Eating Disorder Help

Options
I don't know what to do. I have just been diagnosed with EDNOS (eating disorder not otherwise specified). I am scared. I can't force myself to eat because of the voices in my head, telling me that I am worthless, fat, that I am disgusting and don't deserve food. How do I make them stop?

Replies

• MeowMeowMeow92
    Options
    bump
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    See a therapist. Seriously.

You know this, though, because you have been here for a long time.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Seek help from a psychiatrist. If you are currently seeing a counselor, then I'd ask them for recommendations for support groups both offline and on.
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Get professional help, reach out to others in recovery of eating disorders and support each other, seek family + friends to express your feelings too; it's important to vent.
  • MeowMeowMeow92
    Options
    I already see a therapist?
  • hotmomma0612
    hotmomma0612 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Maybe find one that specializes in EDs?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Glad youre seeing a therapist. Dont think there is much advice we can offer you here except hope you get some good help and find the healing you need.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Muscles need calories. If you dont have enough muscle, you will end up looking flabby.
  • tayteetots
    tayteetots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Based on your BDP I would recommend finding a therapist that does either dialectical behaviour therapy or psychodynamic psychotherapy (Psychoanalytic). DBT is often the most recommended therapy to help BPD but psychodynamic psychotherapy has better long term outcomes.

*Edit* I'm going to assume that you're not actually hearing voices and this is your own self-talk. Just try to monitor what you say to yourself and bring it to your counsellor to get help working through it. They can probably help you with some CBT type work to help you with your self-talk.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options

Maybe find one that specializes in EDs?

Definitely this. There are probably several psychologists in your area that specialize in eating disorders. If your therapist isn't already one, ask him/her for referrals. Most therapists will be willing to help you find a new professional to work with.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry sweetie, but there is nothing that anyone here can do for you. We cannot tell you how to get better. But if you continue seeing your therapist and working on it, I have high hopes that you will be able to take control and be happy with yourself in a healthy way.
  • MeowMeowMeow92
    Options
    Muscles need calories. If you dont have enough muscle, you will end up looking flabby.

This does not help. An eating disorder is a mental illness, not someone who wants to be skinny.
  • MeowMeowMeow92
    Options
    Based on your BDP I would recommend finding a therapist that does either dialectical behaviour therapy or psychodynamic psychotherapy (Psychoanalytic). DBT is often the most recommended therapy to help BPD but psychodynamic psychotherapy has better long term outcomes.

*Edit* I'm going to assume that you're not actually hearing voices and this is your own self-talk. Just try to monitor what you say to yourself and bring it to your counsellor to get help working through it. They can probably help you with some CBT type work to help you with your self-talk.

I am doing DBT and schema with my current therapist.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone here has said. Seek a therapist that specializes in eating disorders, might need a psychologist as well who can prescribe some meds. Unfortunately as I'm sure you already know, you have some distortion going on in the brain and probably have some chemical imbalances. Finding a support group among peers can be helpful so that you know that you are going through this alone and will find many others struggling with the same struggles as you, as well as some who may be further along in recovery to help offer you insights and encouragement...hope! My thoughts are with you that you will find healing from this and work through whatever issues/triggers that is causing you to cope/react this way so that you can live a fulfilling productive life in peace within yourself~ >hugz<
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options

This does not help. An eating disorder is a mental illness, not someone who wants to be skinny.

Yea but if you keep that in mind, it might inspire you to eat. :flowerforyou:
  • tayteetots
    tayteetots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone here has said. Seek a therapist that specializes in eating disorders, might need a psychologist as well who can prescribe some meds.

Psychologists cannot prescribe meds. They are not medical doctors, only psychiatrists.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options

Uh....
    tumblr_mi1mtbOJqE1rqfhi2o1_250.gif
  • mingecrackers
    Options
    Okay, first off - what are you trying to achieve in this thread?
    What are you looking for? You need to pinpoint it.
    Are you looking for people to help you work through the 'what's going on and whys' of your disorder, or are you looking for kind words and the general fuzzy feeling of 'you're not alone'?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Do you tell your therapist how often you turn to online strangers for help? It's vital you do--you clearly would benefit from more comprehensive, and frequent, therapy. They will always be able to help you more than a forum can.
  • MeowMeowMeow92
    Options
    Okay, first off - what are you trying to achieve in this thread?
    What are you looking for? You need to pinpoint it.
    Are you looking for people to help you work through the 'what's going on and whys' of your disorder, or are you looking for kind words and the general fuzzy feeling of 'you're not alone'?

I am trying to figure out how to get help.
    And maybe find some people with real life experience to make me not feel so alone.
This discussion has been closed.