they look fairly different, and your avatar is not sub 15%.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    About 20%
  • Cortelli
    Options
    18.89%.

And the detailed results:
    Page1_zps103de87a.jpg

"Personalized" Calorie Burn per Activity:
    Page2_zps3411c194.jpg
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I am curious how many of those that guessed over 23% are runner/cardio people?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    From the scanned document, this looks like a two-compartment model, which allows for significant error, especially for individuals low in musculature.

I remain dubious.

But much respect to the OP for sharing this!
  • pavrg
    Options
    I am curious how many of those that guessed over 23% are runner/cardio people?
    I simply compared his photo to others of known bodyfat on the web.
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    From the scanned document, this looks like a two-compartment model, which allows for significant error, especially for individuals low in musculature.

I remain dubious.

But much respect to the OP for sharing this!

What a response. Just admit you were wrong...WAY wrong.

"Oh look at me. Instead of admitting I was wrong, I'll pretend to sound like some sort of expert and claim the test was wrong"

Really dude. You couldn't just remain quiet? Or accept being wrong like a man?

To sum up your response: You think the test was wrong, and the OP is really much fatter than the numbers provide after seeing his picture. Then you tell him "much respect".

I'd say telling a man he is up to 30% bodyfat and then when he proves otherwise calling the results "dubious" isn't very "respectful"
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    23%
  • Cortelli
    Options

Just admit you were wrong [. . .]

Thanks, but I'd cut Mr. Wright and everyone else some slack. I didn't take any predictions of fat % as endorsements of my body shape or criticisms - it is what it is today (but getting better!). I wouldn't post pics like that if I didn't want to get a series of honest opinions. And I was curious enough myself that I assumed lots of other folks would be really curious too. The other available options -- online calculators, calipers, DEXA -- are either wildly random or expensive, and I thought a cheap hydro would help me reassess my real goals and maybe provide others on the forums who are curious with an interesting experiment. I wasn't prescient enough to take "before" pics when I started losing (well before joining MFP) but I thought doing so before the test would be a cool experiment.

I will admit that I thought anyone saying 23 or 24%+ was probably off considerably -- I actually thought I'd be between 20% and 21% but was prepared to be surprised by 19% or so and 22% or so. That was just based on a bunch of online research and Google image searches for body fat for males. Maybe my posted pics don't have great angles or lighting, but I think I actually have decent musculature and didn't think I'd come in at 23%+ myself.

Anyway, I thought it'd be a cool experiment if people actually responded (and they did!) and I was anxious myself to get a better sense of where I need to be. I actually took great heart from the very first reply from Sidestep who guessed 19-20% in part because I had found a thread by searching where Sidestep and a female poster (whose user name escapes me) would share their estimates on posted user pics and I thought they were pretty good.

I'm just happy that I think I need to go only another 10 or 15 pounds before starting to try and add some lean body mass (assuming my stubborn tummy cooperates - some of this is of course driven by vanity). Hopefully this was interesting and helpful to those who read through the thread.

Cheers!
  • TpocketT60
    TpocketT60 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked at all the high responses. +1 to the comment about being interested how many of them are runners/cardio bunnies. I was going to guess 17.5%-18% based off the pictures but got to the results before posting.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Ha - I was right on the button! What do I win??

Fabulous job - you look great! Best wishes!
  • TpocketT60
    TpocketT60 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hah, this is awesome. I'd say 20% max, possibly 18%.
    So he's got your avatar's bodyfat %? I think they look fairly different, and your avatar is not sub 15%.

Wow, you were not even close to right. And I would bet based on his avatar he is below 15%. Apparently you don't know what muscle looks like...
  • Cortelli
    Options
    Ha - I was right on the button! What do I win??

You were indeed right on the button! You win a better picture of the unicorn pillow pet sitting on a button. (you can't actually see the button).

PillowPetsSquare_Unicorn_zps02636552.jpg