How long to see results?

Options
Hello,

How long does it take to see results? Why am I not getting any?

For history, I weighed 225 lbs 2.5 years ago as a couch potato. I decided to do something about it and started brazilian jiu jitsu. That quickly made me quit smoking, cut back on my drinking, and start taking my diet seriously.

Fast forward two years, and I never did lose weight. I am confident that what I gained was muscle mass, and I felt better and could exercise much harder than when I started. My weight was static around 235. My waist went from a 38 to a 40.

I had a lingering knee issue about 6 months ago that stopped me from training. With the lack of exercise and some regression in my diet, I hit 250. I started back mid October and began logging my diet again. Since then I have gained 10 lbs, on a caloric cut that is below my BMR. Those size 40 pants still fit, but not comfortably. Now short of the laws of thermodynamics not applying to me, I can't figure out why. Any advice?

Relevant stats:
31 Male 6'2"
Currently 260 lbs. Per the scale measurement 24.8% BF (questionable, I know)
Exercise regimen: 1 hour kickboxing, 4 hours BJJ, very recently exercise bike on off days.
BMR 2207, TDEE 3034

I own and use a food scale, strictly portion everything.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Are you following with TDEE(-%) method? It looks like you are, but then not, lol. If you are, you're not meant to eat back your exercise calories, as those have been added in for you with your activity level. However, if you are following MFP's method, then you should be eating them back. It's just really hard to tell with your diary.

If you're using MFP's method, how are you calculating your exercise calories? Do you wear a heart rate monitor, or are you using MFP's database? Just an fyi, MFP's database is far from accurate. A HRM will give you a more 'accurate; reading.

Also, when was the last time you had a blood panel done? Had your thyroid checked?
  • bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Something is off here. If you eat at at deficit, you will lose weight regardless of whether you exercise or not. You are either over-estimating calories burned from exercise or under-estimating the calories in what you eat. Unless there is a medical issue such as thyroid problem, you will lose if you burn more calories than you consume.
  • gunger
    gunger Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thyroid has been checked and returned very inconsistent results. My current endocrinologist doesn't seem to believe my diet and exercise regimen, which is one of the main reasons I am logging so carefully right now.

I should have included this originally: my daily intake target is 1950. In the last 30 days, I have had 2 days over 2500 calories, and 4 more days over 2100. I eat back 100-200 calories on jiu jitsu days, because I need the food for recovery. My log is open for viewing.

After seeing the BJJ estimate of 1200 calories an hour, I threw the MFP database out the window. Grappling is not heart rate monitor friendly, but my pulse is generally in excess of 150BPM, taken a couple times throughout class. My heart tends to run fast, but if the calculators are correct, they call an hour at that rate 1083 cals. I count each session as 500 calories.

Thanks for your response, Ninkyou.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    After looking at your diary for a week I only see two days of logged exercise, on most of those days your carb to protein ratio is about 2 to 1, your sodium is over every day, there is no fruit in there and really very few vegetables, and you don't log your water.

I would suggest increasing your protein, add more lean meats to your diet like chicken and fish. Either cut back on sodium or drink a lot more water. Sodium causes many of us to retain water, drinking more water helps with that. Maybe aim for around a gallon a day, it's not as hard as you would think (and I will also drink unsweetened tea and count that as clear liquid). Add more fruit and veggies and get your fats from sources such as nuts, fish, dairy, etc., not processed foods. I would also have a blood panel drawn just to make sure everything is normal.

Invest in a heart rate monitor to track your calorie burns. You won't regret it.

I would eat at your TDEE - 20% right now and see where if that helps. I think a more balanced diet is probably the most important thing for you to work on right now.
  • gunger
    gunger Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks Princess.

I have 2 apples a day, which should be in the log under snacks. I eat several cups of spinach/spring mix/romaine with equal parts of olive oil and red wine vinegar, logged under lunch. I usually have a large class of milk with dinner and/or breakfast. Sodium is absolutely an issue, but I haven't figured out how to cut that out and still get my calories.

I have not been logging water, but I drink 7-8 32 oz bottles a day.

BJJ is like college wrestling. Lots of very close contact. There is no way to use a heart monitor without risking injury to myself or training partners.

Most days I have a hard time getting to 2000 cals. -20% TDEE is 2400-2600 cals depending on the method used for calculation. If I am not losing now, is there really a possibility that eating more would create weight loss?
  • RachelN76
    RachelN76 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I had a little look at your diary, and it does look as though you eat quite a lot of processed foods.
    I wonder if changing these for regular cooked meals might help. It would certainly reduce the sodium levels, and help you get more veggies in. For example, I saw one day you had a ready made macaroni cheese. Well, you could make this, and then have control over how much sodium is in it, you could add in extra veggies, and it would have extra fibre, you could use whole meal pasta if you like, you could add some chick peas for a bit of protein if you wanted, I like cherry tomatoes on top, my kids like sweet corn in the sauce - you get the idea.

I don't know if this would work, but I certainly hope you find something that works for you. Don't stop trying!