Are you a cheater?

Options

Replies

• raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    "Cheating" implies that I am doing something wrong or naughty. However, letting myself eat a bigger meal one day a year I don't find to be cheating at all. I have learned what proper portion sizes are, how to count my calories, etc. So for me, Thanksgiving is a time to keep that in mind, while still allowing myself to not have to think about it. Do I plan to eat meals like thanksgiving everyday of the year? NO. So for one day to maybe over indulge, or to not worry about calorie counting, I think is a blessing. Bring on the turkey and the pie!!
  • texaskevin
    texaskevin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Slightly. I'm not going to worry about what I'm eating too much. I'll hit the gym early in the morning still. For food my plan is to load up on protein and good veggies and leave a little room on my plate for the less healthy stuff. So, I still get a taste.
  • mlauster
    mlauster Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Oh, I plan on eating on Thanksgiving. I think I am going to rob Peter to pay Paul, cut down some calories from the days before and the days after. I weigh in on Wednesdays so I have almost a week to recover. As for Christmas, It's a lazy day at my house. When I had my first Daughter my husband and I vowed that Christmas would be a day all about "our family", we don't travel, if someone wants to see us, they have to come to our house. We don't spend it cooking or cleaning. It's all about hanging out with the family playing the newest Wii or Xbox game and all the other cool gifts. I remember the year that Guitar Hero was the "big Gift", it was 6pm before we realized that dinner had not even been thought about. Now, I make a casserole on Christmas Eve, we throw it in the oven on Christmas and dinner is done and then it's back to playing.

It's only a couple of days a year, so get your eat on and enjoy!
  • DaddyDave101
    DaddyDave101 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Will you cheat on your diet this holiday? (i.e., Thanksgiving Day) And if so, by how much?

As for me, I plan to allow myself 4000 calories, up from my 1800, but intend on burning 500 calories with a morning run and another 500 by cooking all day.

How about you? If you're from the EU or abroad, what holiday will be your cheat day?

Christmas is going to be my nemisis...

I have said I will still go the gym nearly everyday of the week I am off but the calories will not be monitored on a few of those days... I have worked so hard I am going to make sure I enjoy them.

In reality though I still think I will be better than I would of say last year without being on this kick!
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Canada thanksgiving passed - I was around my calories that day. Just ate turkey and veggies.

Xmas will be a different story. No calories will be tracked. I'll also probably have a couple drinks 3-4 times over the holidays.

And yes, "A couple drinks" is actually a code word meaning "get wasted to the point of regret".

2s629hy.jpg
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    No I plan to enjoy my day, if I go over calories (and I will) it's not a cheat day, it's enjoying my life. Even the skinny people who don't fear weight gain will over eat that day so why should I worry about what I eat. I will say that I don't plan on eating until my tummy hurts though, I've discovered I don't like that feeling anymore.
  • Pickachoo1
    Pickachoo1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I will go over a little on both Thanksgiving and Christmas... but will try to keep it tame somewhat. I plan to go out to eat this year, rather than cook a feast at home... that should help me with my selections and portions... so I do don't do too much damage. I'll get some Zumba and walking in as well, which will assist at keeping the pounds at bay :wink:
  • biggirlnomore92
    Options
    I don't plan on eating anything on Thanksgiving, just my usual diet. But on Christmas, that's another story. :)
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I plan to eat what I want, and as much as I want, on the evening of Thanksgiving and the following day. For Christmas I'll be consuming all the holiday fare I like, without any restriction, from the 21-27th. Free flow.

I don't do "cheating". Threw that mentality out after years of wrong thinking.

I don't count calories, weigh, or log on any other day of the year, so obviously that's a non-issue for me.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I plan to eat whatever I desire on Thanksgiving and Christmas day. It'll be somewhat limited though - I know there no such thing as stomach shrinkage but I just can't pack away 5 lbs of food like I used to be able to.
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I intend to eat slowly and stop eating before I feel overly full. Any time I stretch my stomach it takes a while for me to get back into the groove again.

I will not cheat beause I'd only be cheating myself.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    I am going to eat the traditional things but in moderation. I plan on getting up early to take a nice brisk walk/ run and do some weights when I get home.. Also I am going to have a healthy breakfast and light lunch so when dinner rolls around I'm not famished and shoving anything and everything into my mouth. I'm also going to bring a nice big salad as a side to dinner. Anyway that's my plan Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    @blueangel: Cheating does sound like such a strong word, but I couldn't think of another adjective. Still congrats on your achievement and cheers to your goals!

I call them free days. I log what I eat, but I don't worry about how much it is. For Thanksgiving, I will probably not go over at all as my mother-in-law is doing most of the cooking and doesn't believe in Celiac disease. Whatever floats her boat, I guess. I'm going to make a GF butterscotch pie and my daughter is making bacon-wrapped asparagus so I know those will be safe to eat and the creamed potatoes and green beans (if she doesn't put mushooms in them).
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I plan to overeat and drink too much on my mom's birthday (Dec 21) and on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day and NYE I plan to get alcohol poisoning so with any luck I'll vomit and that day will be a wash :)
  • ra1williamson
    ra1williamson Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    One day is not going to make or break you. Hopefully this is a lifestyle change eat reasonably everyother day. but on holidays and birthdays enjoy!
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Cheating implies that you'll 'get' something without getting caught....You can't pull a fast one on your metabolism.

You can binge, but you can't cheat.

Me? I plan to binge both Thanksgiving, and Xmas day, maybe even Xmas Eve. I'm gonna log something on those days to keep the streak alive, but I don't care what the calories are.

I also am registered for a Half Marathon, and a 20K trail race between the two holidays so I'll call it even. If I feel bad about it come New Year's, I'll register for the Sprint Tri in mid-January I've been eyeballing . If the actual races don't go a ways to balancing the calories, the training will do it for sure.
  • callie828
    Options
    Will be cheating thanksgiving .. Christmas eve n day.... and again new years eve and day.... those 5 glorious days a year I indulge and do so without regret
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I'm in Canada, so Thanksgiving is past. I didn't do too bad, I ate a bit of everything but didn't make myself feel sick.

Christmas is the tricky one, because it seems to stretch over several weeks. People bring in chocolates and baking to work, and it can be hard to resist them all! Then there's 2 or 3 family dinners. I'll just have to make sure I stay on top of my workouts and eat "properly" in between all the meals! (but I am honestly a little nervous for the holidays this year!)
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Burning 500 calories from cooking.... ook

Yeah... wear a Fitbit or something while you cook for anywhere from 6+ people and then talk to me about not burning that many calories. Between the rolling of dough, setting the table, MANUALLY mashing the potatoes, chopping, standing on your feet for hours, serving plus clean-up... yeah. 500 EASY. Especially since I know at mine there will be people who don't know where anything is so once I sit, I'll get back up. Plus there will be kids so you know you get up a hundred times for them. If you don't do the annual cooking, you just don't realize how much work it is until you do it. Especially if you cook from scratch like I do. I never appreciated the amount of work my poor 80+ year old Granny did!
  • fpelletier
    fpelletier Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it really a cheat day/meal either. There are days (like birthdays & holidays) where I will go over but I know for a fact my stomach has shrunk, so it doesn't take long for me to feel full. That's a good thing. I've done holiday before on WW and did just fine, I think I will do so this year as well. I usually eat whatever food I want, just in good moderation. I probably won't have seconds until dinner time and I hope to take a nice walk after eating later in the day.

I think a good rule is to eat at maintenance that day, so basically like a previous poster said, give yourself the extra 500 for the day and just stay on course :)