is just eating a calorie deficit enough? (pics included)

Options
so ive posted many times about what i should do different to have a flatter/leaner belly and mostly all answers are just to eat at a deficit and my bf% will go down. i kno this takes time, but i stepped on a a scale this morning and noticed i lost another pound and a half. (which isnt a bad thing) since i am short however ( i am exactly 5'0) i am worried that ill just keep dropping the weight and be left with my flabby belly, which is what i hate the most! although i did go down a few inches, it still seems large. so what i am asking is should i just be patient and wait or is there anything else i can do?
photo_zpsa342cb3d.jpg before

photo3_zps518516e5.jpg after

Replies

• Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    If you lose all your excess fat, what would your "flabby belly" be comprised of? The rectus abdominus doesn't have much slack, it's part of your core muscles that hold you upright. Get rid of the flab, and you'll have a flat tummy. And you can always tone those muscles a bit once you've lost the weight, if you don't think your tummy is defined enough.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any strength training?

How much protein are you getting?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Sorry, can't make your pics work.
  • janet6567
    janet6567 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Could what you think is flab actually be excess skin from your weigh loss? (I don't know how much you've lost so that's just a guess.)
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I tried to get your pics to work but the link is wrong...
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Yes, just be patient. Eat at a deficit, strength training helps.
  • Artaxia
    Artaxia Posts: 185
    Options
    Do some core exercises.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    so ive posted many times about what i should do different to have a flatter/leaner belly and mostly all answers are just to eat at a deficit and my bf% will go down. i kno this takes time, but i stepped on a a scale this morning and noticed i lost another pound and a half. (which isnt a bad thing) since i am short however ( i am exactly 5'0) i am worried that ill just keep dropping the weight and be left with my flabby belly, which is what i hate the most! although i did go down a few inches, it still seems large. so what i am asking is should i just be patient and wait or is there anything else i can do?
    photo_zpsa342cb3d.jpg
    photo3_zps518516e5.jpg
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
  • sohmui
    sohmui Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Saw a programme on TV last night about visceral fat - the dangerous 'internal' kind that is indicated by a fat belly. It said that once you start to diet seriously one of the first kinds of fat you lose is this visceral kind and that is good. As for me, it took a few months, yes, but eventually I have a fairly flat belly for a 72-year old :smile: But having lost 34 lbs, I have started some strength training to firm up my muscles overall.
  • HanneeNz
    HanneeNz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Eating a deficit will definitely help with the weight loss however its really important to combine this with exercise where possible. Losing weight through eating right and exercising will help you lose fat and gain muscle. If you just eat a deficit, while you will notice the number on the scale is goind down, your body shape may not greatly change, it will still be your body only smaller. Exercising, particularly weight training will help tone and firm up your body and you're more likely to see a more toned tum in the long run. The only thing to remember is that when you are losing weight, you can't really target areas to lose fat first and a lot of people seem to find that losing belly fat takes the longest. Don't give up, it can be a long journey but if you stick at it, you'll be amazed at what you can achieve!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If it's loose skin from losing a lot of weight or pregnancy it may shrink up over a few years after you lose weight or it might not. Even if you lose the underlying fat you may still have the skin.

Also it won't go in a week or two. Be patient, continue eating at a deficit, do some core strength training and you'll know you've done everything there is to do.
  • AlliecoreXX
    AlliecoreXX Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Can't see the pics, but the reason everyone is preaching diet is because a flat stomach is mainly diet-related. However, if you want to be anything more than just skinny, you're going to have to throw toning exercises in there. A good looking mid-section is like 80% diet and 20% exercise, but one without the other just doesn't work.
  • marigolddd
    marigolddd Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    photo_zpsa342cb3d.jpg
    photo1_zps7438d437.jpg
    photo_zpsa342cb3d.jpg before

photo3_zps518516e5.jpg

photo3_zps518516e5.jpg after

Fixed it.
    IMO you need to lower your BF % by calorie deficit.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    The way you get rid of a belly is to lose weight all over. My belling looked similar to yours 30 pounds ago, but now it's much flatter and more well defined, but so is everywhere else. I could not have accomplished this without losing the weight by eating at a calorie deficit. I also do full body workouts at the gym, which helps to tone and keep my limber (and pain and stiff free).

I don't think you can just get rid of your tummy without losing some weight everywhere.
  • jigglyone
    jigglyone Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    ty everyone for the responses. so continuing my diet and adding some exercises will def do the trick?
  • jigglyone
    Options
    I tried to get your pics to work but the link is wrong...

pics are up
  • jigglyone
    Options
    The way you get rid of a belly is to lose weight all over. My belling looked similar to yours 30 pounds ago, but now it's much flatter and more well defined, but so is everywhere else. I could not have accomplished this without losing the weight by eating at a calorie deficit. I also do full body workouts at the gym, which helps to tone and keep my limber (and pain and stiff free).

I don't think you can just get rid of your tummy without losing some weight everywhere.

thank you
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

thank you

Hang in there, and you can do it!