Best cereals to buy?

Options

Replies

• mrscool5
    Options
    Marshmallow Maties! (Malt-o-meal version of Lucky Charms.....MUCH better tasting AND cheaper!)

But really - most weekdays I do 1 c Kashi Go Lean, 1% vanilla flavored milk and 1/2 c fruit (frozen and defrosted so it turns the milk fruity). 345 calories, 22 grams of protein.

Milk without the added sugar/vanilla may be less calories (or soy/almond/coconut milk) but I gag so much trying to force it down they get mad at me at work, LOL.

Here in NC I got Kashi Go Lean on sale for $2 a box yesterday, which isn't too bad. $3 is regular price at Walmart.
  • andrewj87
    Options
    For cereal, I usually stick to plain Cheerios or Wheetabix w/Honey.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I eat either vanilla chex or chocolate chex every day as a snack. Today I got crazy and ate PB cheerios!!

I don't care about the sugar quite honestly. I have a sweet tooth, especially in the morning, and both of these do the trick!
  • aproctor1120
    Options
    I like Corn Flakes. 100 calories per 1 oz serving. No sugar needed.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I miss Saturday Morning cartoons that was always the best time to eat cereal. I would go for fruity or cocoa pebbles, captain crunch either berry or peanut butter, and cocoa puffs. OOOO and that new reeses peanut butter cup one.

MMMMMMMMM
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Fiber one, in plain greek yogurt with cut up fruit
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Fiber one, in plain greek yogurt with cut up fruit

I thought we were friends.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I like Corn Flakes. 100 calories per 1 oz serving. No sugar needed.

Milled corn, sugar, malt flavor, contains 2% or less of salt. BHT added to packaging for freshness.

It's literally the second ingredient. So they needed some.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter Whole Grain Cheerios! I love these things. Special K Vanilla Almond is delicious, too, but doesn't fill me up as long. My dad got some Kashi Nutty Chia Flax just because it's Cheerio shaped and low in sodium, but turns out it's delicious too.

Most cereals are vitamin-enriched, so your biggest concerns should be making it fit your calorie goals, finding one that fills you up, and of course taste!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Read Lables. You used Cinnamon toast crunch as an example ..

Did you know that Cocoa Puffs Brownie Crunch has less sugar than CTC?

An Multi-Bran chex has more?
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    i usually get cascadian farms granola.. but also discovered that Chex is somewhat low in sugar. So in a pinch that'll do. I have bran flakes at home now.. but they have 5g of sugar.. i try to keep it to 2 or less. Chex has 3.. I didn't look at the sugar on the granola.. but since it's dark chocolate granola it's probably high. I don't eat cereal often.

But usually, I just put oats in yogurt with protein powder fruit and jello mix.. and lick the bowl clean. mmmmm
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Cereal is the devil! It's like white bread - I could eat buckets of it so I generally avoid it.

I eat Alpen porridge every morning - with milk it's around 200 calories. I find porridge (or oatmeal in American) filling and I like having something hot on a cold morning. It only takes a minute in the microwave.

If you want to be super-healthy you could eat plain porridge and add your own tasty bits.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Cereal is the devil! It's like white bread - I could eat buckets of it so I generally avoid it.

I eat Alpen porridge every morning - with milk it's around 200 calories. I find porridge (or oatmeal in American) filling and I like having something hot on a cold morning. It only takes a minute in the microwave.

If you want to be super-healthy you could eat plain porridge and add your own tasty bits.

You've had a pretty blessed life if food is what you consider "the devil." :smokin:
  • sabur
    sabur Posts: 13
    Options
    I don't think it's terribly healthy, but Quaker Oatmeal Squares are delicious. I could even just snack on them dry.
    Honey Bunches of Oats comes in second for me.
    But, my childhood favorite was always Cinnamon Toast Crunch. So. Good.
  • TRACIW1212
    Options
    Nate, I agree. I replaced cereal with eggs and turkey bacon 3 months ago and have dropped 15 lbs (among other changes.) But the changes I saw was that my stomach shrank within 3 days, stopped the sugar cravings and I was fuller for a longer period of time.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Read Lables. You used Cinnamon toast crunch as an example ..

Did you know that Cocoa Puffs Brownie Crunch has less sugar than CTC?

An Multi-Bran chex has more?

^^ this ..read the labels ....the so called "healthy" cereals are not so healthy when it comes to the amount of sugar...I used to be a acereal freak...eating every day, sometimes twice until I researched further....most cereals are just plain garbage...but if you must eat it, eat the recommended serving, which I guarantee noone goes by...most are 3/4 cup to 1 1/.4 cup a serving.......and seriously.... whens the last time you stopped eating cereal at that?? or even measured? i filled my bowl, that holds at least 2 cups and then would have seconds...
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Nate, I agree. I replaced cereal with eggs and turkey bacon 3 months ago and have dropped 15 lbs (among other changes.) But the changes I saw was that my stomach shrank within 3 days, stopped the sugar cravings and I was fuller for a longer period of time.

agreed....stop the cereal, turkey bacon and eggs FTW !!
  • italral
    italral Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've been buying he Bear Naked Fit Almond Crunch recently. It's yummy! I don drink milk, so to get my protein in, I make a protein smoothie and use it for cereal milk. Super filling, and you get all your macros in, instead of just having a carb overload for breakfast.
  • Diet_Soda
    Diet_Soda Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean with unsweetened coconut almond milk.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

agreed....stop the cereal, turkey bacon and eggs FTW !!

REAL bacon FTW. "Turkey bacon" isn't even bacon.