Feeling ugly and gross :(

Options
2»

Replies

• jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Trust me, losing the weight isn't going to make you feel any better about how pretty or ugly you think you are. You'll find something else that bothers you as you lose.

Sad, but true. Thin doesn't equal Beautiful. It took me a long time to realize that.
  • myfitnesspalsavvy
    myfitnesspalsavvy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I know I'm doing this for health and long term reasons but what I want is my LOOKS to be better. I hate feeling ugly and I want immediate results so bad!!! I know that can't happen but how do you guys overcome these feelings when they happen and try to drag you down?

You are very pretty, not at all ugly, so stop that!! :)

I understand though. When I was younger, I didn't even think about my health, I just wanted to be slim so I could look pretty. But really it was a vicious circle. It's better to do it for health. It actually makes you gain self-esteem when you do it that way because you are doing it for the good of your life, not for how you look to anyone else. :)
  • CNG223
    CNG223 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You should do something for yourself, pamper yourself. Its amazing what getting your hair styled at a salon, or a pedicure or even a facial at home can do for you :) That's what I do when I'm having a down day. I get gussied up and pamper myself, go out with a girlfriend or even alone for a coffee. It makes all the difference! You are beautiful!
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Ah I know this feeling, when I feel like this I try and change my mind to a positive attitude about myself.

I love this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1118270-an-ode-to-thick-thighs-and-squishy-stomachs
  • unbreakablemoth
    Options
    I pretty much want to hug "YesIam17" for the awesome advice--could not have said it better.

I am not saying I rock this aspect--but I agree with it 100%, and if you find that you cannot like yourself as you are enough to be happy day to day before the loss (and as he said--losing the weight doesn't mean you'll suddenly snap into a different state of mind about yourself), then consider seeking help about it.

I have gone through lots of stages (I am 32): there was the depressed kid stage, the angsty teen stage, the rebellious size-positive "No Lose" 20's stage--and in there I remember some moments of higher confidence--which is cool--but I am currently (admittedly) at a very low point which I am pulling myself out of, and I sought help recently. Sometimes we need help.

Your size cannot make you "ugly" or "gross." Those are messages from somewhere else.