To fitbit or not to fitbit?

Options
Anyone had any experience with any FitBit products? I am looking into the wristbands they offer and would love to hear some pros and cons before pulling the trigger.

Thanks! :bigsmile:

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I love mine, though the wristband one didn't suit me, but for style issues, mainly. Lots of reviews on Amazon and Bestbuy.com. Happy shopping!
  • pianolover2012
    pianolover2012 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my FItbit One. I chose this over the wristband, because I can easily wear it attached to my bra and no one knows that I am tracking. It really does help me track my steps and also motivates me to move more. I have had it for about 2 months and I think that it is one of the best tools that I have used.The Fitbit one also has a long battery life and recharges in just a few minutes.
  • niknokd
    niknokd Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One and I LOVE it. It makes knowing how many calories I can eat in a day so much easier and way more accurate.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    The Flex (wristband) will record steps while you are watching TV if you just move your arm around (my brother has one).

Not my idea of accurate step counting.

I have used both the Ultra (old model) and the One for over two years. They both work great! Highly recommend the FitBit products (Flex if you want to cheat while watching TV).
  • donnaleighh
    donnaleighh Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    There are some comparative studies around which compare the One to the Flex - it doe appear that the One is more accurate but the rumour is that that is now improved with the new band that has just been released. I personally have seen that most women prefer the One as you can wear it discretely in your bra or somewhere else - whereas the band is exposed all the time.

Whether to get one or not is a no brainer in my book - its fantatsic and keeps me accountable to myself - but remember it is a pedometer not a HRM.

Enjoy
  • zanmarie
    zanmarie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have the Ultra and like it. Not sure if they're selling them anymore. The setup can be a hassle (repeatedly), but overall I enjoy using it.
  • ChrisRShaw
    ChrisRShaw Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit Flex and love it. It works great with MFP and between the two I really feel like I am getting a good feel of my total calories in and out. Plus it keeps me motivated to move :-).
    And yes, of course you can always cheat, but why would you bother, that sort of defeats the purpose.
  • kawookie
    kawookie Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I really like my Fitbit One. It stays on well and has a really long battery life. It seems to be accurate and it is helpful in knowing when I need to move more. I like its badges and its integration with MFP.
  • mlfrailing
    Options
    I lost my Flex and have been going nuts! It really does help you stay motivated. I am waiting for the new model to be released and getting that as soon as I can!
  • birdybirdybird
    birdybirdybird Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I agree that the Fitbit One is great fun and ridiculously addictive (like monitoring my food intake is for me). That said, there are two things that keep me from using the One:

1. I have managed to lose them twice when they were clipped onto what I thought were secure spaces -- my pockets. I might find two Fitbits under the bed some day...

2. I'm a tap dancer, and a step is not just walking, just like running is not like walking and jumping is not like walking. There's a lot of extra effort going on when I'm exercising than walking. So the competition between me and friends and family is balanced against me.

I suppose it depends on the type of activity you do, and also whether you lose things like I do. If you lose things, you may want to go a step down and get the $60 version, which doesn't track sleep, which is maybe not that accurate anyway -- but also very fun and addictive.

Best of luck!
  • Broejen
    Broejen Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my FitBit One! I've been using it (& an Ultra before that) since August of last year and have nothing but good things to say about it & their customer service is top notch! I clip it in the middle of my bra facing inward so no one can tell that it's there.
  • piscesy2k
    piscesy2k Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Absolutely get the fitbit - its awesome. I have the Fitbit One, had it since May, and it is part of me, no one knows I wear it, and it gives me a more accurate picture of my day. Also great motivation with the friends I have on Fitbit. Even my husband has one now and swears by it, it's gotten him off the couch and walking every day.
  • skelley331
    skelley331 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit flex band and absolutely love it, I have not had any problems with it counting steps by mistake, I wear the band on my left arm but have it set for dominant hand. I use it mainly for the calories in calories out and sync it with myfitnesspal and it's working great, i'm losing weight every week as long as I stay on plan, but I also tend to move more to try and get steps in which burns more calories and you can wear it 24/7, the new force band that came out you cannot wear in the shower. But everyone has their own opinion. You have 30 days to return I believe it you buy it from Best buy or it may be 14 days.
  • lydiaannepage
    lydiaannepage Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Super helpful to hear from so many of you :) ! !
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Have the Zip. Love it.
  • GeminiFitness1
    GeminiFitness1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is coming out with a new wrist one called the Fitbit Force it is little more expensive but it will show the exact amount of steps, flights, calories burned. Unlike the flex that shows light. I just ordered one I did have the Fitbit one but lost it.
  • i_am_stuck
    i_am_stuck Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Fitbit.

Use MFP to track your calories in and Fitbit to (automatically) track your calories out. It is a great combination.

P.S. I have had the flex for 4 months and my force is due to arrive on Thursday.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One. I didn't want the Flex mostly for fashion reasons.

To be honest, within about 2 weeks I was ready to return it. I'd heard people saying how motivating it was, that it made them work harder to get to that magical 10K steps a day. For me? Not so much. Which is strange because I tend to be fairly competitive and have been known to stay up into the wee hours of the morning to beat my own score in some video games.

But I stuck it out and I've found it to be useful.

I don't use it to get my TDEE or to count calories, I don't eat back my exercise calories, so I don't link it to MFP.

What it does do for me is keep me mindful, and that's huge for me. I don't get obsessive about reaching the magical 10K steps number but if I get lazy and don't want to go the the gym I check in with the Fitbit and if I've gone 8K steps I feel like I can take a day off. But if I've only gone 5K steps then I need to get my butt to the gym.

So, for me, it's not so much as a motivator but way to keep track of my daily activity level.

I use a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor when I do intentional cardio exercise, and I also use a simple iPhone app as a pedometer.

If I were just starting, I'd look into the Polar Loop. It supposedly does what the Fitbit does to monitor your daily steps, but also acts as an HRM.
  • astange83
    Options
    i tried the flex and did not like it. For me it underestimated how many steps/miles I did. The last day I used it I did 8k/4 mi on the treadmill and it read out that I did 3.25 mi and like 6k in steps...It was too much of a difference to keep me motivated. I know what I have to do...I just don't always like doing it lol.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'm curious... do you hold the rail while you use the treadmill? People say that throws off the Flex.

Also, there may be a problem with yours. I can't imagine 3.24 miles equating to 6000 steps, unless you set it at a huge stride length. I'm at 9000 steps for the day and it says that's 3.7 miles, using the default stride length.