How to train for a 10k?

Options
I'm going to do a full marathon relay in May. I'm going to start training in January . So I'm just not sure how to start. I can run 3.5 miles now. Any ideas. .

Replies

• RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Start now increasing your weekly mileage, as you can tolerate. don't go over +8-10% from the previous week. Start looking around for a training plan that you like and start it in January.

Honestly, If you can run 3.5 now, just 'running more' will get you to 6.2 by May. Just add distance to one of your runs per week and come April, you'd be doing weekly long-runs of +6mi

Hell, you could get in a Half Mar. training plan in 5 months.
  • TpocketT60
    TpocketT60 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You can find a formal training plan online I'm sure that is a bit more complex, but I prepared for my first 8k recently by simply adding about 0.5 miles to my runs each week until I hit 5 miles. After that I just slowly increased my speed each week to try to improve my time. I would not over think it too much.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I was going to jump in and recommend c210k...

...but if you truly have a 3.5 mi base, then you're past that...

...so I'm going with what RunBrew said.

ETA: Just so we're clear, are you saying that you have a 3.5 mile base, or that you managed to run as far as 3.5 miles once?
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Here is a good training schedule for a 10k. I used it and it was easy to follow and increase over time.
    http://running.about.com/od/racetraining/a/10Kbeginner.htm
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    if you do in fact have a solid 3.5 mile base - I am currently using an app by active.com for 5k to 10k. It cost me $.99 but I like the interface better than all the free ones and I use it frequently so it was a dollar well spent. It is really kicking my *kitten* but luckily it's only ~30 minutes, three times per week. definitely manageable. good luck!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Add 0.5-1 mile per week
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I can currently run 3.1 miles, no problem. I'm so excited for this event.
  • bkbenda
    bkbenda Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I agree with increasing mileage each week for your long run. I can now run a 10K without walking by doing this method. Now I am working on my pace as well as preparing for a 15K. I use the free training plans on Runkeeper (sub 60 min/10K). The training plan is 4 days a week with various runs (intervals, long runs, etc.) and the app prompts you as to what you should be doing. I am not always able to keep up with the pace but at least I have a structured program and I know I am improving my pace (app tracks PRs). It also syncs the exercise activity with MFP. 7 mile run today! Good luck!